[Tackle] Foul play v Late Tackle

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I volunteered to run touch today for the away team at Stafford v Walsall. During the game there was a late tackle after a defender kicked from his 22 towards touch. The referee awarded a penalty and a YC. However, the location of the penalty was at the place of the tackle rather than where the ball landed (approx. 50m upfield). I asked 'sir' after the game and he said once he deemed it was foul play (9.13) then the kick must be at the place of the tackle. I would argue that 9.25 applies and the kick should be where the ball landed.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Yup, you were right. 9.13 is after the ball has been passed.

Incidentally, I've just noticed a distinct lack of provisos on 9.25.e...

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just to be Devil's advocate...I suppose it depends on how you define 'late'!!

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Just to be Devil's advocate...I suppose it depends on how you define 'late'!!

In this case the tackler would need to get a better lawyer than the Devil. But in every case it's either 'late' or it's not and that's just one of the things as a ref we have to decide.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In this case the tackler would need to get a better lawyer than the Devil. But in every case it's either 'late' or it's not and that's just one of the things as a ref we have to decide.

My comment referred to the difference between a hit/tackle immediately after a kick and a hit/tackle a few seconds later after the kicker has maybe run 10m or whatever.

Both 'late' as such but, if I am correct, would result in different outcomes.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is it possible the ref thought it was "high" as the foul play and then forgot about the lateness of it???(been there, done that).
Otherwiseif it was late only it seems he got that one wrong.