First Assessment in a L9 game

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
As an L10 I did my first match at L9 a couple of weeks ago (ref numbers are a bit short at the moment, but I'm delighted to get these opportunities). That one went well for the 1st half but 2nd half suffered a bit from not being used to keep higher concentration levels going throughout.

So, I went into this one wanting to remedy that and was keen to seen to be in control from the off.

Also, I know that every season I take 3-4 games to get back into a pattern and ryhthm.

I was more than happy to see an assessor arrive unannounced (he'd been twitched at the last minute) as recent assessments have been at L11 games. Excellent opportunity :eek:)

The match report is below - not a layout I've seen before and I was disappointed to see that the bit of the old form that used to say things like "potential to take higher level games" / "competent at this level" / etc was missing. I was dying to find out if I got an "OK at this level" type comment!

Love to hear some comments.

Challenges of the match for the referee:
This was a fairly even match, keenly contested in excellent conditions. The front rows contained players of diverse dimensions and abilities and scrum stability was a challenge.

Technical performance elements (√ or X): N.B. Not all boxes need to be completed
Scrum
Line-out √
Communication √
Tackle
Advantage
Positioning √
Ruck √
Open Play √
Fitness √
Maul x
Offside √
Use of ARs N/A

Management performance:
You explained that you were a little nervous at this level but in the event you had a good game enjoyed by all. You have a confident style and this was reflected in the way your decisions were accepted largely without question. You applied a great deal of patience to the scrum formation problem and from a safety point of view this was justified. Possibly a free-kick or two may have produced what was required sooner.

Key development points (include here areas marked X in performance elements):
1. Tap penalty.
Your whistle and call were good but you seemed not to be encouraging the tap and go. Your pre-match briefing to the scrum-halves might include instructions such as “not behind my back”, “from behind the no.8 at scrum offences” and “always 5 metres from me”. Please work to enable the non-offending side to gain the advantage of surprise.
2. Maul.
Several mauls collapsed today and I thought you were in an indifferent position to observe defenders taking it down. I suggest you watch from near the front of the moving maul and check for hands binding on legs. A preventative call of “no collapsing” might be effective.
3. Tackle.
For an hour you refereed the tackle really well. However with the game moving into an exciting final quarter you seemed to relax your vigilance particularly of players going illegally to ground. Of course the players are tiring but that is not an acceptable excuse. Please try to keep up your very good work to the very end.

PLEASE ASSESS THE REFEREE’S PERFORMANCE AGAINST THE ELRA PRINCIPLES (mark one box only)
The referee consistently complied with the principles √
The referee regularly complied with the principles
The referee occasionally complied with the principles

PRINCIPLES-BASED REFEREE ASSESSMENT
The five key questions:

Were the players safe? Y
Did the players enjoy the game? Y
Was there a fair contest for possession? Y
Did the right team win? Y
Was there any controversy caused by the referee? N

ELEMENT: COMMENT

Preparation:
Is appropriately prepared and presented for the match with required resources √
Checks the suitability of the pitch and players’ equipment √
Understands their pre-match logistical responsibilities √

Attitude:
Exhibits an appropriate attitude to the match and players √
Seeks feedback from the players at the end of the match √

Judgement and Materiality:
Shows an understanding of how to make appropriate judgements in a variety of situations √
Shows an understanding of how to referee within the spirit of the game √

Game Management:
Manages the match so that there is a fair contest for possession √
Makes all efforts to manage the match in a manner which is enjoyable to the players √
Uses advantage appropriately Sometimes blew too soon

Communication and Positioning:
Communicates clearly and appropriately with the players at specified phases of the match √
Uses appropriate positioning to manage players at specified phases of the match. Positioning good except for maul

Law Knowledge:
Appropriately applies the Laws in the spirit of the game √

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Is this a new form or a society specific one?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Looks like an ELRA assessment form.

The tick against: The referee consistently complied with the principles is more or less the equivalent of: PLEASE
ASSESS THE REFEREE’S MATCH MANAGEMENT USING THE CRITERIA:
on the RFU Form 2

This is assessed by reference to:

• Good (G)
For a G to be awarded the Referee should have complied with the all of the Control and Communication descriptors on nearly all occasions")

• Minor Development (MD)
For a MD to be awarded the Referee should have complied with the all of the descriptors on most occasions

• Needs Development (ND)
For an ND to be awarded the Referee should have complied with the Control and Communication descriptors not regularly enough

• Significant Development (SD)
For an SD to be awarded the Referee should have complied with the descriptors too infrequently

So the consistently complying with principles could be seen as equivalent to a G assessment.
[h=6] [/h][h=6] [/h][h=6] [/h][h=6] MANAGEMENT[/h]
CONTROL
Achieved a balance of preventive and punitive measures to control the match.
Ensured that the interactions with captains/players were effective.
Managed foul play effectively by applying appropriate sanctions.
Managed persistent infringements effectively by applying appropriate sanctions.
COMMUNICATION
Communicated effectively with the whistle.
Communicated effectively with signals
Communicated effectively with the voice.
Communicated advantage with voice and signals.
Communicated effectively non-verbally.
Communicated effectively with any other match officials.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Alan, I think it an unhelpful form to have used in the context of an experienced L.10 with ambitions towards L.9, and I think it may be worth a call to the assessor to discuss why it was used, how your performance would translate to the more traditional form and whether he felt you were on track for a L.9 promotion this season.

