Fitness for refereeing

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Originally I was considering just writing a fitness program for rugbyrefs.com and then realised that this probably wasn't the best idea as I don't really know where most people are in terms of their current fitness.

What I'd like to try and do is get a general idea of how people currently train and work towards a fitness section that we all have had input into (this includes diet).

If you currently train, can you write down your current routine and diet.

If you don't currently train, can you write down why not?

Hopefully we can have a very fit bunch of refs going out there next season:bday:

STU

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Stu, I would be very interested in taking part in this fitness program. I will post my fitness stuff later tonight for you and will shoot you through an email with a couple of PDFs of my workout stuff from my PT.

Cheers

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I find gym's bore me, but I persevere unless I have something else to do.

I train every tuesday (rugby or soccer) and Thursday (rugby).
I play Soccer on a friday night
I ref on a Saturday.

I'm waiting on the new gym to open and I'll be back to my routine of:

10 mins warm up on treadmill
4 sets of:
12 x 12kg kettle lifts
12 x slow press ups with hands under arm pits
12 x pull ups using straps

then a 20 min interval run at 16kph and 6 kph 1 minute each alternating.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

ankylosing spondylitis, sacroiliitis, and a f*cked right knee from walking like a cripple for 3 years.

that do ya?

:biggrin: :wink:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Stu, age and general decripitude will perhaps militate against me doing the sort of fitness workouts that a keen young dude like Adam or Donal might undertake. You may want to consider different workouts for each decade of life, and let people pick and choose where they are? Someone more mature but with a military background and firm self disclipline (like Deeps; Phil E fails the maturity test:) ) may well be up for the 30's workout for example.

I have weakened my knees and ankles over the years, so during the last four seasons I have developed and maintained aerobic fitness with two 40' Spinning classes in the gym. One to two games per weekend on top of this is, I find, a decent exercise programme for the middle-aged man.

Diet: breakfast is a banana, oat-based cereal (perhaps with a bit of wheat chucked in) mixed with Ski fruit yoghurt. Lunch at work is soup, a roll and ski yoghurt. Evening main meal will typically be meat and three veg, with a dessert -perhaps a fruit crumble or fruit salad with ice cream.

Target weight: I aim to maintain a weight between 170 and 175 pounds throuhgout the season.

Off-season: I cycle. 28 mile round trip to work twice a week (average 16 mph); 5o miles at the weekend at about 12-14 mph.

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Each week I do a game, 2 anaerobic workouts, 2 weights workouts (differing for endurance vs strength, upper and lower body) 1 aerobic or core workout and one "active recovery" - Swimming or zumba usually. What I do in each workout differs according to the lovely little schedule the academy gived me.

Right now my weight is steady at 62 kgs, but I'm visibly more muscular and have lost weight from my face - my cheekbones look concerning.

What I eat

Brekkie - Muesli and trim milk
Lunch - Homemade protien shake containing egg white powder, banana, milk and milkshake syrup.
Afternoon tea - plain roll or some pineapple lumps.
Dinner - Whatever the others have cooked (I'm barred from cooking cos I set fire to things) usually veg and rice.

I'm going to start taking iron supplements, because I'm a veggo with a laundry list of allergies and I'm getting so tired.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Veggo as in full on vegan? or one that's happy with animals that don't have legs (i.e. fish). :)

Being a Vegetarian must make it difficult to get proteins into the body as well as the other good stuff.

Is your vegetarian choice because of the way animals are killed for food, part of the allergy list, or just because you don't want to eat a living creature?

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
I don't do enough..... And eat too much......
Cycle 20ish miles 2 to 3 times a week, will try to up that to an average of 100 miles a week during summer, 2 spin classes a week doing intervals (not "exercise class spinning") 1 of an hour the other of 2 hours.

Have signed up tyo be part of the midwest 7's officials this summer.

Try to keep calorie intake down but generally run calorie neutral as I seem to weigh 240llbs whateve I do....

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Originally I was considering just writing a fitness program for rugbyrefs.com and then realised that this probably wasn't the best idea as I don't really know where most people are in terms of their current fitness.

What I'd like to try and do is get a general idea of how people currently train and work towards a fitness section that we all have had input into (this includes diet).

If you currently train, can you write down your current routine and diet.

Hopefully we can have a very fit bunch of refs going out there next season:bday:

STU

I can email you a excel s/sheet of everything I eat and every bit of cardio I do for last 2-3 months. Sad I know but I found recording accurately everything I eat/drink has really helped

myfitnesspal.com is free and you can do this online.

If this data is useful please PM me your email address and I'll send it directly.

PS great idea re the fitness section - it's such a key part

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Veggo as in full on vegan? or one that's happy with animals that don't have legs (i.e. fish). :)

Being a Vegetarian must make it difficult to get proteins into the body as well as the other good stuff.

