Forum Behaviour

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I used to use the site quite often and while I have always been a rare poster I have largely given up on it as both a refereeing resource and an enjoyable place to read posts (or lurk if you prefer)... It is too rare to find a question posed and answered reasonably simply. Now I know TLOtG are not always straightforward but for an inexperienced referee some of the threads must be even more confusing than I find them!

I would not presume to think I know it all, I make my share of on field gaffs, and I take a look occasionally as I have now to see if there is anything going on of interest and to see if I can learn anything.

too often I find that the posts drift off into great detail that become turgid and I loose interest as a "hard core" have fun debating. My lack of intellectual rigour maybe....

Having said that I do hope it continues because at its best it can be very good if you are able pick the wheat you need from what you find is chaff.

I agree with most of this and I think part of it is also that the forums seem so unorganized. There are simply too many categories and subforums. They need to be streamlined.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
but on the other hand investigating is fun !

illinois rugger joined in 2009, in the middle of a spat between Ian Cook and Brian Moore
needless to say, iilinois rugger was on Ian's side.
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread...no-crooked-feeds&p=79459&highlight=#post79459
and Ian liked what Illinois had to say
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread...no-crooked-feeds&p=79465&viewfull=1#post79465
and Illinois came to Ian's support later in the year on the same topic
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread...on-crooked-feeds&p=98398&highlight=#post98398

So I'll ask the question : Ian -- are you and illinois by any chance the same person ?

Let me get this straight: the OP is about respect on the forum, and one of your leading pitches is to accuse someone of being a sockpuppet, based on THAT evidence?

Physician, heal thyself

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I will accept Ian's assertion that he is not Illinois Rugger.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
For me the latter is far more detrimental to this forum than the former (which happens less often).
It has led to more experienced referees leaving, or only posting very occasionally; thus the forum and its members lose out on their advice.

Indeed Phil, I have only recently started re-posting after a significant break, directly caused by "the latter" reason and having better things to do with my time. I am here to discuss, learn from and help colleagues of whatever level, not listen to minutae debates irrelevant to day-to-day community reffing.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For me the latter is far more detrimental to this forum than the former (which happens less often).
It has led to more experienced referees leaving, or only posting very occasionally; thus the forum and its members lose out on their advice.

Crossref has perceived a problem and is doing something to fix it. Good on that man. I doubt he'll be successfull but he's giving it a red hot go.

You have perceived a different problem - what are you going to do to fix that?

This isn't an either/or situation. We can fix 2 problems at the same time.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Crossref has perceived a problem and is doing something to fix it. Good on that man. I doubt he'll be successfull but he's giving it a red hot go.

You have perceived a different problem - what are you going to do to fix that?

This isn't an either/or situation. We can fix 2 problems at the same time.

Tell you what I wont do....shoot the messenger!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I was goingh to suggest snipers Phil!

didds

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'm just hoping out of all this I can raise my proportion of posts/likes/thanks from it's current abysmal level. Although it could go the wrong way with a huge increase in not likes......

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
On another tack, but still in the general theme of how the forum could become better --
- here's two excellent nuggets of information posted today in response to caniscot's question

The way it was explained to us by our resident Premiership Referee is that its "a tackle with offside lines, don't shout ruck".

The way it was explained to us (panel ref, panel AR) was that the the first player to arrive only creates a ruck in so far as it produces an offside line. You need an opponent in contact for the full ruck law to apply.

That's just the sort of well-sourced guideline / interpretation that this forum is useful for.
- I'd like to see more of that sort of thing cascaded
- and ideally cascaded proactively --- Phil, OB perhaps this was something you found out today, but it felt like it handn't occured to you to share it until caniscot happened to ask the right question

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I dont post as much as I used to or would like to.

There is one poster in particular that to me is passive aggressive,and snide in many of his comments, it just makes debating your pov a chore and takes the fun out of it.

I have received a lot of very good advice when starting out on here but over the last year or so some posters have taken the fun out of it.

