Forward pass law

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So @BikingBud

In post #8 you explain that this is all about velocity

In post #20 , understanding that the ball has no velocity, you explain that in fact it is all about the relative position of the two players

And neither of those two concepts are even mentioned in the Law definition of a Throw Forward

Can you see now that this is a difficult Law question to answer?

(It's NOT a difficult scenario to referee, peep, scrum, happy days. But one day something like this may cause problems for a TMO trying to apply the letter if the Law)

Last edited:

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I'm not convinced that it is possible to transfer a ball one player to another running at speed such that the ball maintains zero velocity throughout the transfer :unsure: :censored:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I'm not convinced that it is possible to transfer a ball one player to another running at speed such that the ball maintains zero velocity throughout the transfer :unsure: :censored:

Velocity in which direction, and relative to what? ;)

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Velocity in which direction, and relative to what? ;)
In any direction relative to the passer.

(Check my reply in the other thread... more velocity fun, though I decided to say "direction" instead to keep it simple.)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
that's why my scenario had the player passing the ball as stationary, for clarity.

But even when running, the balls forward velocity will be the same as the that of the player who is handing over the ball

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Throw forward: When a player throws or passes the ball forward i.e. if the arms of the player passing the ball move forward.

If the ball did not move forwards (relative to the player) then it is not a forward pass or knock on. I note the 'simplified' Law Books has removed some lines here which could have been helpful.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Throw forward: When a player throws or passes the ball forward i.e. if the arms of the player passing the ball move forward.

If the ball did not move forwards (relative to the player) then it is not a forward pass or knock on.

For a forward pass that's definitely correct.

For a knock-on, I don't think that is correct - I think we judge a knock on by whether it goes forward relative to the ground.

This was explored in my scenario #2 - where a play drops the ball behind him, but it has still travelled forward over the ground.

Not many people would explicitly say yes/no, but from the comments I think the view was unanimously : it's a knock on

this is the one --