Is your vegetarian choice because of the way animals are killed for food, part of the allergy list, or just because you don't want to eat a living creature?

A proper vegetarian - no meat, but I'm not vegan (one who doesn't eat or use animal products)
Partly it's allergy related - I'm allergic to an amino acid commonly found in aged goods, especially meat, so if I don't know how fresh something is I have to forego it. Also I don't like the taste or texture of meat, and the smell is often hideous. I'm a taste veggie, not an ethical veggie.

I'm better on getting protein since I started the egg-white shakes but the iron and b12 and the like is an issue. Especially since marmite/vegemite is very high on the "things that will try and kill me" list.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Common misconception. There's plenty of protein in the world's flora without resorting to fauna. Lentils, nuts, whole grains (quinoia is excellent), beans and other legumes, soya products, not to mention milk and unfertilised eggs for those not phased by the ethical issues. Getting the vitamins commonly found in meat protein most definitely is an issue, however.

2 spin classes a week doing intervals (not "exercise class spinning") 1 of an hour the other of 2 hours.
Ye Gods! I can't imagine a 2 hour spinning class! After a 40 minute session, I've got a paddling pool of sweat below my bike, breathing is in gasps and my legs are wobbly. Respect!

I'm better on getting protein since I started the egg-white shakes but the iron and b12 and the like is an issue.
I hope you're resolving that with daily supplements. There really is no alternative.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am training for L'Etape du Tour, so currently cycling, cycling, cycling... >150miles a week. I'm trying to exercise five days a week, and on days I can't cycle to work I run or swim.

All aerobic because the fewer kilograms I need push up the twenty-one hairpins of Alpe D'Huez on July 11th, the better..

I have lost 6kg since Christmas and I weigh less than I have done for twenty years :D

When the rugby season starts I am anticipating being generally fitter than I have been for a few years, but I'll need to work on shuttle runs / interval sprints etc to get fit for reffing.

[reffing: jog-sprint-jog-sprint-jog-bloody-hell-sprint-sprint-sprint-sprint-sprint-peep-try-scored-puff-puff-puff-rest-rest]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
down the thames -- I have to set off Sunday afternoon.
it only works when the tides are right.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Everything's geared to the PanAm Games in October (RWC is now a notch lower on the party scale), but also the Canadian Championships in August (provided I get appointed!).

A lot of Olympic Lifting, sprints, and anything CV related is on the bike (like Burns I go hard for 90 minutes like a rugby game; I bring 2 L of water, 1 L of what's called R4, a 4:1 ratio of carbs : protein drink, and I get there early for a good seat for a view of the scenery). Yoga once a week also helps (this weekend: Happy Hips Workshop) and a lot of foam-rolling/stretching/ballwork each day.

Nutrition is a shift to now hating the following: chocolate milk, bananas, protein power, quinoa, and peanut butter!

Mark my words: the first person to move to Texas and get FITTER!

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
This is a blog from a friend of mine in Italy.

I am THAT PERSON, ewww...

As I have mentioned before, I go to a sweatless gym. This is a place where the Italians meet to catch up with friends, grab a coffee, share a cigarette, and occassionaly walk from one piece of eqipment to another, all while talking on their mobile phone. Yes, I said gym; not bar; not Wi Fi spot nor did I say a destination for speed dating; is this really what I am getting for my health membership?

Am I the only one who brings a sweat towel to put over the equipment? Sweat towels are non existant, why wouldn't they be, nobody sweats!

Am I the only one who brings a water bottle to rehydrate? A coffee machine greets you as you walk in the door, because I know once I have run a few kilometers on the treadmill, a quick espresso is always good for the heart rate. No one is drinking any water, but then why would they be, nobody sweats!

There are no showers at the gym, just toilets and change rooms, why would there be, nobody sweats!

I should of paid more attention to the fellow patrons during my orientation. I am yet to see another cuddly person at the gym. I am sure there was a 'stage one' gym they were supposed to send me to first? Some sort of room underground for the sweaters and belt busters to get into shape, before initiation and a pass to play with the pretty people. But instead, I am the only sweater! I am unique! I have a sweat towel, (which is more of a double sized beach towel), a water bottle that is refilled in the handicapped toilet several times during my work out, (I am obviously reffering to the basin not the toilet), and a little ipod that i listen to music on, (no need to use my phone for music like everyone else as I have nobody to call or text anyway).

I am now 'that person'. That person that everyone looks at but does not speak to when at the gym, ("ewww she's sweating"). At my last gym in Australia, 'that person' wore all green, (shirt, shorts, socks and shoes) and was often seen riding the streets on the weekend with an empty beer carton as a hat. Maybe I am that person minus the beer hat? I know I am watched, I sense it. I huff. I puff. I sound as though I am having an asthma attack minus the asthma. I look as though I have been severley sunburnt as my face turns the colour of beetroot. I smell like I have been attacked by several promotors in a perfume aisle, (I try to overcompensate for the sweating before it happens.)

