Federation Exchange to the USA

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hmmm.

I've just been offered a place on the SWP Federation exchange to the USA in September. It sounds great - contribution towards flights and then the accommodation is provided (partly by other refs). It's the usual two week job, the first weekend is a student tournament, then the second weekend is the Aspen Rugby Festival (yet another ski resort I'll have visited in the summer). For the Aspen Rugby Festival we apparantly get put up in a pretty decent hotel.

There is a slight problem though... I'm likely to be absent for a lot of next season (mid-November to April), so would feel slightly wierd about taking the place (which is, admittidly, a newly freed up place). On the other hand, it's a fantastic opportunity and I suspect it would be excellent for my refereeing, which I will naturally continue after my absence.

PS. Any American refs, what is the Aspen Rugby Festival like?

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Simon, the opp is there for the taking. Those who have asked will know of your circumstances (I assume) so they've taken it into consideration so why should you feel like turning it down?

Having done two trips to SA (one Society exchange, one Panel) they are fantastic - a real opportunity to meet other rugby folk but also to see what rugby is like from another viewpoint. Depending on your personal circs too, it's also nice to be away from home for a bit! :wink:

I think you'd regret it forever if you didn't take it up.

David J.

Referees in America
Post Likes
"Ruggerfest" as it's known, is a great tournament. Aspen, once one of the top teams in the country has fallen a bit due to some poor choices by club management, but the tournament still attracts a few of the stronger clubs in the US and many regional clubs.

The town of Aspen is beautiful and expensive (it's a ski resort), so if you're getting your travel and accommodation covered, you're doing great. The pitch is in the center of town and Aspen is a very pro-rugby town and great to walk around in.

I've never attended as a referee, only as a player and that was several years ago, so I don't know how the tournament rates for referees specifically.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Go west, young man!

SF_Rugger

Referees in America
Post Likes
My advise is to take it. It is a life experience that should not be passed on. :clap:

I am in the same boat as David J, but if my memory serves me, the games are all played in a great spirit and the teams are some of the better ones in the country. There are several divisions (50+, 45+, 35+, Mens and Womens). It is a great atmosphere and always a good time.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
can you think of a really, REALLY good reason NOT to go. If not take the opportonity you are being presented with and worry about the future when you get there.

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Having just come back from a Durham Society exchange to Washington DC I would say go. The experience was amazing, the guys looking after us were so friendly and welcoming. It was very interesting to see a different style of rugby, especially in a nation dominated by other sports.

Go for it!!

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
But if all that doesn't persuade you, I will happily see if The Present Mrs Ref will allow me a week in the US! Just let me know if you don't fancy it!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Having just come back from a Durham Society exchange to Washington DC I would say go. The experience was amazing, the guys looking after us were so friendly and welcoming. It was very interesting to see a different style of rugby, especially in a nation dominated by other sports.

Go for it!!

You @rse
I live 50 miles from DC, and work just over the bridge!! We could have had the first intercontinental beerfest!

Which games did you get?

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
And so it was confirmed! :bday:

Thanks everyone on here for the kick up the arse. Now, I've got to learn the laws. (The ELVs that is, not all of them, I'd have hoped I knew most of them by now).

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
You @rse
I live 50 miles from DC, and work just over the bridge!! We could have had the first intercontinental beerfest!

Which games did you get?

Sorry Simon, I didn't think to post on here I was going.

I did:

NOVA U19 vs Western Suburbs U19 on Friday 28th March
PAC A vs Doylestown in central DC on Saturday 29th March
Archbishop Spalding vs John Carroll on Thursday 3rd April (Catholic High Schools)
Andover Apaches U19 vs Baltimore Poly U19 on Friday 4th April
Cherry Blossom Tournament on Saturday/Sunday 5/6th April
4th Official for the Army vs Navy Academy game in the Navy Marine Corps Stadium on Saturday 5th April.

It was an amazing two weeks and very enjoyable.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Quantico 20 miles away!!
What did you make of PAC - did them earlier this season as well

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Simon S,

Point of Order, the first intercontinental RRF beerfest has taken place already, as has the second. Robbie Burns and I did an all day pub crawl plus Brick Lane curry in November 2006, and then a few weeks later Mr and Mrs Burns joined us in Stamford for Thanksgiving.

Simon G,

Do it! Aspen is fabulous. Just make sure you absolutely beast yourself on the cardio training because Aspen is very high, so the altitude will test your conditioning.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Archbishop Spalding vs John Carroll on Thursday 3rd April (Catholic High Schools)

Glad you quantified they are schools. Had vision of an Archbishop in full regalia playing lone rugby with some bloke called John!!!:biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Simon S,

Point of Order, the first intercontinental RRF beerfest has taken place already, as has the second. Robbie Burns and I did an all day pub crawl plus Brick Lane curry in November 2006, and then a few weeks later Mr and Mrs Burns joined us in Stamford for Thanksgiving.

Simon G,

Do it! Aspen is fabulous. Just make sure you absolutely beast yourself on the cardio training because Aspen is very high, so the altitude will test your conditioning.

And we had a transatlantic beer-fest during the last WORLD CUP here in London, where London's finest ales were consumed at Founders Arms (by Blackfriars Bridge) and the Wellington, Waterloo (where we watched the match) by myself and two USA referees pretending to be p*ss artists (names witheld in protection)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Cherry Blossom Tournament on Saturday/Sunday 5/6th April.

where?

Is this sponsored by a certain boot polish manufacturer?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The Cherry Blossom tournament is (or used to be) played near the Jefferson Memorial in Washington DC - which is where the cherry trees are.

It is a bit of a lottery whether or not it coincides with the flowering of the cherry trees - and it is a pain if it does. It can take ages to get there since the roads are blocked with tourists.

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
What did you make of PAC - did them earlier this season as well

The game was very good. Played on their pitch right next to the Washington Monument (see photo below). The teams played some very hard rugby, crashing it straight up the middle. PAC seemed to play with more set patterns than Doylestown, especially in the backs. There were two interception tries in the game, one a piece, which kept it interesting. Final score 33-35 to Doylestown.

The Cherry Blossom tournament is (or used to be) played near the Jefferson Memorial in Washington DC - which is where the cherry trees are.

It is a bit of a lottery whether or not it coincides with the flowering of the cherry trees - and it is a pain if it does. It can take ages to get there since the roads are blocked with tourists.

The National Cherry Blossom festival is held at the end of March and beginning of April when the Cherry Trees given to the US by the Japanese are in bloom. As OB says it used to be held in central DC. But due to them not being able to play on those pitches in bad weather and the parking issues the tournament has now moved to Rosecroft Raceway and is hosted by Washington Rugby Club.

The games are 20 mins each way and start at 7.45 am. The referees tended to do back-to-back games followed by a break. This year the weather was glorious on the Saturday (I even got a bit sunburnt), but was muddy as anything on the Sunday.

Below are some pictures from the tournament. The first is from the Saturday while the rest are from the Sunday. I am in the referee in the last one.