Fullback throws ball into touch to save a try. Can you award penalty try?

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
No "hard and fasts" for me here. I would expect to exercise contextual judgement considering a whole host of factors, type of game, score, the score at the time, the spirit of the game etc

I confess that my starting point from the original post would have been "looks like a probable try has been averted by foul play - PT" and to feel inclined to a YC...... But i could go with a sympathetic explanation plus PT, just a PT, PT with bollocking, or PT + YC depending on context.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
may have been once upon a time but now is as true as tunc utique ingrediamur in rimam, et irritum facias matris retro[/.

Board rubber flying towards your ear Dickie E major.

My old classics tutor will be rolling on his grave - with laughter.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
the throw into touch was deliberate.

I don't buy the notion that an U16 doesn't know that this is illegal -- I think it far more likely he was feigning ignorance in the hope of persuading the ref out of the YC that he was expecting

Really?
I've had players in games equal to your L8 & L10 not know the whole of that law i.e. a player who is isolated and tackled near the touch line reach out and ground (place) the ball in touch believing that all he has done is concede a line-out. I've had other senior players appeal that "he can't deliberately run the ball into touch sir".
I've had U16 players appeal that if numbers are uneven at the line-out, I MUST award a FK to their team and the opposition don't get an opportunity to adjust numbers because "our coach said that's the law".

I don't think you can assume that by the time they are U16s they know all of the basic laws.
My local club's U18s team had 6 RL converts playing their first year of rugby this year and after just 4 games, one lad was selected for NSW Country which was quite astounding. His law knowledge was four fifths of f#%! all but man he could tackle and score tries.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I did not claim it was cynical. I merely expresed the view that it is an offence with a PK as a sanction, which cannot be excused just because the player apparently did not know the law.
I accept your recollection of events. However, the record showds that when The Fat wrote:

Is it cynical play if a player obviously doesn't know that he has done something wrong?
you quoted that phrase, and commented (apparently regarding it):

"Ignorantia juris neminem excusat" (Ignorance of the law is no excuse.)

In context, I inaccurately read this as you countering The Fat's suggestion with one of your own - to whit, it is still cynical, even if he had no idea it was illegal. I'm not entirely sure how else I could have read your post #16, but in light of your latest on the subject I clearly got the wrong end of your stick. I apologise.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I I clearly got the wrong end of your stick. I apologise.

You forgot the sarc mark. At least, I hope you forgot the sarc mark.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Board rubber flying towards your ear Dickie E major.

My old classics tutor will be rolling on his grave - with laughter.

Fair cop, ST. I thought everyone would be equally impressed by my use of Latin

Imitari quam invidere

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Fair cop, ST. I thought everyone would be equally impressed by my use of Latin
I think you may have missed a trick by not looking up the words in the "Latin"?

rima, rimae N F crack, narrow cleft; (sometimes rude);