Fitness tacker

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
My daughter wants a fitbit or similar for Christmas.
Are there any that can be worn on the rugby pitch?
She is a tight head.

Presumably you could fit one in a pouch in the middle of the back like the pros - but I assume there are some regulations somewhere they have to comply to?

Camquin

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Adidas Micoach, a Bluetooth cell that goes in certain adidas boots, counts distance, speed etc, and then you download the data post match to your phone, only safe solution I've found when playing contact.

There is also something by misfit, circular disc that you can put in your pocket, might get away with that, but I wouldn't fancy it

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Wearing something on your wrist would be a no-no.
Current regulation forbid this; whether it changes in the future who knows, but at the moment it's not allowed.
The ones that go in your shoe I can't see a problem with and as far as I am aware they are legal, or at least they are not specifically banned.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Can't think of any reason the Micoach would be forbidden, it goes inside the boot, under the insole in a little pocket so quite literally nothing to see! And importantly nothing to come into contact with, or any danger to wearer or other players.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Can't think of any reason the Micoach would be forbidden,.......

[LAWS]4.4 BANNED ITEMS OF CLOTHING

(i) A player must not wear communication devices within that player’s clothing or attached to
the body.[/LAWS]

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's not a communication device? On it's own, on the field at least, being used as intended it's just a recorder, you don't need your phone or anything else, it just sits there and records your movement?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
aren't all these technically banned in just the same way that tutus and leggings are banned : players may only wear what's spefically permitted, and tutus, leggings and GPS trackers do not appear on the list, therefore are banned.

but clearly in the case of GPS recording devices there's a secret email out there somewhere that allows them for pro games, so given they've clearly been judged safe it would be somewhat harsh to disallow them in an amateur game (I think)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Don't know, might be one of those spirit of the law vs letter of the law things, I wear one in my boots for training and games, no ref on boot inspection has pulled me up on it yet :)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Don't know, might be one of those spirit of the law vs letter of the law things, I wear one in my boots for training and games, no ref on boot inspection has pulled me up on it yet :)

Nor are they likely to.
But if you had something sewn in the back of your shirt.....that would be a different matter.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My daughter wants a fitbit or similar for Christmas.
Are there any that can be worn on the rugby pitch?
She is a tight head.

Presumably you could fit one in a pouch in the middle of the back like the pros - but I assume there are some regulations somewhere they have to comply to?

Camquin

I take it this is whilst playing rather than refereeing?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
not unless a tight head is also a type of referee?

Sorry missed that.

I think I actually read it as she is a tight arse and as such didn't want to spent too much money. :biggrin: