First Aid requirements 22/23 RFU season

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Has anyone got a copy of the first aid requirements update for the coming season?
I think it was posted in the RFU online magazine, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That table on page 4 is a complete waste of space.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So the requirement is basically for 1 first aider per match at Colts.
This is a recommendation only for adult games this coming season (compulsory next season).

Do referees not start the game if this required (not recommended) cover is not in place?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd say that is not the refs areas. Just like player eligability. The Match Organiser takes care of such matters.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I'd say that is not the refs areas. Just like player eligability. The Match Organiser takes care of such matters.

But isn't it like checking the pitch? A safety issue?
If we knowingly allow a match to start without first aid cover and someone dies, where does that place the referee?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We are the judge of the pitch But player who is 18 plaing in U15 It is up to the clubs to check registrations. We can't physicaly check all the rule regs and Laws something has to belong to others. Even with the pitch If we say playable and a team says NO then be don't play we reported to the authorities and leave it to them to sort.

If a first aider is not with the team. Then the blame lies squarely with that team. time people accepts responsibility for their (in)actions.

Also If someone were to die, I doubt a first aider would prevent it.

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If I'm lucky enough to ref this season, currently injured, I will not ask if there is a trained first aider there, therefore I've covered my arse.
If somebody points out that there isn't a trained first aider present then I think I'd have to say we can't play age grade this season and probably open age next season
I usually talk to the Physio/sponge person before the game to tell them to feel free to come on and ask me to stop the game if they think we have a serious problem but never ask them their qualifications.
This is another, well intentioned, burden on amatuer clubs which will inevitably lead to games being called of if the first aider isn't available at short notice.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If I'm lucky enough to ref this season, currently injured, I will not ask if there is a trained first aider there, therefore I've covered my arse.
If somebody points out that there isn't a trained first aider present then I think I'd have to say we can't play age grade this season and probably open age next season
I usually talk to the Physio/sponge person before the game to tell them to feel free to come on and ask me to stop the game if they think we have a serious problem but never ask them their qualifications.
This is another, well intentioned, burden on amatuer clubs which will inevitably lead to games being called of if the first aider isn't available at short notice.
Spot on. I find many if not most first aiders very limited. Anything serious "keep them warm and call the pros".

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But isn't it like checking the pitch? A safety issue?
If we knowingly allow a match to start without first aid cover and someone dies, where does that place the referee?
Phil, this is a fair question and I'd suggest getting a definitive answer, in writing, from the blazers (as I'm sure you will anyway).
I certainly wouldn't rely on posts in this thread as a defence if you end up in the coroner's court

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well of course we need the powers that be to rules. however, my opinion is that it should not be down to us to judge and validate a first aiders certificate.

What next? blame the ref if some untrained "chef" gives the players food poisoning at the after match meal?

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Spot on. I find many if not most first aiders very limited..
last season I asked a water carrier please could he not come on the pitch also carrying a can of lager.

I wasn't exactly overjoyed when, later in the game, he turned out to also be the first aider !
(he had, at least, abandoned the lager !)

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Maybe it’s because I ref in country that can be described as somewhat more litigious than average, but the teams here will cancel if no medical cover is present and in that case the home team also forfeit the match/points.

For standard matches the cover is either a sports physio with first aid training or an off-duty EMT from a local fire department who bring their own well-stocked bag, but if something really bad happens they’re just there to keep them stable until full care turns up. With larger tournaments the host team will often book directly from the local FD in which case we’ll have a fully equipped and staffed ambulance onsite too.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
All levels of rugby in Quebec, from high school or club U-13 up require cover. Below U-13 it is usually jamborees, and the host club will have their medical staff on hand. It may even be required. Rugby Quebec publishes a list of suitable qualifications, basically athletic therapists, physiotherapists or students (under supervision) in those programs. They must have done the relevant World Rugby online modules and have sports first responder training. I believe they must register with Rugby Quebec, but I'm not sure about that. In college, university and adult rugby the referee is not required to check. In high school rugby, the a/t must sign the game sheet before the game starts. The referee must ensure that those names are on the sheet. The referee is not required to check their credentials. It is possible that a coach could lie about it, but the Greater Montreal Athletic Association takes that sort of thing very seriously. That would lead to at least a 1 year suspension from all GMAA activities for that coach. If one of the schools shows up without cover that game can proceed, but the school is fined. If neither teams has cover, the game does not take place, both teams are fined, and both forfeit the game. I had cover for my school boys long before GMAA required it. I also have cover for most training sessions, particularly in pre-season when the heavy contact work is being done. It is now part of the cost of running a rugby program.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just had a look.
WTF is that about that couldn't be covered in one sentence?!

The whole document keeps repeating itself over and over. You could easily re-write that whole 10 page document on 1 page.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Most of my games are in Connecticut and the controlling org for the state makes it clear:
5.1. EMERGENCY PLANS

5.1.1. Each team must have an emergency plan that is communicated to the away team, referee, and athletic trainer before every match.

5.1.2. Emergency plans shall be available for every field used. The plan must include; address of venue, quickest route to and from the nearest hospital or Emergency Room with the hospital/ emergency room address and contact information.

5.1.3. Teams that do not have an emergency plan available will not be eligible for home games.
And
5.3. CERTIFIED TRAINER REQUIREMENT

5.3.1. There must be a certified athletic trainer or trained emergency medical person present before a game can kick off. This person must identify themselves to both teams and the referee before the game.

5.3.2. Referees will not begin a match without confirming medical coverage is in place for that match.

No cover, no game - and no pretty pictures.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Most of my games are in Connecticut and the controlling org for the state makes it clear:

And

No cover, no game - and no pretty pictures.
How often to games get called off for this reason?
Does the referee have to do any due diligence on the medical coverage, or is it just a question to ask, and they say "yes" and game on

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
How often to games get called off for this reason?
Does the referee have to do any due diligence on the medical coverage, or is it just a question to ask, and they say "yes" and game on
"You have the emergency plan? Cool. Now, where's the trainer? I'd like to have a word"