As to content, I'm not convinced that it is your job to "encourage" the tap and go. It's an option they can use if they wish to, and your job is not to discourage it unnecessarily. While your brief should certainly make a reference to it, that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

That question of a lapse in concentration towards the end seems to have recurred in a lack of attention to tackle offences. Is this a fitness issue? If you are tiring along with the players, perhaps you are a little too far away at the tackle to make the accurate call, or perhaps just too knackered to notice?

Reading the report as a whole, it sounds like: 3 good quarters displaying many strengths and without looking out of your depth in a L.9, but the last quarter let you down. That for me is a solid base on which to work - only you know how much work you need to do to be fit enough to officiate a full 80 minutes at this level.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A drop in concentration in the last quarter could be down to lack of hydration?

I also put some Olbas Oil on my sleeve, and if I feel my concentration is slipping, take a good sniff.

Davet

Post Likes
Alan, I think it an unhelpful form to have used in the context of an experienced L.10 with ambitions towards L.9, and I think it may be worth a call to the assessor to discuss why it was used,

Agreed.

As I said earlier, this appears to be an ELRA form - used while the ref is undergoing the ELRA assessments - which would seem inappropriate for the job in hand here.

More usual would either a coaching form; or in this case I would expect the RFU Referee Assessment Form 1, which used at below L5.

Davet

Post Likes
Just for clarity this is the ELRA form used for Stage 3 of the ELRA

Candidate name:

Observer name:

Club/Match:

Match Date:

Preparation The candidate:

is appropriately prepared and presented for the match with the required resources

checks the suitability of the pitch and players equipment

understands the pre-match logistical responsibility of the referee

Attitude The candidate:

exhibits an appropriate attitude to the match and players

seeks feedback from the players at the end of the match

Judgement and Materiality
The candidate:

shows an understanding of how to make appropriate judgements in a variety of situations (contextual judgement)

shows an understanding of how to referee within the spirit if the game (materiality)

Game Management The candidate:

manages the match so that there is a fair contest for possession

makes all efforts to manage the match in a manner which is enjoyable to the players

uses Advantage appropriately

Communication and Positioning
The candidate:

communicates clearly and appropriately with the players at specified phases of the match

positions themselves appropriately to manage the players at specified phases of the match

Law Knowledge The candidate:

appropriately applies the Laws of the Game in the spirit of the game

Referee Feedback and Action Plan

Feedback

Action Plan

<tbody>
</tbody>

Davet

Post Likes
And this is Form 2

RFU REFEREE

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

REFEREE ASSESSMENT FORM 2 2012-13

NAME OF REFEREE: LEVEL SOCIETY

MATCH TYPE LEVEL DATE

MATCH RESULT ( pts) -v- ( pts)

1. CHALLENGE OF THE MATCH:

2. MATCH MANAGEMENT:

PLEASE ASSESS THE REFEREE’S MATCH MANAGEMENT USING THE CRITERIA:

3. THE REFEREE’S POTENTIAL:

SIGNATURE OF ASSESSOR: DATE:

NAME: SOCIETY:

1. KEY COMPONENTS

[h=2]TACKLE[/h][h=2]ADVANTAGE[/h]RUCK
MAUL
[h=2]KICKS[/h][h=2]SCRUM[/h]LINE-OUT

AREAS TO DEVELOP - Please select up to three of the above units to outline areas that need to be developed using the Key Components Descriptors.

<tbody>
</tbody>
REFEREE’S STRENGTHS - Please select up to three of the above units to outline the referee’s strengths in this match, using the Key Components descriptors.

<tbody>
</tbody>

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
That question of a lapse in concentration towards the end seems to have recurred in a lack of attention to tackle offences. Is this a fitness issue? If you are tiring along with the players, perhaps you are a little too far away at the tackle to make the accurate call, or perhaps just too knackered to notice?

Definitely not a fitness issue.

I think it's a question of getting used to keeping up a high level of concentration with no down time or easy phases.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I think it's a question of getting used to keeping up a high level of concentration with no down time or easy phases.

That's a definition of fitness ... One's brain needs oxygenated blood to operate effectively just as muscles do.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Definitely not a fitness issue.

this is a fitness thing, well can be, also a boredom thing, if the game is crap :)

Stamina training will help keep your mental alertness through the game.