European Rugby Highlights

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Just caught up with the highlights of the European games from the weekend and the pundits on Sky discussed two refereeing decisions at length. I didn't agree with them on either! I wonder what others think (sorry no clips).

1) Leinster v Castres. Away scrum half yellow carded for third incidence of feeding at the scrum. Pundits in uproar at referee. We just can't win. You are villified if you don't enforce the straight feed and abused for enforcing it! At no point did anyone mention that the scrum half, who had been warned and penalised twice already, was an idiot for not complying with a very simple request!

2) Racing Metro score a last second try to win their game but TMO adjudges Jonny Sexton to have knocked ball on in the build up. The scenario was that he ripped the ball from the opposition and in doing so the ball went toward's the opposition's goal line. For me a knock on - but again the pundits disagree and state several times that the law book says a knock on from a rip isn't a knock on (reference?!) I think they are confused with the situation where an attacker has the ball ripped out and therefore loses the ball towards his opposition's goal line and isn't penalised for a knock on as it was ripped rather than simply lost forward. Am I right? Comments?

Last edited:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
You mean this one for the point 1? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-gY86_2WSU

The commentators on this clip (Sky Sports 2 I think) fully support the ref, even saying - "how many times did he have to be told?". So I dispute your point of:
You are villified if you don't enforce the straight feed and abused for enforcing it!

I didn't see your second point, so can 't comment on that.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I agree with you on both. Isn't punditry easy ........ maybe it's one of the reasons ex-players [still fit & 'youngish'] take it up rather than use their wonderful experience & detailed law knowledge to become referees. Or is it better paid !?!!

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Just caught up with the highlights of the European games from the weekend and the pundits on Sky discussed two refereeing decisions at length. I didn't agree with them on either! I wonder what others think (sorry no clips).

1) Leinster v Castres. Away scrum half yellow carded for third incidence of feeding at the scrum. Pundits in uproar at referee. We just can't win. You are villified if you don't enforce the straight feed and abused for enforcing it! At no point did anyone mention that the scrum half, who had been warned and penalised twice already, was an idiot for not complying with a very simple request!

i was watching it live, and i thought the pundits were universal in their criticism of the scrum half's stupidity in feeding again after the warning? were these sky highlights?

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
They seem more reasonable on the live clip! I had previously only seen the Sky highlights show.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Can't rememmber who was playing but friday night St Nigel was reffing and there was a 22 drop out. players all half stopped after the kick and looked at the ref.. I think he said I didn't blow my whistle to restart, so they wnt back and did it again, Did anyone else see it? He doesn't have to blow his whistle anyway.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I saw that. The players all stopped after the drop out as they all apparently heard a whistle, so fairly sensibly he brought it back- decent enough decision I thought!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Where better to find Highlights of last week-end's games than on the ERC website :
& look for the "Scarlets v Racing Metro 92" clip.
As a ref you'll have to endure the French wheeling the scrum on their first try - no penalty sorry Scottish referee, under the terms of "the auld alliance" was unable to aid his Celtic cousins in this instance. Then as an Englishman you'll have to put up with a couple of classy tries from "those who are not worthy" to be in the same European competition as the Anglo-"Normans". Both English and French brought the same old stodge* to my telly, if it wasn't for the Celtic Nations it'd have been a fairly médiocre week-end's rugby! (*& that despite having the world's most expensive players on their respective starting line-ups. - "Money maketh not the man", nor the rugby team, by the looks of things.)

The Sexton incident happens at 3 minutes 33 seconds into the clip ; much as I love the guy, looks to be a knock-on.