Failure to check boots

Brian Ravenhill

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ever had the problem of trying to check studs and brief the players when they wont get together to do it all at the same time.

Scenario

Ref ‘Hello blue captain, I’d like to check boots at 2.00pm is that OK’
Blue Captain ‘That’s fine ref see you at 2’
2.00pm
Ref ‘Are we all here captain to check boots’
Blue Captain ‘No ref, some are still getting a rub’
Ref ‘But we had agreed 2.00pm, I want them all here at 2.10pm I’m only going through this once.
2.10pm
Ref ‘Are we all here captain to check boots’
Blue Captain ‘No ref, one is still getting his rub’
Ref ‘Ok I’ll check those here’
Referee checks all studs and briefs players.
Ref ‘Blue captain whose missing’
Blue Captain ‘It’s our 6 sir.
2.15pm
Blue 6 ‘Do you want to check my studs ref?’
Ref ‘Not now thanks I’m in the middle of my warm up’
2.30 Kick off
Ref ‘Blue 6, Blue captain, here please’
Ref ‘ Sorry 6 but you’ll have to leave the field as I haven’t checked your boots, I might have time in 5 minutes. Skipper do you want somebody else to start or play with 14 until I’ve checked his studs?

What would happen if the referee was to try this, could he do this?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bit above my pay grade, Brian. I have no chance of getting everyone together in a changing room, and do studs, chat etc on the pitch about 15 minutes before KO. Main problem I have is on this front is the guy having a smoke and finishing his pre-match beer with his mates by the bar, and also the fact that all studs feel sharpish when covered in sandy soil

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You'd need balls the size of Jupiter to get away with it.:eek:

I do find it enormously frustrating at L7 and above when you make an agreement on time to do the stud check & FR with the skipper (and/or the coach) and the scenario as described happens.

Would love to try it, just to see the reaction of the coaching staff;)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
"We're going to set a time for a stud check, captain, that works for you. I don't want to get the way of your routine, so let's agree a time now. But please understand - anyone NOT at the check won't be starting, understand?"

How's that work for y'all?

S

speedy

Brian,

Well above my pay greade to but I insist that the players are checked together prior to my brief in the changing room prior to the start of the game. If the team captain cant organise that then I dont take to the field and they wait... normally at this time of year they come to me asking to start a few minutes early my answer is yes if you get this done and that...putting the emphasis on them to organise their life and make my job easier.

madref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi

At my grade I use the same ploy as Simon, look captain, I need to check studs, have a quick chat with you and do a front row saftey brief.

What time would you like this done if anybody does not turn up they don't start.

Does the trick at any level.

David

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
If a ref said to player who politely came over during his (the ref's) warm-up for a boot check and the ref said "not now I'm in the middle of my warm-up", I suspect the ref in question would somehow find himself being run at during the game for being up his arse.

I aways air on the side of "I'll fit in around you (the teams)" for stud check, etc. And anyway, in over 8 years I've yet to come across an illegal boot.

Are you gonna honeslty remember someone coming on the pitch whose boots you didn't see?

Don't fret the petty stuff.

madref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi

If one player came over and asked me to check studs in my warm up, I would say sorry I would like you all together need to speak to you as well.

If the captain came over and asked can you so all the team Sir, then I would do it.

Petty stuff, now this I disagree with at the stud check, you can chat smile and put your marker down before the game has started. I think the stud check at any level is very important.

David

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
It's not the small stuff, it's important for a whole host pf reasons. And yes, I HAVE come across footwear that was not going out on the pitch.

I think it's important to do it at a time that is convenient for the team - which is what the post says. But once we've agreed that time, they must all be there.

C

craign

If I can get a whole team in the changing room then that's the best situation.

If only one or two are missing, I'll do who is there and catch stragglers as I go.

If more are missing, I'll do them when the team gets together in bulk for the first time, usually on the pitch for warm-up, etc. I often split them into forwards & backs and do them at separate times if it will minimise the disruption to their pre-match plans and make them more receptive to what I'm saying.