No question should be considered stupid and we need to rein in the one or two bullies that are turning people away.

when it works well this is an excellent site and a font of knowledge, wit and wisdom.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
All I'll add to this is

- this site is brilliant. The coaching firums I used to frequent have over time just dwindled and died, but this place goes on an on afresh every day

- On the whole I tend to filter out the tit-for-tat bickering, but I appreciate other's mileage varies on this.

- I have on very few occasions (possibly just occasion?!) contacted admins off-line about stuff I have seen that I thought was really out of order, or boring. I've never got a response from these so can only assume that admins don;t agree with me but are not prepared to be communicative about it. The former is fine, but the latter poor - IMO I hasten to add.

didds

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
- I have on very few occasions (possibly just occasion?!) contacted admins off-line about stuff I have seen that I thought was really out of order, or boring. I've never got a response from these so can only assume that admins don;t agree with me but are not prepared to be communicative about it. The former is fine, but the latter poor - IMO I hasten to add.

didds

Blimey, i didn't realise being boring was an issue for admins as well. Half the posts on here would need deleting.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not boring as in "zzzzz"... I was being kind ;-)

didds

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Not boring as in "zzzzz"... I was being kind ;-)

didds

you know what really bothers me?! when didds types "didds" at the end of all his comments. We know it was written by didds, it says didds immediately to the left of what didds wrote.

(and for anyone who might be wondering I'm kidding)

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
you know what really bothers me?! when didds types "didds" at the end of all his comments. We know it was written by didds, it says didds immediately to the left of what didds wrote.

(and for anyone who might be wondering I'm kidding)

I've never understood it. but I am not botherted by it I'd rather judge posts by their content and not what they're dressed up in.

The only posters that really annoy me are the ones who effectively say "I don't care, I'm going to do X". Ntionalistic bias is regrettable though understandable.

I don't like double standards where, it seems, mods are allowed more latitude than ordinary posters.

But being told your stupid or whatever? come on guys we get that for a couple of hours every Saturday. You can't be too delicate if you are going to be a referee.

I have three posters on ignore. Why? Not because they a "rude" (at that means whatever the individual wants it to mean!) but because their arguments contain fewer points than Arsenal and I find a waste of time reading.

Some like Ian C, Crossref (just don't see his point re clothing at all - but he is entitled to believe it), Didds and Phil E I disagree strongly with at times but they also generally make their arguments well and their views challenge mine which can only be good.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've never understood it. but I am not botherted by it I'd rather judge posts by their content and not what they're dressed up in.

The only posters that really annoy me are the ones who effectively say "I don't care, I'm going to do X". Ntionalistic bias is regrettable though understandable.

I don't like double standards where, it seems, mods are allowed more latitude than ordinary posters.

But being told your stupid or whatever? come on guys we get that for a couple of hours every Saturday. You can't be too delicate if you are going to be a referee.

I have three posters on ignore. Why? Not because they a "rude" (at that means whatever the individual wants it to mean!) but because their arguments contain fewer points than Arsenal and I find a waste of time reading.

Some like Ian C, Crossref (just don't see his point re clothing at all - but he is entitled to believe it), Didds and Phil E I disagree strongly with at times but they also generally make their arguments well and their views challenge mine which can only be good.

Am I one of the 3? If you answer this, I guess I'm not. If you don't, then I guess I am. Unless, you just don't answer it. I'm getting a headache

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I hope I'm one of the three. Dickie, he could view your post, answer it and still let you on his ignore list.
I think ignore lists are a good thing, since they help cut down on the very behaviour the OP speaks of.

In terms of the forums going forward, both problems need to be addressed. Thanks to crossref for raising the topic. Down to each of us to change his own behaviour and ignore(/not focus on) the foibles of other members. YMMV

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

I've noticed I've "liked" a lot of your posts of late Pegleg :) I am obviously teaching you well ;-)

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

This thread is an example of the same thing .. no response at all from the mods (yes, some individuals have posted but I think as individuals and not as group mod response, please correct me if I am wrong )

So I am curious .. do the mod team think that the standard of behaviour is just peachy and there is nothing to be done ? Or do they think standards do need to be improved and they are putting f some actions into place ?
Ditto for the problem that Phil E raises