Experience with the non-verbal

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Very positive experience with the new method today. I actually think it worked better than yes 9.

Is decided pregame that I would touch the scrummie on the anterior deltoid tugs negating any tapa from opposition scrummie or tight heads. Works nicely when standing to the side as you can use the back of your hand to tap them. Works nicely when you step out of the gap after setting the scrum too.

Farside worked fine with a solid nod. Don't really see the point of the hand on the air.

Very positive.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had no problems. I didn't expect any

But still, it's not right. It absolutely crosses a boundary that referees really don't want to cross.

We don't want players to ever touch us. We shouldn't touch players.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's really not a big deal at the adult level. It's no different than putting your hand on someone's shoulder to get past them in a bar.

But still, it's not right. It absolutely crosses a boundary that referees really don't want to cross.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
DrSTU:263365 said:
It's really not a big deal at the adult level. It's no different than putting your hand on someone's shoulder to get past them in a bar.

Yes I agree. And very occasionally exactly that could just be the thing that kicks off a fight.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It didn't seem to make any difference. We still had FKs for foot up and early pushes.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Actually, you just reminded me. The teams went back to putting the ball in and just driving over the ball as they were the only ones that knew when it was coming in.
It didn't seem to make any difference. We still had FKs for foot up and early pushes.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Actually, you just reminded me. The teams went back to putting the ball in and just driving over the ball as they were the only ones that knew when it was coming in.

Interesting.

However, tactically poor arguably as the walk over the ball doesn't give the same options as a strike does eg channel 1 or channel 2 ball, and certainly could never provide quick scrummage ball.

didds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Didn't happen like that in my match,

Q? How did they [I assume all 8 of them] know the ball was coming in?

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes

Probably the same way it happened in my game yesterday:
The non-feeding SH just screams to his pack when is the ball coming in...

IMHO the non-verbal is an over-kill... I understand the goal, but I believe all you need to do is *tell* "yes 9" instead of screaming it.
That would definitely be enough for the 16 people involved in the scrum not to ear it...

My 2 cents,
Pierre.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Never screamed it buddy. It a direction not an order. Screw everyone else who didn't hear. Ps. It is what it is. Let's just manage it.

but yes I know what your saying. Pulled up a few times for not being overly verbal on Y9. My justification was the above. But you win some you loose some.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
it wasn't the ref that was screaming it in talbazar's post.

didds

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
It wasn't used for the finesse pieces! Quite effective in catching the opposition off guard though.
Interesting.

However, tactically poor arguably as the walk over the ball doesn't give the same options as a strike does eg channel 1 or channel 2 ball, and certainly could never provide quick scrummage ball.

didds
Same way that they did it last season (they haven't forgotten all their old tricks!). Scrummie taps hookers hand, he squeezes props in, second row get their signal and off we go (all timed very well) so we get a lovely straight feed and them driving over.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I will go out on a limb and say that most of the early shoves are on the ref for not waiting long enough. they don't uniformly shove without some sort of key or signal.

Biologists have studied the way flocks of birds all wheel at the same time and AIUI each bird is simply reacting (quickly) to its neighbour. In a scrum, birds of a feather, shove together.

(Who said it was uniform, anyeway?)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had two games this weekend, adults on Saturday, U13 on Sunday.

two briefings

- on Saturday both teams lots of rolling of eyes at the IRB tinkering and yet another change in the engagement sequence, and plenty of banter about whereabouts precisely I intended to slap the 9... :) 'round the back of the head' was the most popular

- on Sunday the kids were more serious minded and listened carefully. As advised I made sure there was a coach present and at the end of the PMB the coach told he was going off to now to repeat what I had said to the other coaches else they were going to find it all a bit odd when they saw it !

On the field all was smooth.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
on Saturday both teams lots of rolling of eyes at the IRB tinkering and yet another change in the engagement sequence, and plenty of banter about whereabouts precisely I intended to slap the 9... :) 'round the back of the head' was the most popular

One of the players on Saturday went, "you're grabbing his arse today then ref?" to which I responded, "yeah, I'm going to cup and squeeze". Broke the ice pretty well.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No Game on Sat, But Sunday i did my own U15's side.

the only problem i found was that after i'd called the SET (and they were stable) i tend to step back and to the right and as the SH moved to the side of the tunnel i couldn't reach him, especially if he'd bent down! :chin:

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
No Game on Sat, But Sunday i did my own U15's side.

the only problem i found was that after i'd called the SET (and they were stable) i tend to step back and to the right and as the SH moved to the side of the tunnel i couldn't reach him, especially if he'd bent down! :chin:

Ditto. I have made a conscious effort over the last couple of seasons to back off a bit from scrum to get a wider picture, and found myself having to scurry back to reach the scrum half when it was stable!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Ditto. I have made a conscious effort over the last couple of seasons to back off a bit from scrum to get a wider picture, and found myself having to scurry back to reach the scrum half when it was stable!
Ditto 2

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes - and being close enough to touch the SH can be slightly too close to see past him properly into the tunnel