Front Row Angles At Scrums

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I've been a good boy and have been reading the actual lawbook again (not just my summary notes) to clarify the scrum laws.

Can anyone please tell me where it specifically says the FRs are meant to push straight? :chin:

I can see where it says that they must form up straight, but unless I'm missing something I can't see where it says they must continue to push straight ie towards the goal line once the scrum starts, which is a bit of a bugger, because I always assumed it was there. :redface:

I can see where it says the Flankers can't "widen their angle" but not the relevant bit for the FRs. There are a handful of laws that could be bent to make it fit, but is there anything specific I'm missing?

I like specifics, because "interpretation" usually leads to disagreements.

Last edited:

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
How about:
[LAWS]
20.8 (g) Twisting, dipping or collapsing. Front row players must not twist or lower their bodies, or pull opponents, or do anything that is likely to collapse the scrum, either when the ball is being thrown in or afterwards.[/LAWS]

nothing specifically about angles but "twisting" presumably covers it.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
There isn't any specific requirement to "push straight" and 20,8 would be the place for it.

However, "straight" needs to be defined as along the long axis of the scrum otherwise it would be used to prevent wheeling.