Fumbled over his own dead ball line?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A gentle introduction to the season as i reffed a game this weekend where some players questioned my decision on the following.
attacking team kicked the ball into the in goal area. the defending full back had to turn round and he ran back and (facing back towards his own dead ball line ) he made a pigs ear of trying to pick up the ball. he ended up knocking the ball twice backwards so that it rolled over the dead ball line.
Now, i must have hesitated for a second as he turned to me and said 'i touched that down Sir.'
The attackers claimed quoting about 'But you cant knock the ball dead ,Sir'

i decided that it had been kicked into the in goal by the attackers so a 22 d o was the correct restart.
I have no idea what the full back was trying to do but he did not ground the ball. i am sure his knocking the ball dead was not intentional.

having since read law 22.11, i am not sure if this specific situation is covered by the laws,
it provoked a bit of post match discussion anyway.

Who was right ?
5 m attacking scrum or 22 d o ?

Last edited:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
A gentle introduction to the season as i reffed a game this weekend where some players questioned my decision on the following.
attacking team kicked the ball into the in goal area. the defending full back had to turn round and he ran back and (facing back towards his own dead ball line ) he made a pigs ear of trying to pick up the ball. he ended up knocking the ball twice backwards so that it rolled over the dead ball line.
Now, i must have hesitated for a second as he turned to me and said 'i touched that down Sir.'
The attackers claimed quoting about 'But you cant knock the ball dead ,Sir'

i decided that it had been kicked into the in goal by the attackers so a 22 d o was the correct restart.
I have no idea what the full back was trying to do but he did not ground the ball. i am sure his knocking the ball dead was not intentional.

having since read law 22.11, i am not sure if this specific situation is covered by the laws,
it provoked a bit of post match discussion anyway.

Who was right ?
5 m attacking scrum or 22 d o ?
The bolded bit is the key. If the attacking team put it there and it goes dead then it is a DO 22m. The other key is that he knocked it back unintentionally. Had it been intentional then it would be a PK to attackers 5m out in line with where he hit it dead.

You were right.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As above. 22do.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
ditto to #2

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Well done on your logic, and correctness of decision in the heat of battle.

I'd expect most attackers to claim the same, irrespective of whether it was deliberate or not.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
If his handling was crap as suggested then 22do is correct call.

If he intentionally did it then PK+/-YC or PT+YC depending on game situation.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If his handling was crap as suggested then 22do is correct call.

If he intentionally did it then PK+/-YC or PT+YC depending on game situation.

Just for giggles:
Law reference?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Just for giggles:
Law reference?

10.2 Unfair play

(a) Intentionally Offending. A player must not intentionally infringe any Law of the Game, or play unfairly. The player who intentionally offends must be either admonished, or cautioned that a send off will result if the offence or a similar offence is committed, or sent off.

Sanction: Penalty kick

A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored. A player who prevents a try being scored through foul play must either be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.

(b) Time-wasting. A player must not intentionally waste time.

Sanction: Free Kick

(c) Throwing into touch. A player must not intentionally knock, place, push or throw the ball with his arm or hand into touch, touch-in-goal, or over the dead ball line.

Sanction: Penalty kick on the 15-metre line if the offence is between the 15-metre line and the touchline, or, at the place of infringement if the offence occured elsewhere in the field of play, or, 5 metres from the goal line and at least 15 metres from the touchline if the infringement occured in in-goal.

A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Ah. That's the fella. Couldn't find 10.2.c

Thanks