Football vs Rugby : proof

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
At Uni today...

Conversation about the booing of Australia kicker @ twickenham at the weekend.

Football coach says "what a load of crap. You guys are totally up yourself. It's part of sport if you want to boo the opposition."

There was no answer to that! I smiled. :rolleyes:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
At Uni today...

Conversation about the booing of Australia kicker @ twickenham at the weekend.

Football coach says "what a load of crap. You guys are totally up yourself. It's part of sport if you want to boo the opposition."

There was no answer to that! I smiled. :rolleyes:

Take him to Wimbledon (tennis, not soccer!)

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Why boo?

Do you think the kicker is too good for you? Have you no faith in your own team? Do you feel that victory at any price is worth it? Do you play for enjoyment?

Maybe you boo the kicker because you have no concept of personal dignity and self worth?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I boo the kicker at Super League games!!!

I don't boo the kicker at RU games!!!

Discuss.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I boo the kicker at Super League games!!!

I don't boo the kicker at RU games!!!

Discuss.

1. Mob mentality

2. Peer pressure

3. The 100th sheep effect..... baa aa aa aa!!

4. The socio-economic level of the fans

5. Rugby Lite is a manifestation of the Dark Side, and you have gone over to it.

I think that just about covers it!:biggrin:

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
1. Mob mentality

2. Peer pressure

3. The 100 sheep effect..... baa aa aa aa!!

4. The socio-economic level of the fans

5. Rugby Lite is a manifestation of the Dark Side, and you have gone over to it.

Is number 3 a bit like the lynx effect here?

(100 sheep is a good crowd in your provincial championship from what I've seen.)

Point 4 is a tad snobby Mr Cook but probably true! :biggrin:

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Like many other mysteries ("let him up" being one) I had never heard the concept of not booing an opposition kicker until coming on to this site.

When I was a young bloke getting down next to the fence and bashing on the metal advertising hoardings while screaming "your shoe lace is undone" , "chewy on ya boot" and other witicisms was the go at both league and union games.

(But then I am a colonial yob)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
speak for yourself Tiger..in this parts only at the league do they boo the kicker...but more recently 50% of the brumbies crowds have come over from that 'ugly side' and brought their bad habits with them...pity really!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I suspect that the type of international affects the crowd behavious as well.

Eg At a full 6 Nations game only the die hard (generally well behaved) rugby supporters get the tickets. At Autumn internationals, where tickets are available to everybody there tends to be a bigger percentage of kids / youngsters eg fathers taking the kids / cousins along, and perhaps they aren't as "mature" as the ones who get the 6 Nations tickets. I can't imagine the same level of booing for example at an England v Scotland 6 Nations game.

Its just a thought - blow it out of the water if you like. :D

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I suspect that the type of international affects the crowd behavious as well.

Eg At a full 6 Nations game only the die hard (generally well behaved) rugby supporters get the tickets. At Autumn internationals, where tickets are available to everybody there tends to be a bigger percentage of kids / youngsters eg fathers taking the kids / cousins along, and perhaps they aren't as "mature" as the ones who get the 6 Nations tickets. I can't imagine the same level of booing for example at an England v Scotland 6 Nations game.

How do ticket prices compare, AI with Six Nations?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the ticketing system is the same for 6N and Autumn Internationals (??) - ie primarilly through clubs and schools, surplus sold publicly.

For ages it was exclusively clubs and schools, but in the last 2 years or so the RFU have finally, after years of prices rises and more and more games, discovered what the ceiling is for that channel and for these game, and for the 6N last season, the period before the game has seen tickets available on ticket master.

Eng v SA tickets available now for £66 or £78 (sinlge tickets only, not good seats)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
England v Samoa tickets are very competitively priced in comparison to a real rugby match. I think you can get adult tickets for £35 and kids for a tenner, whereas for the other internationals (AI or 6N) you are talking minimum of £40, more likely £60 with no discounting available.

Despite the lower prices, there will be 20,000 spare seats on Saturday.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
dixie - for the others more likely £80 or £100 I think.

yes samoa is cheap, but always unsatisfying

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The prices for tickets at 6N matches and against 3N opponents are £87 (0), £73 (10), £62 (3), £54 (2), £40 (2). The figures in brackets are my club's allocation.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I can't imagine the same level of booing for example at an England v Scotland 6 Nations game.

Murrayfield. Scotland England. Booing?
Oh, youbetcha. And that's just the polite folks. Especially in the 90s.