[Assistant Referees] Fourth Official

FatherFlipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Morning,

I've got a gig as fourth official at a Women's game this weekend. Am looking forward to it (and gives me a chance to watch some high level referees close up). Question is....what, in general terms, am I expected to do as a 4th official? I'm sure it'll differ from ref to ref, but any pointers would be good. Merci.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
is there a 5th official or are you managing both teams?

1. make sure you're full bottle on substition laws and regulations. I'd have a copy of these in case you're challenged.
2. ensure you know what you are responsible to do and cover all contingencies (eg what will you do if you have 3 players in the bin - have 3 watches or someone to assist?)
3. do you have to run water to the ref?
4. introduce yourself to the team manager/s early and ensure they are ready. Over here teams have 8 player movement cards that they give to #4. Make sure they have these.
5. will you communicate directly to ref or via AR? Check the right protocols (eg what colours will the ref be using)
6. During the game be available & visible to team manager and be alert to players warming up, injuries that may lead to a sub, etc
7. be confident in yourself. If you think that a player may have not come off and there are 16 on the pitch, tell the ref to hold
8. player in the bin - tell her and manager frequently how long to go - maybe every 2 or 3 minutes.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Most importantly, helping the To3 by taking over substitutions, and possibly sin-bin times.

In the rather unlikely event of the referee being incapacitated, being ready to take over from which AR is promoted.

Keep coaches and subs in their respective technical zones, allow water carriers and medical staff on as appropriate.

If there are ball-kids, keep an eye on them. Not because they are your responsibility, but because what happens in the playing enclosure but outside the field of play is.

Know before kick-off who official photographers are, if any. Keep them in touch too.

Have fun!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Morning,

I've got a gig as fourth official at a Women's game this weekend. Am looking forward to it (and gives me a chance to watch some high level referees close up). Question is....what, in general terms, am I expected to do as a 4th official? I'm sure it'll differ from ref to ref, but any pointers would be good. Merci.

Have you checked your society's web site? They should have a PDF listing the duties of the 4th official. They should also have a copy of their preferred subs' card for you to use as well (will make life easier for you).

FatherFlipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Timing is everything - the referee for the game has just emailed me the list of jobs/instructions/protocols for the game! Thanks for the advise above as well, matches what everyone has stated thus far. Does look like I'm managing both teams. And I hadn't even thought about photographers!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Morning,

(and gives me a chance to watch some high level referees close up). Merci.

Don't count on watching either the referee or the game.......you can be busy yourself and need to focus on your own business!!

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fourth official is like fielding in cricket... nothing happens for an age, and then chaos when the ball comes your way :)

Usually all will be fine, until around the 60-minute mark... when both sides want to make substitutions.

Hope it went well!

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Usually all will be fine, until around the 60-minute mark... when both sides want to make substitutions.

Ah, you haven't dealt with Sevens - half a dozen subs and three tries within the same minute.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Make sure 'blood subs' are for players who are really bleeding and not those that just want a free ten minute rest.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I was under the impression that when Rolling Substitutions are being used, there was no longer a blood bin (under local Union regulations). All that matters is checking if a player coming off is injured and therefore could not go back on again. As a consequence, minor injuries are not declared in case the player is needed later for emergency cover.