Free Kick behind 22

Donk93953

Post Likes
Free Kick awarded behind 22.
Player does not tap the ball and kick it , but kicks it DIRECTLY into touch.

Soooo, line out to opposition where the ball went into touch, or scrum to opposition where Free Kick awarded, or.....?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
How did the ball get into the 22 in the first place?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Soooo, line out to opposition where the ball went into touch, or scrum to opposition where Free Kick awarded, or.....?
Sounds like LO to opposition as described.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"A player kicks the ball from a free-kick awarded within the 22.
Where the ball reaches the touchline.
The non-kicking team."

Law 18.8.d

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

LO to opposition at the point the ball crossed the plane of touch... am I missing something here, seems very straight forward?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Law 20
The kicker may punt, drop-kick or place-kick (other than for touch) the ball.

Balones

Post Likes
Unclear to me why that would matter.
When asking the question I had my reviewers head on and the approach that I/we take to enable referees to analyse situations.
When a referee asks a question of the nature that was asked by the OP I like to take the referee through a thought process that hopefully enables the referee to reach the answer/solution themselves.
So if I was asked the question face to face I would firstly ask the referee, ‘how did the ball get into the 22 in the first place’? Once that has been answered I would then perhaps ask for example, ‘what happened next’? Or ‘what caused the FK’? This should lead the referee to the answer.
I appreciate that a forum is perhaps not the best vehicle for this approach.:) I shouldn’t view this forum while taking a break from writing last Saturday’s report!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Fair e bnough balones... what if after the initial question wrt ghow the ball got there, the ref says "Doesnt matter. its a FK innit" ?

:)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
ref coaching 101 ... always answer a question with another question :)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
When asking the question I had my reviewers head on and the approach that I/we take to enable referees to analyse situations.
When a referee asks a question of the nature that was asked by the OP I like to take the referee through a thought process that hopefully enables the referee to reach the answer/solution themselves.
So if I was asked the question face to face I would firstly ask the referee, ‘how did the ball get into the 22 in the first place’? Once that has been answered I would then perhaps ask for example, ‘what happened next’? Or ‘what caused the FK’? This should lead the referee to the answer.
I appreciate that a forum is perhaps not the best vehicle for this approach.:) I shouldn’t view this forum while taking a break from writing last Saturday’s report!

I'm with dibbs. I'd be checking your orange juice at this point to see how many vodkas you've slipped in there.

Balones

Post Likes
Fair e bnough balones... what if after the initial question wrt ghow the ball got there, the ref says "Doesnt matter. its a FK innit" ?

:)
By enabling a referee to analyse a situation quickly and fully he is more likely to answer his/her own question.
I asked myself, why did the OP ask the question? What aspect of the scenario is the OP not really sure about? I would in such circumstances just take the referee back a step or two in the process to try to glean what exactly was causing a glitch in the decision making process. Were they thinking for example that the free kick was being awarded to the side that had brought the ball into the 22 in the first place? What does the award of a scrum or lineout fulfil in that decision making process? Etc.
P.S. More a gin and orange person myself.😀 - but only beer at most when writing reports.