Feeding at scrum

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi

Reffed a compedative U16's match last weekend between Level 5 and Level 6 u16's. Black coach extremely vocal about feeding at scrum.
At pre match brief with front rows scrum half's captain and coach's had stated that I most concerned with binding, driving straight and keeping the scrum on its feet, my comment before any questions was that I regarded the tunnel as being straight.
(as ex scrum half for too many years I never in my puff put a ball down the middle)
During match a number of decisions given re black tighthead and blue loosehead not binding and driving at angle however all black coach comments centred round the feed.
After the match in the bar yes he did get me a pint he questioned why I was unconcerned with the feed I replied that I far more concerned and thus watching for what I had briefed before game about ensuring a safe scrum rather any not straight as I find it had if I watch ball and watch prop's backrows encroaching backs etc, i did point out they took 2 against head when they did a 8 man shove instead of hooker trying to strike and maybe he should coach this more.
On a more serious note as my first seasons reffing should I pay more attension to the feed rather than engagements etc have no issues when doing senior's on Saturday's with same stance taken and don't see hooker's try and strike in senior's.
Your thought's welcome.

duncanb

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Duncan - sounds like you got it right, especially at U16 level where safety is so essential, and a straight feed is going to come a fair way down your priorities list.

Like you I was a SH and hardly ever put the ball in straight, unless forced to by a martinet referee.

I have had similar comments in the past (from coaches I know well) and I have responded with "you are always complaining we refs should apply elite interpretations at tackle / ruck etc, nlw I have done that at scrum for the put-in you're complaining" - usually gets a smile at least.

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
The problem with not watching for feeding is that scrum halves (always the sharpest of sharp tools, eh Simon?)pick up on it early and the feeding can get progressively more and more squint as the game goes on. At some point the ref might decide that his line has been crossed and pings ... resulting in offended sense of injustice, frustration etc

In Junior rugby I actually don't mind too much of the ref decides he isn't going to ping not straights, at scrums or line outs, and just let the boys get on with the game. The resulting tendency for the issue to get worse is the only problem.

I would take that over pedantry at Junior level though, where every line out throw in is pinged on windy days ... straight enough to allow a contest would be my rule of thumb.

I was going to edit the verbosity but I'm increasingly liking progressively more and more even more

Last edited:

David J.

Referees in America
Post Likes
Did you address the coach's vocal dissent with him as well?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think you know that your safety-related approach was correct, and that complaints about crooked feeds are really arguments about the degree of unstraightness that each ref personally accepts. As you say, very few go straight down the middle - though I do ask the SH to land some part of the ball on the mark I've made.

In the spirit of purely random guesswork, DuncanB, are you by any chance a greengrocer?

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi Dixie

no but I do manage an a food stuff delivery operation so not far away.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
On a more serious note as my first seasons reffing should I pay more attension to the feed rather than engagements etc have no issues when doing senior's on Saturday's with same stance taken and don't see hooker's try and strike in senior's.
Your thought's welcome.

Duncan,

Have a word with John Wearing and/or Paul. Both have years and years experience of this and are happy to give advice.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
You don't have to be looking for feeding at the expense of looking for other stuff to notice it. You can multi-task.

If you notice it, the have a word.

If you've had a word then ping it when you notice it again.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
U16 with testosterone pumping and shouts from the sidelines even not straight could wind em up. you shouldn't ignore it, ping a few even if there are more safety concerns during the game, they are unlikely to be match winning free kicks but could help you manage the game better.