[Law] Folau’s online comments have taken a turn for the worse.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
this is what i wrote about, would the wigan warriors had a pride day the same day they play the dragons?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/29/wigan-announce-pride-day-for-clash-with-folau-and-catalans/

English Super League club Wigan Warriors have responded to Israel Folau's return to rugby league by declaring their round eight clash with Catalans will be a 'Pride Day' celebration on March 22.

Just 20 minutes after the French organisation unveiled their controversial recruit, Wigan announced that the match against Folau's new club will be dedicated to the LGBTQ+ community and their players will don rainbow socks and laces for the occasion.

Right OK. You didn't mention the RL club, you just said "Wigan".

Then my answer is... they may have or they may not have, but probably not at this specific time. However, lots of sports embrace rainbow support. Here is a list of 100 just to get you started.

https://www.outsports.com/2017/6/23/15863390/pride-night-lgbt-sports

Includes the Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Red Socks, New Jersey Devils, Houston Astros, Philadelphia Flyers, San Francisco 49ers, LA Dodgers.

Its not as if Wigan has done something unusual or unprecedented here. This announcement of a Gay Pride day is excellent; its perfect timing for the perfect smackdown of a homophobic bigot. Are you suggesting that is a bad thing to respond positively in support of a part of the community that has been verbally attacked by a high-profile bigot? I really hope not.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
any news on how the Catalans Dragons homophobic investigation is going?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
either or both

"The RFL, the UK's governing body, said it was too early to come to a conclusion as they continue their investigation of the incident."

Catalans Dragons are denying it happened (difficult, given there is video evidence of it happening), but they claim the flag was removed because it covered an advertising hoarding.. which is likely true given that the security guard appears to be pointing at the advertising..

3037bd54b9134c8384b20ab8a8c185ff

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

Catalans Dragons are denying it happened (difficult, given there is video evidence of it happening), but they claim the flag was removed because it covered an advertising hoarding.. which is likely true given that the security guard appears to be pointing at the advertising..

source please, i dont find that in articles presented

security guard is doing as told

flags on handrail could be against fire/building code

- - - Updated - - -

any news on how the Catalans Dragons homophobic investigation is going?

could be complete, they do not have an obligation to present findings, it is their business or it could be on the back page of periodicals where corrections/mistakes appear

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
source please, i dont find that in articles presented

security guard is doing as told

flags on handrail could be against fire/building code

- - - Updated - - -

could be complete, they do not have an obligation to present findings, it is their business or it could be on the back page of periodicals where corrections/mistakes appear

"The Dragons have responded by insisting that fans were welcome to display flags but said one was asked to remove theirs because it was covering an advertising board."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ow-flags-confiscated-for-israel-folau-protest

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks for sharing.

That's what shits me about the militant left. Howls of outrage that their rights have been infringed when its as simple & sensible as that.

Definitely an over-reaction by some, but I'd hardly call them the "militant left".

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Right OK. You didn't mention the RL club, you just said "Wigan".

Then my answer is... they may have or they may not have, but probably not at this specific time. However, lots of sports embrace rainbow support. Here is a list of 100 just to get you started.

https://www.outsports.com/2017/6/23/15863390/pride-night-lgbt-sports

Includes the Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Red Socks, New Jersey Devils, Houston Astros, Philadelphia Flyers, San Francisco 49ers, LA Dodgers.

all decisions made by professional organizations are made with image and business success in mind, I think this is a good decision, but do not let them fool you into thinking they are kind

Its not as if Wigan has done something unusual or unprecedented here. This announcement of a Gay Pride day is excellent; its perfect timing for the perfect smackdown of a homophobic bigot. Are you suggesting that is a bad thing to respond positively in support of a part of the community that has been verbally attacked by a high-profile bigot? I really hope not.

I am suggesting that verbal abuse of Chiekha and pride day at wigan are equally result of free speech. Each was made by free will. One freely chose to yell at Chiekha. One freely made pride day at wigan. Neither were result of IF inciting them to do it. Humans can think for themselves, some not very well, but they are human. All three of these events, IF post, Chiekha, and pride day are all free speech and out of free will. Correcting this anti homosexual thinking will not happen in our lifetime, but eventually thru free speech it will. Sorry dude, you and I will never see it.

