Foul Play and replacements...

cgedin

Post Likes
During a game, a player commits an act of foul play.
While the referee is waiting for a replay of the incident, the player is subbed...
Can the player be subbed while play is stopped?

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
No problem but with the proviso that if the foul play turns out to warrant a card the player is recalled and the card administered.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
No problem but with the proviso that if the foul play turns out to warrant a card the player is recalled and the card administered.
and presumably the subbed on player has to leave the game - or somebody else comes off for him/her to remain?

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes unless he is going to receive a red card in which case no substitution

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
yes unless he is going to receive a red card in which case no substitution
Do you lose the Substitution too? I mean if you've got 8 movements and the player who subs off has been RC, do you now only have 7?

Isn't it easily fixed by not permitting player movements until after a decision is made?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Players are not allowed to enter or leave without referee permission. A referee/fourth official would/should not allow any sub until the matter is resolved.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
So I don’t know how the scenario in the OP can happen. Something has gone wrong if it does.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I can't see how this would happen either but I suppose anything's possible.
Just cancel and reverse the substitution, show the card and start again from there.

Thinking about it I have come across incidents in the weeds where a team knowing a player is likely to get carded hurriedly change him and try to hide him in the crowd while the ref is otherwise preoccupied. Teams will often make a change and then tell you after it's happened. Go with my suggestion above.

NB: I am it sure it was stated that the fixed number of changes for rolling subs is the responsibility of the coaches to monitor and if a team makes 9 when they are only allowed 8 it was not the ref's fault, although he will obviously keep count.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
NB: I am it sure it was stated that the fixed number of changes for rolling subs is the responsibility of the coaches to monitor and if a team makes 9 when they are only allowed 8 it was not the ref's fault, although he will obviously keep count.
If you can find that I, for one, am interested! Except, of course, you will then have one coach's word against another's.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thinking about it I have come across incidents in the weeds where a team knowing a player is likely to get carded hurriedly change him and try to hide him in the crowd while the ref is otherwise preoccupied. Teams will often make a change and then tell you after it's happened. Go with my suggestion above.
I had advantage for foul play once against #2 Green who already had a YC and was going to receive a second. Two weeks until the elimination final so even with the mandatory week off for the RC he would have been good to play in the finals. After a good 3 minutes (too long in hindsight) of sustained pressure on the line the non-infringing team scored a try and after awarding it I double tapped for time and asked for #2 and Captain. No number 2 on the field while the player I pointed at was wearing number 16 , along with a claim that they didn't have a #2. They had changed jerseys while I was distracted and tried to convince me that I must have seen #12 not #2. RC for the now #16 Green and a code of conduct violation for the club ended up having them nearly miss the finals. RC got given an extra week on the sideline and missed the elimination final anyway.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If you can find that I, for one, am interested! Except, of course, you will then have one coach's word against another's.

It would be buried in an RFU communication from when interchanges first came into effect, but I will have a go at looking for it.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I'm sure it fairly recently happened in a televised international match. I can't recall who. But the switch was cancelled, the subbed player returned for his YC and the Replacement returned after the 10 mins was up (as the ref had waved on the binned player but the team made the sub then).