First Pre-Season Appointments

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Okay, back in the swing of it having basically taken the summer off (hence why I haven't been online much).

Just picked up a couple of decent trial games as the clubs ramp up their training for the start of the season:

Wednesday 27th August
Old Centralians v Gloucester Old Boys
L7/8, Trial Match

Saturday 30th August
Dursley v Pontyclun
L9, Trial Match

I managed to arrange for an advisor of sorts for the first match so that I get a bit of feedback and know where the rust is, and hopefully I'll also get a couple of decent testers at the start of September so that I'm back in practice before I head over the pond. :bday:

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Right that's it. I've had it up to here (imagine me holding my hand to my forehead).

First I get royally done over by my uni (they shall not be my uni much longer).
Then I have the two journeys from hell to Plymouth and back.
In accordance with the first issue I shall have to withdraw from the SWP Fed/Plymouth and return to Gloucester - shortly before being considered for promotion.
I've also been shunted to a shitty lower level game involving a club I had a shocker refereeing just last week - be bloody difficult stamping how I usually referee on that match with my previous one fresh in their memories.

I've had it, and all these factors (as well as a couple of ELVs) are severely pissing me off and screwing up my promotion chances mean that I'm calling it a day, and my last match whilst on exchange will probably be the last time I referee for a number of years.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Wow. Sorry to hear that.

Take a breath and don't jump to anything rash.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Sounds like you've had a fun week!!

Best thing to do is withdraw from this weekend, get things sorted (physically and mentally) and then find someone to chat things through with.

Obviously I have no idea about what you are going through, but someone either in SW or Glouc will, or just a mate, and put everything back together. If you've been considered for promotion, you have potential and will be an undoubted loss to refereeing. Being on SW RWP squad will stand you in good stead wherever you end up.

Keep your chin up and keep the faith!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simon, now is the time to assess what you are made of. At the risk of sounding like your dad, we only find out whether we've got what it takes when the chips are down and life hurls us a couple of bummers designed to test our mettle. Most buckle; the best grit their teeth, overcome the hurdles and emerge stronger and better.

There's no dishonour in throwing in the towel under tough circumstances, but I sense you are made of sterner stuff - and I hope and expect you'll reflect, turn your anger to positive use and get out there and kick some ass:=

Good luck, whichever way it goes.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Simon,

Talk it over with some of the senior people you know and trust.
"Act in haste, repent at leisure".

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
I will talk about it with some people, however, the problem is that this is kind of the last straw type scenario. For quite a while now I've not been enjoying my refereeing as much as usual (finding it more of a chore than anything), and, as I still don't drive, the matches are ever more difficult and/or time consuming and/or expensive to get to. :sad:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Simon

Having actually assessed you, I know you have bags of potential and recommend you take a deep breath, take the weekend off and withdraw from the re-appt explaining very clearly why (and not appear to be throwing toys out of pram).

It sounds as if you have a lot of hassle right now and you need to separate each out and deal with them one at a time.

You know who the helpful guys are in your Society(s) - talk to them !

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
i was there cuppla season ago ... couldnt drive, got re-appts to clubs i know didnt like me, low level matches for my (obvious) skills and abilities ...

in my case i had a very strong and supportive wife who drove me around, listened to me, kept me strong ....
i passed my driving test. I got in with the re-appts bloke by meeting him and putting my side of things, listened to feedback, changed my attitude etc.. took some chill pills ...

i advise what they say .. except i would ask for another appt. Speak to the re-appts guy and say what you think (politely) but you are available to ref another match.
Get a license ... whatever it takes. The freedom and independence will pay you back dividends.
And dont be worried about low level matches .. i saw Pablo got a 11 last season .. two very very awful teams in a league or cup match... he did it.
These are challenges. Look at them that way.

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I don't know the specifics of your situation, Simon G, but it seems there's already some good advice on this thread. I'm sorry to hear that things are frustrating for you and wish you the best of luck in sorting them out.

To throw in my own £0.02, I'd point out that whatever the reasons for your reappointment, the level of the game is probably not a reflection on you - it's more likely a reflection of what the reappointments secretary had available. Try not to get worked up about not being appointed to a game "at your level" - this is a trap I fell into in my early days as a ref - and instead treat the game as an opportunity. As ex-lucy pointed out, last season I found myself appointed to a level 11 game. I could have been a real prima donna about it and called in sick, or treated it as a joke - I've certainly met a few refs who would have refused a game so many levels below their own (these guys are the bane of appointments secretaries, and such a selfish attitude disappoints me, because it denies 30 guys an afternoon of rugby) - but the game was there, it was all the appointments team had available and it needed a referee. So I did it. And since L11 players are not as athletic as the guys at L5/6/7 that I normally chase around, it wasn't even remotely taxing physically, so I used the opportunity to tinker with my game. I experimented with my positioning, made sure that I was the first person to arrive at every single tackle, maintained a tidy breakdown and gave the teams a game they enjoyed. The players benefitted from having a higher level ref than usual - by their own admission, it was one of the fastest and most open they had played in a while - and I benefitted from a little self-administered training exercise. Plus, I had fun too - it certainly beat running laps of the park, which is my game substitute for weekends when I'm not appointed.

Regarding the fact you're going back to a club at whom you had a "shocker" recently, I have had a similar experience. In late Feb, early March 2006, I refereed Saffron Walden twice, the two games being a fortnight apart. SW were in trouble and very close to relegation, and in the first game, they were a step closer to safety with the score at 9-3 in their favour against league leaders Eton Manor. With three minutes to go, EM were pressing hard, and I awarded a penalty about seven metres from the SW goal line. EM took a quick-tap, passed the ball wide and the SW prop who was still retiring for the penalty, just slapped the ball down. I gave a penalty try, which EM duly converted to win 10-9. Predictably, SW were livid, and the crowd wanted my blood. Going back two weeks later, the pressure was very much on, because I was immediately recognised, and furthermore the game was against Bury St Edmunds, who were also in danger of relegation. So I put on my best thick skin, and got on with the game, keeping a very tight rein on any tensions that looked like they might boil over. SW eventually won 12-10, though not before they contrived to throw away a 12-0 halftime lead to an interception try and get lucky on a couple of missed drop goal attempts in the dying minutes. If I had allowed the history of the previous game to affect my management of the SW players, I would have faced a serious uphill struggle. My advice is that you just try to put the past behind you, and treat the game as a blank slate - that might be difficult, especially if the players act up on your previous management, but it's the only approach that makes sense.
There is a coda to the story: I also refereed Bury St Edmunds away at Rochford Hundred on the last day of the season. Bury lost 20-19, but stayed above SW on points difference, so SW were relegated after all. I worked out that if SW had not conceded their interception try to Bury, and then Bury had not scored their last try against Rochford, then SW would have stayed up and Bury would have gone down.

And as for driving... I had a girlfriend who drove me to the first five games of my refereeing career, and I realised it simply wasn't sustainable, so I got a car. It's absolutely essential in any society other than London. Fact of life, I'm afraid.

Best wishes.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I got a car. It's absolutely essential in any society other than London. Fact of life, I'm afraid.
As Beckett50 would doubtless point out, a motorbike does the job and is considerably cheaper to run on student finances.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've probably made too much of the level issue, perhaps I thought it sounded better than "I don't want to go to that club..."

None the less, still pissed off at where I've ended up. I'd have no problem if I did two games there in succession in the season, as I'd be confident that at least I'd have refereed it much as I normally do, even if the team didn't like it much. This time though, the team won and didn't have many problems with me, but I managed the breakdown (amongst other things) shockingly, and those duff expectations/standards be what their expecting of me having witnessed me barely more than a week ago in their 1st/2ndXV trial game.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well I did the match. It turns out that I had got the option of what game I wanted, however my mobile phone ran out of battery and I only picked up the voicemail after it was too late to influence the decision.

Possibly a good thing to get back on the horse on the same ground as my previous game and it did indeed go a lot better (still nowhere near where I want to be though). The pitch was horrible mind: very, very boggy and poorly marked out (once again someone had mown the grass the day after it had been marked... This led to one interesting incident. Blue going for the line, get down and ground the ball under a few players. Try! Yellow quickly complain that it wasn't on the line. I say that as the line was virtually invisible I was working off the goal posts. Thankfully this was accepted by one and all (I say thankfully, because it could well have gone either way with such a poorly marked line).

Anyway, I enjoyed most of the match (well, there's often a couple of minutes that aren't quite so fun...) Still had the feeling in the run up that it was a bit of a chore, but will give it another go when I get back from exchange and see how it goes.