Free kick taken back into 22

Jon Ralph

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Got asked this in a Law exam last night and can't work out the answer.
Free kick awarded just outside the 22m. The kicker steps back into his 22 in line with the mark and kicks directly to touch. Where is the line out.
1. Gain in ground - where the ball crossed the line
2. No gain and in line with the mark
3. Inside the 22, in line with where he took the kick.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm going with 19.1 j (in the Oz LOTG booklet)

[LAWS]Outside the kicker’s 22, no gain in ground. When a free kick awarded outside the 22 goes directly into touch, the throw-in is in line with where the ball was kicked, or where it went into touch, whichever is nearer the kicker’s goal line.[/LAWS]

So option 3 in your quiz.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
As ( j) doesn't specifically refer to 'taken back in' , then I'm going for 19.1(b)

When a team causes the ball to be put into their own 22.

Still 3. Though.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
noting that in a lower level or kids' game you might give him a "mate, its a short arm. If you kick it out on the full the lineout will be back here"

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
This can be unfair if the opponents do something to cause the referee to advance the FK 10m, and thereby putting the mark outside the 22.

The only counter is if the referee decides it was an offence that justified a PK for some reason. There is no provision for a team to decline the extra 10m.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
This can be unfair if the opponents do something to cause the referee to advance the FK 10m, and thereby putting the mark outside the 22.

The only counter is if the referee decides it was an offence that justified a PK for some reason. There is no provision for a team to decline the extra 10m.

Off the top of my head, I didn't think you could advance a FK and it still remain a Fk, I always understood a Subsequent misconduct always became raised to a PK, which by definition meant a kick direct to touch wasnt affected ?

?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
As ( j) doesn't specifically refer to 'taken back in' , then I'm going for 19.1(b)
When a team causes the ball to be put into their own 22.
Still 3. Though.

It doesn't need to state 'taken back in'. The FK was AWARDED outside the 22; the Law doesn't have to say anything about where the kick was taken.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Off the top of my head, I didn't think you could advance a FK and it still remain a Fk, I always understood a Subsequent misconduct always became raised to a PK, which by definition meant a kick direct to touch wasnt affected ?

?

21.8 says otherwise.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
21.8 says otherwise.

Invariably if the opposition infringe the provisions of 21.8 (a,b,c,d) .... aren't they then mostly/invariably falling foul of 10.2(a), i m sure we see more fk's turn into Pk's , than remain fk's

Least that's my perception of non elite levels
?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It doesn't need to state 'taken back in'. The FK was AWARDED outside the 22; the Law doesn't have to say anything about where the kick was taken.

19.1. j & k exist to differentiate between ground not gained or gained , depending on whether the free kick is awarded outside or inside the 22.

The OP concerns a fk 'awarded outside' , but then voluntarily taken inside before its actually kicked, so I'm seeing 19.1.(b) as more relevant. " causes the ball to be put into own 22"

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
21.8 says otherwise.

this is true but I have always seen it as an anomoly:

not back 10 at lineout, PK
not back 10 at PK, PK
not back 5 at scrum, PK
not behind last feet at ruck, PK

but not back 10 at FK? Another FK.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
19.1. j & k exist to differentiate between ground not gained or gained , depending on whether the free kick is awarded outside or inside the 22.
The OP concerns a fk 'awarded outside' , but then voluntarily taken inside before its actually kicked, so I'm seeing 19.1.(b) as more relevant. " causes the ball to be put into own 22"

EXACTLY - it depends where the FK is awarded, not where it is taken from. If it is taken outside, but passed immediately back into the 22, thus being another passage of play, 19.1(b) is completely relevant. If it is kicked directly into touch, then it only depends on where the FK was awarded, not from where it was kicked.