Football referee survey

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Matching back 10m was tried in Association Football. It doesn't work. Territory is less of an advantage than possession.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Matching back 10m was tried in Association Football. It doesn't work. Territory is less of an advantage than possession.
less opportunity to do it as well, as in rugby there are many PKs, but in football many fewer FK.

BUT when the FK is close to the goal I would think that 10m would be significant?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
less opportunity to do it as well, as in rugby there are many PKs, but in football many fewer FK.

BUT when the FK is close to the goal I would think that 10m would be significant?
Unless you made a direct FK a penalty if it moved into the Penalty Area there's no advantage gained. The freekick experts of this world have an optimum distance they like to hit from (allowing for variables like the height of the wall). The closer you are to the goal the more difficult it is to get the ball "up and down" over the wall.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
being daft now...

an advanced FK - or an alternative to advancing it maybe - borrowed from rugby ...

kick out to to0uch keeps the throw in (territory gain).
Or even kick it dead over the "goal line" (whatever its called) gets a corner kick .

Not much help for infringements uinide the oppo half admittedly

as i said just daft suggestions :)

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Soccer did trial 10m a few seasons ago but dropped it pretty quickly for some reason.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Issue is in soccer 10m is nothing, you can just pass it forward 10m in seconds so there isn't any real material threat. Still thing 10min in the bin for a YC is the answer 🟨

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Issue is in soccer 10m is nothing, you can just pass it forward 10m in seconds so there isn't any real material threat. Still thing 10min in the bin for a YC is the answer 🟨
just giving a FK could be the first step.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
All that is based on the idea that the people in charge actually care. I am not sure they do
Just leave them to it then, if they can't be arsed, they get what they deserve and we all move on.

Nothing to see here!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Aussie Rules doesn't have sin bin but they do march a team 50 metres for any dissent. That could work in soccer (10 metres, not 50 metres)
They tried it. And it worked up until a certain point of the field, and then it became counterproductive. For a free kick at goal to have a chance at success, there needs to be a certain distance for the ball to be able to get around/above the wall and then back on target.

Teams, if they gave a FK away in the danger zone were happily conceding another 10m just to make the FK more difficult, and soccer didn;t have it in the laws that you can take the kick anywhere in line. It was from the exact mark.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Teams, if they gave a FK away in the danger zone were happily conceding another 10m just to make the FK more difficult, and soccer didn;t have it in the laws that you can take the kick anywhere in line. It was from the exact mark.
Perhaps that last bit could be tweaked
Or perhaps you could move the wall back 5m?
Maybe there are other possibilities

The first thing to do is to actually penalise abuse (with a FK)
Then to think of any ways of enhancing the FK as above
Then then sin bin

I think there are tools they could use, and tools they could devise if they wanted.. but the real problem is that they dont really care

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
on field things won;t change the behaviour.

Meaningful sanctions at the disciplinary, who stand up and do the right thing? That will. Big bans at the higher levels. Big financial sanctions at the lower level. Half a season of that, and you'd see the needle shift.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
on field things won;t change the behaviour.
i suppose it may dimish some behaviours. But as we see in rugby, it doesnt change all behaviour - witness head contact in upright tackles at the elite end.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Aussie Rules doesn't have sin bin but they do march a team 50 metres for any dissent. That could work in soccer (10 metres, not 50 metres)

If I marched people back 50m they would be in the car park :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64679362. The rot starts at the top.
I would love to see just one ref stand his ground after a decision and red card anyone who touches or sweras at him/her.
It would sort it out quickly.
In my local area plenty of football players are now getting 10 minutes in the bin for arguing with the ref.
It's a start but I have no sympathy with them until they stert enforcing their own laws.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Meanwhile in Wales the authorities crack down ...
Sort of ...

Though someone should have a word with the coach…
Fairwater head coach Brendan McAloon told WalesOnline the second yellow card Jones received was "debatable", insisting the frustrated player accidentally knocked the cards out of the official's hand as he remonstrated over the decision. He said it did not amount to physical abuse.

"It was a silly reaction but he only tapped the card out of the referee's hand. He was frustrated because they were two yellow cards for technical offences and the second one was debatable."

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I play football and rugby. I also watch both sports. I think there's a difference between verbally disagreeing with a decision and being abusive. I work in a call center and we're trained to recognise that the customer isn't always swearing at you, more the information. How is that a f-ing foul is different to how is that a foul you c**t. One is frustration the other is personal abuse. So I think to have this as a goto will result in more frustration than anything else. In my (nearly) 30 years of playing, watching, coaching and reffing rugby and nearly 40 years for the same with football.... the main difference is that (in my experience anyway) the ref in rugby, will explain what he/she has seen and what they expect to see to prevent further infringements. Whereas the football refs will say its a free-kick go away. And just repeat that. We as rugby refs are open to making a mistake and changing our decision is needed, football refs aren't. So it seems to me, to be more respect is given to players in rugby than football, so the players in football, will not give the refs there the same level of respect as rugby refs.

I think this is understandable and it is def fixable.

I also think that the football refs have the tools they need. They just need to apply them, I give you an example2, based on how a conversation would go ATM.

Defender fouls attacker, ref blows up. Defender goes, how's that a f-ing foul. Go away it was a foul. Player gets more frustrated, come-on to f*ck how? Ref repeats what she said, player then goes oh for f*cks sake, ref has had enough. YC. The cycle repeats due to the YC. Now the ref should issue 1 final warning, you're using abusive language calm down or I will issue you another Yellow card. Then follow through. (2 YCs make a red like with Rugby).

Now this is the level of communication I have witnessed in hundreds of games I've played in or watched at grass routes level. Most of this could be negated by better comms from the ref.

Defender fouls attacker, ref blows up. Defender goes, how's that a f-ing foul. (We've started the same way). Ref replies, you slid in uncontrollable. This is, in my opinion dangerous/reckless. So I've penalised you for it. Player might not be happy still and won't dispel some continued objections, but will dispel a lot.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I also think that the football refs have the tools they need. They just need to apply them, I give you an example2, based on how a conversation would go ATM.

Absolutely and it seems that football do not want to protect their match officials:

“We have thoroughly reviewed all of the evidence in relation to the recent incident at Anfield involving the Liverpool defender Andrew Robertson and match official Constantine Hatzidakis, and we will be taking no further action,” read an FA statement."
“It was certainly not my intention to make any contact with Andy as I pulled my arm away from him and for that I have apologised. I look forward to returning to officiating matches.”

Everything was about the alleged elbow but nothing about the absolute disrespect and abuse of the match officials, including grabbing the arm of the AR - a straight Red, that is endemic in the game.

If the authorities cannot use such an incident to catalyse a change, then there is no real hope of anything improving.

Nothing, not even basic manners and respect, can interfere with the cash generation machine