Forwards entering maul before the lineout is over

FightOrFlight

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Red v Blue. A reduced numbers lineout on blue throw (4v4 I think) with the rest of the forwards out with the backs. Player goes up, comes down and a maul is set up.

I have my arm up to signal the maul has not moved past the line of touch as you do. Maul is a little static to start but suddenly in come a load of Red forwards to enter the maul. My arm is still up and there has only been a little bit of movement(Funnily enough there were quite a few blue supporters at the game but none appealed at this!). I call advantage for offside as the players entered before the lineout was over but blue even with less numbers get a decent enough push of 5-8m on before they commit suicide and give it to to the backs who typically knock it on.

I blow the PK but as I turn to go to the mark I am struck with a moment of uncertainty as to where exactly I am going. I did not see where exactly the offending forwards crossed the offside line but I have a decent idea where that line was. In order to not look like I was a bit clueless I made the quick decision that I first noticed an offence as they arrived or were arriving to join the maul so I give the PK for offside on the 15m line 10m forward of where the line of touch was. I picked the 15m line as the lineout was not over when the offence was committed(or noticed more so) and the 10m up from the line of touch as that is the offside line. It was perhaps some creative flexing of the laws on my part but there were few complaints so I got away with it so to speak.

Question I'm asking is if the proper mark for this PK is at the mark on the offside like at which they crossed? So if it was from mid field is it in mid field? And what are the thoughts on the mark I came up with in the heat of the moment?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
On the 15 sounds good to me, all PK's for LO are given there, so an easy one to sell :wink: For "non-line out" players it's given 9.9m away (where they cross the O/S line), but as I said if you can't clearly identify that on the 15m is always a good call.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The offence is offside when not taking part in a lineout. Law 19.15(a). At point of infringement (10m from LoT) and not less than 15m from touch.

Just like you done it.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I see this happen quite often. You can be almost certain that these forwards crossed the offside line within 15 metres of the touchline so on 15 metre line is correct.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Id have done similar to you, easy sell if not certain, but One things for sure, the mark can't be 10m away from the LoT cos thats an onside position !

In order to be C&O, I'd mark the offence a maximum of 9m, probably 8 - 8.5 ( although reading so far, it could just be my quirk on this distance)

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Browner, do you carry a tape measure or use GPS? If the TJ/AR is marking the defensive 10m (I believe defenders infringing i OP) then that's the mark. Why be cute?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Browner, do you carry a tape measure or use GPS? If the TJ/AR is marking the defensive 10m (I believe defenders infringing i OP) then that's the mark. Why be cute?

No i dont, & that's a rather daft question.

Perhaps you might consider that there are referees who operate without 'active trained ARs/TJ in their matches.