European Semi last night

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Given someone on Comeallwithin the Quins message board mentioned it at the time with the line "Joe may be in trouble" .
If those with quartered glasses think it may be an issue - I expect the citing officer to take a look.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Not sure there is a lot in it. Looks like he has gone to push him away with the shin and as the bloke is moving the distance is increased looking like a kick. I would not be giving a RC for that, so would not expect a citing.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
He had no need to even carry out that action.

Whether it is the shin or the top of the foot or the toe of the foot that makes contact with the Grenoble player's face is immaterial IMO.

Citing officer and probably only 2-weeks.

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Thoughts on Poite/Macintyre this afternoon?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i'd say that was a poor decision. yes, his leg is being held by Itoje. but that doesn't give him the right to kick him in the head.

even if it was little more than a tap.

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
i'd say that was a poor decision. yes, his leg is being held by Itoje. but that doesn't give him the right to kick him in the head.

even if it was little more than a tap.

I thought technically a RC so figured RP would have no choice.

Clearly I missed something.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Its plain stupidity. 2 weeks for that alone!

What would he expect to happen in reality? And where does a tap with the shin,become a flick with the outside of the boot, bercome a toe to the head become a full kick to the face?

RC, and "stop being a twat".

At lower levels I'd expect a ref to deal with it with some sort of card, if only to send a message that it has been noted and acted upon, so as to try and avoid any possible future escalation via "revenge" etc.

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I felt a YC for the holding on to the leg and a RC for the "shin kick".

Of course you can read that it was a kick in law:

Definitions:

Kick: A kick is made by hitting the ball with any part of the leg or foot, except the heel,
from the toe to the knee but not including the knee

It seems logical to substitute "the ball" with "a player".

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
It seems logical to substitute "the ball" with "a player".

I'm not sure I'd put it past a lawyer to argue that it didn't count as a kick because the ball wasn't involved!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I'm not sure I'd put it past a lawyer to argue that it didn't count as a kick because the ball wasn't involved!

10.4(c) Kicking. A player must not kick an opponent.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
10.4(c) Kicking. A player must not kick an opponent.

Sorry, I'm playing devil's advocate a bit. If a kick is defined as "hitting the ball with..." then if you don't hit the ball, it wasn't a kick. Arguments such as this are the only reason I can think for disciplinary hearings going on so long!

Engaging a modicum of common sense, in this case it really should be dealt with as a deliberate kick - it was obvious he meant to kick him, he just nearly missed!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Sorry, I'm playing devil's advocate a bit. If a kick is defined as "hitting the ball with..." then if you don't hit the ball, it wasn't a kick. Arguments such as this are the only reason I can think for disciplinary hearings going on so long!

Engaging a modicum of common sense, in this case it really should be dealt with as a deliberate kick - it was obvious he meant to kick him, he just nearly missed!

Sorry that suggestion is a bit like the first night Dianna and Charles had sex. Virgin on the rediculous!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36130239

England internationals Owen Farrell and Joe Marler are among three players cited for foul play in European matches over the weekend.

Saracens fly-half Farrell is alleged to have committed a dangerous tackle on Wasps scrum-half Dan Robson.

Harlequins prop Marler has been reported for an alleged kick on Grenoble hooker Arnaud Heguy.

Meanwhile, Wasps prop Simon McIntyre has also been cited for allegedly kicking Sarries lock Maro Itoje
- Is there any footage of this one as I hear it might have been a bit of a brain fart on the part of the officials!!!

found it! :wow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCn0DMIU27M

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36130239

England internationals Owen Farrell and Joe Marler are among three players cited for foul play in European matches over the weekend.

Saracens fly-half Farrell is alleged to have committed a dangerous tackle on Wasps scrum-half Dan Robson.

Harlequins prop Marler has been reported for an alleged kick on Grenoble hooker Arnaud Heguy.

Meanwhile, Wasps prop Simon McIntyre has also been cited for allegedly kicking Sarries lock Maro Itoje
- Is there any footage of this one as I hear it might have been a bit of a brain fart on the part of the officials!!!

found it! :wow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCn0DMIU27M

IMO, on that footage, Itoje ought to have been YC as well.

Ben O'Keefe YCd J.P. Pietersen for exactly the same infringement on Friday night; being on the ground at the back of a ruck when grabbing an opponent!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So the McIntyre and Marler kicks were judged to be equal. Interesting take.