If I can't get them in the changing rooms, the coach & captain are made clearly aware that if I don't get studs done AT THE LATEST 30 mins before kick-off then I will disrupt their pre-match stuff if needed to ensure that I get it done. Earlier than 30 mins pre-kick-off, I'll happily defer to fitting into a team's plans and will work around them.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Madref, Simon Smith

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear - I'm def not saying that the stud check is not important, it is - I agree, but all I'm eluding to is that I'm not going to turn away a player who missed a boot check, should he come over to me when I'm warming up.
Would you turn way a coach/assessor/physio who came up to you to ask a question mid warm up?

All I am saying is that if I've done a kit check at a pre-arranged time, whereever suited, and someone happens to have missed it - I'm not gonna bust a hernia and fret over it, or even turn a player away from the game because of it.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Honestly? I don't know.
Probably because my warm up is a quick walk around the pitch to look at the markings.

It's a two way street - I like to have the courtesy to absolutley avoid interfering with the players in their warm up, and I make it clear when I am available in case of questions. Given that, is it that unreasonable to ask to be left alone when I warm up? I know some guys who make their pre match routines look like planning a major logistical exercise!

madref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi

I tend to warm up as far away from , players spectators as I can usually on a different field. Coaches / Assessors up north will not venture that far south to have a word with me.

On a serious note through, if you do not check that players clothing and he is wearing blades and splits somebodies leg, back or head open I think you will have solicitors round you like vultures in a desert!

When I start the stud check I always ask everybody here Captain, if he says yes then I have be back covered

David

David

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I often find the best time to do stud check is when the teams have begun warm up and are doing their stretching - many sides do this ina big circle, I just walk around the circle as they go the stretches - I always ask if its Ok and most sides seem to be perfectly happy with that. In the changing rooms things are often a bit chaotic - once they are out then the space is better, and they all have their boot on - prevents me checking the set they pull out of their bag - rather than the one they actually wear.

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
On a serious note through, if you do not check that players clothing and he is wearing blades and splits somebodies leg, back or head open I think you will have solicitors round you like vultures in a desert!

I was told when I was doing my National Foundation that blades were now allowed - is that not the case?

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was told when I was doing my National Foundation that blades were now allowed - is that not the case?

Despite one's personal feelings concerning 'blades', the referee is only interested in whether footware is sharp or not. Any footware is allowed from hob nailed boots to carpet slippers, providing it is not dangerous to other players.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm with the laid back approach.

I like to try and start the game with a good feeling anf getting on with both captains, wether it finishes like that is different thread.

If a player came over and asked if I can check his studs, no probs, only takes 2 seconds, so no hassle.

jboulet4648

Referees in America
Post Likes
About 30-40 minutes before each match, I go over to each team, ask to speak to the captain, ask the captain his name, and tell him that I will need to check his sides boots and speak to his FR, so when he is ready for me, I will be over yonder warming up, for him to get my attention.

I put it in the captains hands to decide when he wants to have his sides mental preparedness "disrupted" by me. Its also how I start my rapport building with each captain. I then go over and start my warmup.

But I am with RB and all when it comes to boots, if it does not look dangerous, I am okay with it.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Despite one's personal feelings concerning 'blades', the referee is only interested in whether footware is sharp or not. Any footware is allowed from hob nailed boots to carpet slippers, providing it is not dangerous to other players.

Have never been happy with this responsibility...
What experience do any of us have with regard to the damage caused to the skin of a player when a particular type of blade is drawn across it?
We may have seen the effect of a nylon soccer stud... but a hard plastic blade?
Does the fact that I have never seen anyone hurt by one of these automatically make it ok?

The failure of the powers that be to make aluminium studs the only thing acceptable is most disappointing.

jboulet4648

Referees in America
Post Likes
A good number of US Players wear hard plastic blades and in my experience and from what has been relayed to me, there has never been a problem with safety.