First Aid requirements 22/23 RFU season

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
How often to games get called off for this reason?
Does the referee have to do any due diligence on the medical coverage, or is it just a question to ask, and they say "yes" and game on
I’ve normally get a couple of games a season called off when the home team have not been able to get cover. As for due diligence, the team confirm that on booking, not the ref. Confirmation for me is usually just ”where are you going to be located so I know where to wave at to get your attention, and do you have any ibuprofen as I’ll probably need lots after the match…”

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
"You have the emergency plan? Cool. Now, where's the trainer? I'd like to have a word"
Yes - but I think the point being made by CR is when somebody steps forward and says "I am the certified cover" is that sufficient or is the ref also having to do some due diligence in needing to see the requisite paperwork/qualifications etc - as anybody can SAY they are in order for games to go ahead...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes - but I think the point being made by CR is when somebody steps forward and says "I am the certified cover" is that sufficient or is the ref also having to do some due diligence in needing to see the requisite paperwork/qualifications etc - as anybody can SAY they are in order for games to go ahead...

That's not the referees job, in the same way he doesn't check Front Rows are suitably trained, he just asks the question and accepts the answer.
Same for ages of players etc.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well i agree.

but I thought that was why you were asking

"Does the referee have to do any due diligence on the medical coverage, or is it just a question to ask, and they say "yes" and game on"

???

ie somebody/somewhere else has a different view to you and I

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Short answer: No diligence beyond confirming present. It is the home team’s responsibility to hire a qualified trainer/EMT.

Pretty much every state has a formal process to be licensed as an athletic trainer where the trainer sends in copies of qualifications and training to meet a minimum level. The coaches normally contact a local physio or gym to get names and can confirm they are board accredited. EMTs are also regulated - to book one you just contact your local Fire Department and they will ask provide a single EMT for a match or a staffed ambulance if a tournament or similar. You may get a volunteer or a career EMT depending on the shifts, but they’re equally qualified. They all turn up with their own bag of medical equipment.

For High Schools and Colleges they normally have one or more trainer on their staff. For standalone adult matches once they identify a trainer/EMT they often become a regular for them.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
well i agree.

but I thought that was why you were asking

"Does the referee have to do any due diligence on the medical coverage, or is it just a question to ask, and they say "yes" and game on"

???

ie somebody/somewhere else has a different view to you and I

The original questions was if theres no first aider do we allow the game to take place?

I dont need anyone to prove they are qualified, just know that there is someone.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The original questions was if theres no first aider do we allow the game to take place?

I dont need anyone to prove they are qualified, just know that there is someone.
sorry phil - I conflated you and CR! apologies DOH!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I was actually asking volun specifically about how it works in the US!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm not competent to assess the validity or otherwise of their answer.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was just digging in a little on the specific Connecticut regulation

5.3.2. Referees will not begin a match without confirming medical coverage is in place for that match.

And wondering how much of a burden that really places on the referee.
Sounds like not much of a burden

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I was actually asking volun specifically about how it works in the US!
For additional context, I have been involved in rugby in the state of Florida for a bit over 10 years, mostly as a player and the last year and a half as an active ref, and I am not aware of any requirement for medical staff to be present at a game in our Union. Tournaments usually have some present but for regular season games it’s significantly less common and friendlies, forget about it.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
For additional context, I have been involved in rugby in the state of Florida for a bit over 10 years, mostly as a player and the last year and a half as an active ref, and I am not aware of any requirement for medical staff to be present at a game in our Union. Tournaments usually have some present but for regular season games it’s significantly less common and friendlies, forget about it.
Both College organizers - USA R and NSCRO - mandate it for College games I believe, as well as the Colleges themselves in a lot of cases.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Got to love how it varies from State to State, and when you have regional orgs…

Also, mea culpa - I may have overstretched the requirements.

Partly out of interest and also self-preservation I’ve just trawled around to find the current position for CT and also Massachusetts (as I sometimes get matches in that state). From what I can work out the medical staff is a hard and fast rule for all college, high schools and youth rugby (at least in CT though I expect MA is the same based on what I’ve seen) - rereading the regional regs it would seem we let players in the (non-college) adult teams decide for themselves.

The NERFU (New England) regs section 7 has a few lines on medical “guidelines “ that basically has:
  • Recommend that the club has a plan
  • Recommended the home team has an EMT or ATC (trainer) or other medically qualified individual to cover the match but…
  • Schools must adhere to their own medical coverage policy (which is cover is mandatory)
  • Any match or tournament involving college teams are required to have either an EMT or ATC.
  • Host clubs are required to provide the visiting team with information (hard copy) on the directions and address to the nearest hospital.
Regs are here FWIW. NERFU Handbook
Apologies for the confusion.

Quick aside - I found the stated requirement that “Host Clubs are responsible for providing suitable restroom facilities” a little amusing. For most of my matches the “restroom” is usually an utterly abused and overused public porta potty to the side of the cow pasture pitch. I’ve seen players and staff almost cross eyed in agony holding out for the bar later rather than use one of them midsummer…

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Quick aside - I found the stated requirement that “Host Clubs are responsible for providing suitable restroom facilities” a little amusing. For most of my matches the “restroom” is usually an utterly abused and overused public porta potty to the side of the cow pasture pitch. I’ve seen players and staff almost cross eyed in agony holding out for the bar later rather than use one of them midsummer…
made me smile - the only time I played in the USA was a game for PAC in D.C. in 1990. Back then there was no club house, and the pitch was IIRC adjacent to the treasury building. One either arrived changed or changed in the bushes. After ,match you changed in the bushes or went to the pub/home in soiled playing kit.

there were no toilets. Just the bushes.
That was 32 years ago of course!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
made me smile - the only time I played in the USA was a game for PAC in D.C. in 1990. Back then there was no club house, and the pitch was IIRC adjacent to the treasury building. One either arrived changed or changed in the bushes. After ,match you changed in the bushes or went to the pub/home in soiled playing kit.

there were no toilets. Just the bushes.
That was 32 years ago of course!
1976-79 I was working in America and played rugby for a local Montgomery County, MD team. No facilities other than a pitch hired from the local authorities.

Back again 1988-91, this time in Howard County, MD at a new club called Columbia. Our "clubhouse" was the basement of a local bar. It provided a keg of beer and chilli in a slow cooker, but no changing facilities. It was also next door to the local police station!

The occasional away match to a college team gave us a rare opportunity to use the college facilities.