I suggest you do not use the same techniques that you find offensive to bolster your position. Your hatred has clouded your judgment.

Name calling is easy. Using the word bigot is difficult, but the left has found it easy. I think you could describe yourself as a Isreal Folau bigot. It is just not a good word to use when making a point.

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
"The RFL, the UK's governing body, said it was too early to come to a conclusion as they continue their investigation of the incident."

3037bd54b9134c8384b20ab8a8c185ff

"The Dragons have responded by insisting that fans were welcome to display flags but said one was asked to remove theirs because it was covering an advertising board."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ow-flags-confiscated-for-israel-folau-protest

No a source for the "denying it happened"

The dragons deny the flags were confiscated, but they didn't deny what the picture indicated

I see your slight of hand or your poetic license, or your misread, or your bias, or your cognitive dissonance.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No a source for the "denying it happened"

The dragons deny the flags were confiscated, but they didn't deny what the picture indicated

I see your slight of hand or your poetic license, or your misread, or your bias, or your cognitive dissonance.

Rubbish, it actually in the headline and the first line of text

HEADLINE:
[h=1]Catalans Dragons deny fans had rainbow flags confiscated for Israel Folau protest[/h]
FIRST LINE OF TEXT:
Catalans Dragons have denied allegations that fans had rainbow flags confiscated for protesting against Israel Folau on his Super League debut last weekend.

Now that's it. I'm done doing your homework for you.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Definitely an over-reaction by some, but I'd hardly call them the "militant left".

its not an over-reaction. It is a deliberate twisting of the facts to suit their own agenda & gain notoriety. And to garner support from the gullible.

Arthur: [grabs Dennis] Shut up! Will you shut up?!
Dennis: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!
Arthur: [shakes Dennis] Shut up!
Dennis: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!
Arthur: Bloody Peasant!
Dennis: Ooh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It is leftist idelogy.

No, its common human decency

I am suggesting that verbal abuse of Chiekha and pride day at wigan are equally result of free speech. Each was made by free will. One freely chose to yell at Chiekha. One freely made pride day at wigan. Neither were result of IF inciting them to do it. Humans can think for themselves, some not very well, but they are human. All three of these events, IF post, Chiekha, and pride day are all free speech and out of free will.

I suggest you do not use the same techniques that you find offensive to bolster your position. Your hatred has clouded your judgment.

Name calling is easy. Using the word bigot is difficult, but the left has found it easy. I think you could describe yourself as a Isreal Folau bigot. It is just not a good word to use when making a point.

If I am going to be criticised for being vocal and uncompromising in support of the rights of members of the LGBT community to not be harassed, vilified and discriminated against, then I will wear that criticism as a badge of honour.

I have said before and I will say again, if people think that Folau's homophobic rants are protected by some Free Speech mandate that grants anyone the right to say what they want, when they want, wherever they want, without consequences, then they... are... wrong! The ONLY right anyone has in regards to Free Speech that the GOVERNMENTS cannot make laws against it.

Free Speech is not absolute, and certain types of speech, when exercised, have consequences.

Correcting this anti homosexual thinking will not happen in our lifetime, but eventually thru free speech it will. Sorry dude, you and I will never see it.

All the more important then, that we are uncompromising in showing the way by making homophobes pariahs in our communities. That way, at least our children, or grandchildren will be able to live in a world free of that particular blight on the community.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
its not an over-reaction. It is a deliberate twisting of the facts to suit their own agenda & gain notoriety. And to garner support from the gullible.

Arthur: [grabs Dennis] Shut up! Will you shut up?!
Dennis: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!
Arthur: [shakes Dennis] Shut up!
Dennis: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!
Arthur: Bloody Peasant!
Dennis: Ooh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

Quoting a work of fiction to support your claim? Yeah, that's about par for the course. :biggrin:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
All the more important then, that we are uncompromising in showing the way by making homophobes pariahs in our communities. That way, at least our children, or grandchildren will be able to live in a world free of that particular blight on the community.

I appreciate your optimism. IMO and only my opinion, this will not be solved by our generation or theirs. I'd like to be wrong. IMO and only my opinion, free speech is how it will be solved.

Accurate speech will also be helpful, but I don't see that happening either.