First Appointment for the new season......

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
Indianapolis Impala's v White River 20 August; feeling fit but rusty....

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes

I have the opposite problem I think. Feeling fresh and in tune but unfit...

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I've just been appointed to a match that I know won't take place. :sad:
Somethings never change.

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
First game tomorrow for a new society. Have just moved (back) down to London after university. L5 vs L6 pre-season game with assessor to see what I'm like! Pre-season fitness hasn't gone too badly but hope I remember how to do this refereeing lark!

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
automatic move onto south east group, or do you need to re-qualify as it were?

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
automatic move onto south east group, or do you need to re-qualify as it were?

Well there is a question!!

Having spent a year on the North Group I have retained my grading at L5, but until I have been seen in games the London Society and DB don't know how I compare to the other referees they've seen.

The North Group have about 12-14 referees on the group, while I have been told that SE group only has 6 referees. Therefore I believe I am currently not on the South East group. With only 6 referees and 7 league matches each week there is of course a spare game for a non-group referee. To start with I will be fighting for this game. After that things could change if I have some good games early doors?

Just have to focus on the two pre-season games. L5 vs L6 tomorrow and L4 vs L5 next week.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
6 referees? f*ck, competition is tight. best of luck!

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
First game tomorrow for a new society. Have just moved (back) down to London after university. L5 vs L6 pre-season game with assessor to see what I'm like! Pre-season fitness hasn't gone too badly but hope I remember how to do this refereeing lark!
Hold on a second.
If you were on the Panel, there would be no "dropping down" (it's a National Panel; you stay in England, it's the same Panel), but b/c you're only a "Group" referee, they wont necessarily transfer you across?
OK, I get it, there are X games and Y referees, and adding another referee takes away games from the original Y.

The easy solution is to referee at a standard such that you're among the top 3 of the group, and then the Southern Pansies really cant ignore you. Tough sh!t for the guy who is ranked 6th in the group, but he/she should have worked harder. Tough breaks.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes

I've still got until January before the league proper starts so plenty of time left to work on my weaknesses!

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Hold on a second.
If you were on the Panel, there would be no "dropping down" (it's a National Panel; you stay in England, it's the same Panel), but b/c you're only a "Group" referee, they wont necessarily transfer you across?
OK, I get it, there are X games and Y referees, and adding another referee takes away games from the original Y.

The easy solution is to referee at a standard such that you're among the top 3 of the group, and then the Southern Pansies really cant ignore you. Tough sh!t for the guy who is ranked 6th in the group, but he/she should have worked harder. Tough breaks.

I believe the SW and the Midlands groups both have a similar number to the North, and as such I probably would have moved straight across to their group. With SE only having 6 group referees, then more competition means I am not automatically in, but if I impress then I think they will have to take me. That is how it was explained to me anyhow.

It was a pity I didn't manage to get to National Panel before leaving university because as you said there would be no movement, I would be a National panel referee.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Whoever appointed you to that is not a good communicator. It is the Impalas vs the South Side Irish from Chicago. It will be the best level you have had so far. White River will be hosting their benefit on the day.

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
I wonder who that might be????

I thought it was strange whenm you said White River

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
It was a pity I didn't manage to get to National Panel before leaving university because as you said there would be no movement, I would be a National panel referee.
Pfft, you had priorities, whether it was crushing northern girls, drinking pints of lager 'til you peed yourself or generally eating a lot of curry, these things are all acceptable at Uni. Once you leave, they're a no-go.
Group at 22 is, well, pretty awesome (unless your a 30 year old postgraduate, or a mature student, or just a dumbass, in which case nevermind).

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have a L8 v L9 "friendly" on Tuesday evening.

Unfortunately it's my club at home against the club up the road!!!:wow::wow:

For those with an encyclopediacal knowledge of Monty Python sketches the vistors are home to the Humber and District Catholic River-Widener's club.:biggrin:

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
I already had my first 15s game last week, the WI select side vs CARFU (Chicago Area) select, I may have my final US game this weekend which would be a preseason friendly, but we'll see, if not I have my first English game on the 10th.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had my first official pre-season on Aug 2.... WTF!!!!!!

In the middle on Sat for my club's first pre-season against a side of Toff's from Surrey :biggrin:

SW group has 7 referees on it I believe.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Been refereeing touch rugby all summer.

Did a 7s competition a coupe of weeks ago.

Have 3 L9 games lined up between now and September 10th. Two friendlies and a league game on the 10th.

They all look like games where management will be prevelant.

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
Name names then Phil, and good luck with them, you should be on form after all the 7's

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
And, Phil, that brown noser Stoo48 isn't stealing all your good matches.