Focus for Changes

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't really agree. They have invested in rugby, they could have invested in Britain Got Talent

dfobrien

Post Likes
yeah - I get that. But the bottom line is, whoever etc may need it as entertainment (the TV companies etc) the real crux of it is that it still relies on those that are not there to entertain

Ok but don't the authorities have a responsibility to ensure that the non-entertainers don't stifle the game for the spectators and others who ARE looking for entertainment? Soccer banned the goalkeeper picking up a backpass. You used to be able to kick out on the full in rugby from anywhere with no loss of yardage. Why should the authorities not ban box kicking outside the 22 if it is a sensible way to improve the game?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ok but don't the authorities have a responsibility to ensure that the non-entertainers don't stifle the game for the spectators and others who ARE looking for entertainment? Soccer banned the goalkeeper picking up a backpass. You used to be able to kick out on the full in rugby from anywhere with no loss of yardage. Why should the authorities not ban box kicking outside the 22 if it is a sensible way to improve the game?

part of the problem might be that the 'authorities' are the big unions who are to some extent trapped in this idea that what's most important is to beat eachother (a zero sum game) .

WR stands above all that - but is not necessarily powerful. (It doesn't own 6n or the lions nor (I think) the championship?
It does own the RWC though

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so we are saying there is alarge demographic of rugby watchers whop only watch as an alternative to britain's got talent, coronation street and great british bake off? And that is they are not entertained they'll watch the 78th repeat of time team instead?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
There may have to be an admission that rugby - XVs, anyway - inherently may not be attractive to a casual spectator.

I love the breakdown, where it lives and breathes.
Honestly, I watch Bath/Leicester many years ago at Wleford Road, and the best thhing was a 20m rolling maul. Everyone there loves it. Casual TV, maybe not so much.

If CVC, or investors, or WR after the casual viewer, tinker with the laws to ensure quicker, faster, more continuity, easier to understand games, then they risk killing what makes rugby unique to the actual participants. Watching the TH angle, goal line atnds against pick and go, Hamish Watson annoying England athe breakdown.

In a melodramatic moment, we may have to ask where our game goes, and what price we are willing to pay for that. Are we happy to have the game gutted of its soul for the money?