So I think I have finally figured out why there is no need for Italians to sweat. Afterall, sweating could help you loose weight. Why would you want to sweat if you are already thin? Besides, if you don’t like to sweat, you could try one of the 100 firming and toning creams sold in Italian pharmacies that promise “un corpo perfetto” (a perfect body), “una impeccabile silhouette” (an impeccable silhouette), and the disappearance of stretchmarks and cellulite.

I am not rich. I can not afford the cream. So for now... I will continue to be that person. I do however hold comfort in the fact that my husband returns from the gym looking as though he has just been caught in the cross fire of an adolescent water fight. So, he too is that person. It is just a shame that we are never at the gym at the same time so we can be that person together.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
No training - and haven't for a while - because of a vitrectomy and retina issue.
Weight: 175.
Ideal weight: 168 (ish)

Diet:
Mornings at work - fruit/yogurt for breakfast. And coffee. At home - coffee
Lunch - varies; sandwich (blt) or soup
Evening - grilled chicken, veg and some cheese.
Very little alcohol Mon - Thurs
G+T(s) Fri Sat and Sun evening.

When training:
Weight - 3 sets of 10 reps bench press, shoulders, legs.
10 - 15 minutes elliptical.

I like weights and the gym. I HATE running/rowing/elliptical stuff. Just kills me mentally.

I would add:
I get to work at 0640, and get home 645(ish) in the evening. And I'm very tired when I get home. I usually work in the evenings when I get home as well.

Training for me has to fit in those parameters

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Why do refs need to do weights - OK a bit, for balance and core strength, fine, but surely stamina and sprint training are paramount.

PS - If you do cycling, then swim as well, or you'll tighten your hamstrings too much. As I understand it...

Personally I hate cycling. So never did any.

But I did find that time spent on a Rowing machine was well worthwhile, and could easily manage 25-30 minutes at lunchtime - combined with 2 or 3 sprint sessions and the odd 5 mile run probaly once a week in the evening. I did go through a phase of 6 am distance runs, but I'm not one of nature's larks. If you are OK with the early shift though it did seem to work better for some reason.

Diet??

Never worried about it - eat everything going and never cared about fat content. My best fitness was reached (some few years ago with a 6am 3 or 4 mile run, twice a week, followed by full English breakfast, includng black pudding and fried bread, tea, mid morning snack (muesli was favourite) lunchtime gym session on the Rowing machine most lunchtimes, 25 - 30 mins with something like a chicken salad sandwich, or a supermarket pasta meal (chicken, tuna sort of thing) afterwards, cup of tea and a bit of cake was always nice about 4ish, and on days when I didn't do an early run then I'd do sprint sessions when I got home from work, followed by a decent dinner - generally lots of meat with plenty of veg and potato, or a pizza, or takeaway doner kebab, or fish and chips or... well, frankly, any damn thing I fancied. If I felt I'd overdone the saturated fats then I'd add a mile to the next distance run (or consider doing that, and occasionally actually do it). Plenty of water throughout the day. Plenty of beer on a Saturday night after a game of rugby (this was back when I was playing rather than reffing, shows how long ago that must be).

Currently I feel knackered just writing that. Age hath it's privileges.

Last edited:

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Everything's geared to the PanAm Games in October (RWC is now a notch lower on the party scale), but also the Canadian Championships in August (provided I get appointed!).

A lot of Olympic Lifting, sprints, and anything CV related is on the bike (like Burns I go hard for 90 minutes like a rugby game; I bring 2 L of water, 1 L of what's called R4, a 4:1 ratio of carbs : protein drink, and I get there early for a good seat for a view of the scenery). Yoga once a week also helps (this weekend: Happy Hips Workshop) and a lot of foam-rolling/stretching/ballwork each day.

Nutrition is a shift to now hating the following: chocolate milk, bananas, protein power, quinoa, and peanut butter!

90 min bike session? Power output changing during that period I assume?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

I watched the documentary Super Size me for the first time (I know its quite old now) a couple of weeks ago and was amazed to see Texas "boasts" 7 of the top 10 US's fattest cities - or did back in 2002. :wow: I suspect nothing's changed.:eek:

Out of the 9 times he was offered Super Size portions 5 were in Texas!!

Stirling Mortlock: Morgan Spurlock you've godda have a system!:chin:

My training is:

4 times a week on Eliptical trainer while watching Rush in Rio - get to end of YYZ at least.

Squash once a fortnight or so.

I did a bit of running - sprints and Fartlek - while #2 son was hockeying (up 'til May) - but that's stopped. I've lost some weight too.

I'm 48 and can't be arsed to do too much.

The proof of the pudding will be the YRS fitness testing - there're more worried people than me!!

Last edited: