Faking the lineout jump

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
View attachment 3651

One of my real bugbears at the lineout. The player takes the small jump forwards & towards the LOT, but not across it, the opposition number falls for it and follows the 17 who is legitimately changing his position (see it in the eyes) and the ball is then taken at the front with everyone else looking the wrong way.

If I see it I am going to penalise it everytime. While not trying to draw an infringement from the opposition, I see this as faking the jump and needs to be stamped out. It is certainly unsportsmanlike in my eyes. Too harsh?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
View attachment 3651

One of my real bugbears at the lineout. The player takes the small jump forwards & towards the LOT, but not across it, the opposition number falls for it and follows the 17 who is legitimately changing his position (see it in the eyes) and the ball is then taken at the front with everyone else looking the wrong way.

If I see it I am going to penalise it everytime. While not trying to draw an infringement from the opposition, I see this as faking the jump and needs to be stamped out. It is certainly unsportsmanlike in my eyes. Too harsh?

Too harsh? Tell me, do you PK players who dummy pass in open play?

You are PKing something that isn't an infringement. If you are thinking 19.10 (f), that's a FK anyway not a PK, but I don't think that applies here. The player is not trying to draw the opponent into an infringement, he's trying to distract the opposition from where the ball is going to be thrown, and succeeded... good on him and well done IMO.

Rugby Union would be a pretty staid and boring game if deception was an infringement (and I guess there are some people who would prefer it that way). I know there are times when it is an infringement (SH dummying at the Ruck, Maul & Scrum, and thrower dummying at the lineout) but they are specifically because they are intended to draw the opposition into offside or another infringement.

PS: your attachment was working, and now its not. Try re-attaching or hotlinking from a source using the

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The OP approach would mean a half step non jump at #7 in the lineout would be penalised if the ball was thrown to #2.

Nahhh

didds

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Maybe penalise an early lift , if it had material impact .
But if player has stayed his side of line of touch .
He can jump from his own making ( as in not been lifted ) like a jack in box if he wants ..

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Another one of these again?

"This act doesn't within my moral worldview of what should happen in a match, so I shall penalize it"

It isn't an offence. Don't do it. Please. It' isn't right, and you're also setting next week's ref up for a problem when he correctly applies the law.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Too harsh? Tell me, do you PK players who dummy pass in open play?

You are PKing something that isn't an infringement. If you are thinking 19.10 (f), that's a FK anyway not a PK, but I don't think that applies here. The player is not trying to draw the opponent into an infringement, he's trying to distract the opposition from where the ball is going to be thrown, and succeeded... good on him and well done IMO.

Rugby Union would be a pretty staid and boring game if deception was an infringement (and I guess there are some people who would prefer it that way). I know there are times when it is an infringement (SH dummying at the Ruck, Maul & Scrum, and thrower dummying at the lineout) but they are specifically because they are intended to draw the opposition into offside or another infringement.

PS: your attachment was working, and now its not. Try re-attaching or hotlinking from a source using the BBCode[/QUOTE]

concede the fk infringement rather PK. A typo on my part!

it was certainly a jump and not a "step in any direction" and material to him being the player able to take possession at the front of the line which he did when the ball did come in

So for me it is the sort of deception beyond what the laws permit. That's why I asked for a view. It's one of those things that the laŵ developments have unnecessarily added complication when all you want to do is to get the ball back in play. If WR are fan of the quick throw in, they should get rid of all this rubbish imo.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I can't open the link but if both feet off ground at same time that is technically an early jump.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
So for me it is the sort of deception beyond what the laws permit.

Other than personal morals, what can you base that on that would stand up to any kind of challenge?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well, there are tons of things going on at every lineout. If you are focusing on a relatively minor thing like this, I'll bet there is a good chance you could be missing far more important and material things.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Other than personal morals, what can you base that on that would stand up to any kind of challenge?

SimonS - I think you're being a bit harsh on chuckie. The laws are very clear under 19.10(f) that jumping before the throw in is not permitted. Perhaps in your mind you were thinking chuckie was describing a small bob where the player's feign a jump but their feet barely leave the ground - I agree that that should not result in a FK. Whereas I think chukie did clarify that it is more than a step - it is a small jump!

I think it is one to manage - you may let it go first time - but on the next lineout I would be saying to the feign jumper that he should be careful with his baulk jump that his feet do not leave the ground as it may be construed as an early jump.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Another one of these again?

"This act doesn't within my moral worldview of what should happen in a match, so I shall penalize it"

It isn't an offence. Don't do it. Please. It' isn't right, and you're also setting next week's ref up for a problem when he correctly applies the law.

Sorry - I'm calling this one out as unnecessarily passive aggressive response to a genuine query about a situation a referee seeking some management advice.

Chuckie asked if his management was too harsh? I don't think he deserved this response at all.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
concede the fk infringement rather PK. A typo on my part!

it was certainly a jump and not a "step in any direction" and material to him being the player able to take possession at the front of the line which he did when the ball did come in

So for me it is the sort of deception beyond what the laws permit. That's why I asked for a view. It's one of those things that the laŵ developments have unnecessarily added complication when all you want to do is to get the ball back in play. If WR are fan of the quick throw in, they should get rid of all this rubbish imo.

A working link would help people to say if they agree with your interpretation of events.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Sorry - I'm calling this one out as unnecessarily passive aggressive response to a genuine query about a situation a referee seeking some management advice.

Chuckie asked if his management was too harsh? I don't think he deserved this response at all.

Well, it wasn't passive aggressive, it was a straightforward statement of how I reacted to the question.

Possibly unfairly to the OP, but I get a TON of these questions over here in the US, and this was of the same ilk. I stand by my philosophical outlook on the question though.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The lineout is (since the advent of lifting) one of the best opportunities for creative play. Please don't strangle it with unnecessary and unsupported (in law) penalties.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
If a player of the non-throwing side jumps early do you FK them? What if a player from each team jumps early? I appreciate the two players are jumping for different reasons but being a simple soul I would expect both teams to wait until the ball is thrown; the law as written does not differentiate -as many players will remind you if you only FK one of them.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I had quite a few jumping earlies in LOs in my game on Saturday - I did remind them a couple of times but surprisingly they appeared to have no material effect on the LOs (and as such the game) which was good. Think of a reason not to blow the whistle.:)

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
View attachment 3651

hopefully now.

IMG_0355.jpg

Yes he he took a jump of from 2 slightly towards the LoT into the space occupied by 17 and the ball was then thrown directly to him and off he went.

Last edited:

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
And I am sure that had the ball gone to any other position in the line I would have let it go as not material but keeping an eye out.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Jumping early is a fine line. Having no to remind u15's u16's that they get away with it only so long as they are learning the lift and then the lift and compete. At some point they do need to recognise there are laws that do need to be applied. Otherwise such habits go unchecked and then become the norm for them.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just putting this out there.
Why is it the lineout jumpers can baulk a jump...but the thrower cannot baulk a throw?

So what do you do when the opp jumps to cause the thrower to baulk his throw? FK the jumper or the thrower?