Fed up ...

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
the questioning of referees by spectators and coaches from the touch line is getting worse .. despite all the PR work with posters and leaflets etc .. about codes of conduct, coaches and spectators still stand there and scream ....openly questioning decisions loudly

then the players listen to their so-called role models... and you have a running battle trying to keep all calm ....

classic ... after some show of dissent already
yellow left winger dives on the ball ...
red right winger falls on top ...
before i can get my whistle to my mouth or shout "seen it ..." that touchline is screaming .. and yellow players start screaming ... "rediculous" "awful" "joke" etc etc
so, i shout (above the clamour) .. 'penatly to yellow .. but i will reverse the next one if i hear any more dissent' ... (more 'rediculous' 'joke' shouts)

seems to be some clubs only but .... is definitely getting worse.

have written an email to the chairman of youth of that club .. asking for the group to be reminded of the code of ocnduct... only to be hit by a serious complaint email from the coach about my bias and loss of control !

serious issues with expectations .... i think that they havent been refereed by a good strong referee before .... e.g. breakdown interpretations ... but they should still listen to the ref and comply .. and certainly not threaten to walk off the pitch etc !

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Stop doing junior rugby at that club(s) and/or suggest your Society speak to them. I assume it was a Soc. appt.

I did a U17 last month, first junior game since I abandoned an U16 game 16 months ago and I enjoyed it immensely - it really is just a few clubs (as you say) and it is they who need a rocket up their collective arses!

I think if a junior team threatened to walk off, I'd let 'em, collect my money and never go back again - tossers!

A lot of these coaches think they're coaching England and invariably were shite players themselves - living out their dreams of glory through their kids by winning the Twatshire U15 County Cup - tossers!

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
have written an email to the chairman of youth of that club .. asking for the group to be reminded of the code of ocnduct... only to be hit by a serious complaint email from the coach about my bias and loss of control !

which i presume your society threw out?

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
You get down at U11's with the coaches yelling about decisions from the sidelines. The kids pick up on it and start doing it themsleves. I remind the kids (and the adults) who is reffing the game ask (sometimes abruptly) to allow me to do it.

Seems to work.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Immediate long hard blast and instant PK signal, followed by "diving on top/going to ground" signal.

I don't think you can reverse a PK for comments from the crowd, if you could then as a blue supporter I'd be criticising you all the time for not awardimg PKs to red!!:)

With regard to the players "appealing" then the loud comment that the crowd hears about reversing is simply inviting comment. Call over the captain, and discuss it quietly with him - tell him to go and tell his players that they must not scream and appeal for a decision, if they do then the penalty will be reversed.

Don't ever shout above the clamour. Use the whistle and signal, and bring the person you want to talk to to you, and talk in a normal voice. If you're shouting as well it really undermines your own authority.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Davet .. i know it's an immediate blow .. but the scream were before i could even put my whistle to my mouth !
i was going to reverse the penalty for comments/ dissent by the players !
para 3 . already tried this. wasnt the first time !
para 4. easy to say now . and myabe i should have doen so but the noise was loud and long wasnt just one shout ! and wasnt the first time !
it was getting on my tits

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
wasnt a dirty game but 3x Ycs and 2x Ycs.
repeated high tackles and accumulation of breakdown offences ... close hard fought game 15-17, no punches etc ... just tense and tight
i thought i controlled it ok and cards worked ... dont know where the got the idea of bias from ...

Davet

Post Likes
Long hard blow will often shut up the appealers... but you do seem to get some problematic crowds, I don't envy you.

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
the questioning of referees by spectators and coaches from the touch line is getting worse .. despite all the PR work with posters and leaflets etc .. about codes of conduct, coaches and spectators still stand there and scream ....openly questioning decisions loudly

then the players listen to their so-called role models... and you have a running battle trying to keep all calm ....

classic ... after some show of dissent already
yellow left winger dives on the ball ...
red right winger falls on top ...
before i can get my whistle to my mouth or shout "seen it ..." that touchline is screaming .. and yellow players start screaming ... "rediculous" "awful" "joke" etc etc
so, i shout (above the clamour) .. 'penatly to yellow .. but i will reverse the next one if i hear any more dissent' ... (more 'rediculous' 'joke' shouts)

seems to be some clubs only but .... is definitely getting worse.

serious issues with expectations .... i think that they havent been refereed by a good strong referee before .... e.g. breakdown interpretations ... but they should still listen to the ref and comply .. and certainly not threaten to walk off the pitch etc !

For a coach to put this in writing/email, they must be idiotic. Do they seriously believe that you and dozens of other people give up their free time to trot along to their (any) club and show bias in refereeing. I think this is more insulting than all the chat and dissent, which in itself is a disgrace. This is a serious issue, in that they effectively brand you a cheat, aside from the general poor behaviour, both on and off the pitch. What they do to you this week, they will do to another referee next week.
If I were you I would pursue the matter to the highest possible authority to try and ensure said coach and club get a serious rocketing. Do it, they deserve it.
I don't know the procedure, but someone like Simon Thomas will know how to proceed properly.

niall murphy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I fully understand your position and you have my sympathy. I would send a report to your society with a copy of the e-mail. If a coach has difficulties in getting a ref then the club may have to remove him for the good of the team.:wink: Thankfully this doesn't happen too often so next week will be better. N

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

richie

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
from same club, i think, maybe i got it wrong:wow: , if so :noyc: for me

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ex-Lucy, if it's any consolation you're not alone. Had an extraordinary case where a U.15 coach felt that a L.6 ref was not up to handling the match before him, and made that point loudly from the touchline!

God knows where these guys get their expectations from.

Davet

Post Likes
Maybe he thought the ref was graded U6?

niall murphy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
What really bothers me about these types of coaches is that his team looses focus and then looses the game, and the coach naturally blames the ref. instead of looking at himself. I find the parents on the side line take their cues from the coach and his attitude. I like to remind the coaches at the start that he should lead by example.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
just written a report ...
in summary, i think its about expectations ... this team have probably been reffed by elras or club refs .. so a L9 with 20 yrs experience and who is strong at breakdowns etc ... cruel to be kind is my mantra here ... meant that they didnt get away with stuff they normally do.
3 ycs in one match, he says is more than last 3 seasons .. no punching he says .. but then he doesnt u/stand why i gave the cards ... repeat high tackles and repeat tackle zone offences ...
the coach didnt know about rolling subs, 25 mins each way, injured player off the pitch means play on etc

one of the things we learnt the other day at a meeting was .. dont be bullied into reffing as the coach wants you to .. keep to your standards.
this may the crux. i think they are used to winning well and bullying all about them ...

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Happens on this side of the pond, too. Quite frustrating. To the point where many Saturdays I'm left wondering why I'm there if that's the attitude from the coaches and players.

I was accused of bias the first game I reffed in Vancouver. I'd never even heard of either club in my life. Ridiculous.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Niall, " like to remind the coaches at the start that he should lead by example" - i wish i had said similar to this coach but he is from a Premiership club and he looked the part. his team were warming up a good hour beforehand and the prematch brief went well (if ignored later) so all signs looked good !

lesson learnt ...
i will tell all coaches "at the start that he should lead by example"