Gale Force Winds

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
The wind was so bad yesterday it was at times difficult to stand upright.

In my pre match chat I said that I wasn't going to be particularly looking out for "Not Straights", but to make sure they didn't take the "P". It all worked out very well, no worries from anyone, no hassle, no calls.....

Does his maturity and common sense thing come in time?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If they are daft enough to throw to the back in such conditions, they take the payback.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
On windy days i also add "We don't care how it gets there, but its got to end up in the middle of the line out".

Seems to work.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I always say if it goes over the front two in the middle it's play on. Same as a pass when the wind gets it and we get it a lot up here

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
On windy days i also add "We don't care how it gets there, but its got to end up in the middle of the line out".

Seems to work.

I always say if it goes over the front two in the middle it's play on. Same as a pass when the wind gets it and we get it a lot up here
I'm with Blackberry. ctrainor's version gives a permanent advantage to one team, and the other ream is not allowed to compensate for the wind by throwing to the side of the front men.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Advantage to one team for one half and reversed for second half. Smart teams will learn how to play it!
How can you judge the middle of the line out? Is it 5M or 15M.
There is no real advantage to anyone on a really windy day.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My game was played in gale - no rain - and we had nearly 100pts!!!!

Some great handling produced a very entertaining 24-72 win for the away team.

RL game on the adjacent pitch abandoned after 1 hour. Ref had gone when we'd finished so I never did find out why. I don't think he had as good a day as I did.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Advantage to one team for one half and reversed for second half. Smart teams will learn how to play it!
How can you judge the middle of the line out? Is it 5M or 15M.
There is no real advantage to anyone on a really windy day.
What i am saying is that when the ball comes down and reaches the jumper it should be in the middle, but to get it there you can bend it like Beckham against the wind

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I had a 22m restart on Saturday that went straight into touch.

I asked the non offending skipper which option he wanted and he said "what are they?". I started to list them but not in the order in the book ie

[LAWS]•To have another drop-out, or
•To have a scrum at the centre of the 22-metre line, and they throw in the ball, or
•To accept the kick. If they accept the kick, the throw-in is on the 22-metre line.[/LAWS]

but as kick again, lineout on 22..... before I got to scrum he said "lineout" and all jogged off towards touchline. I blew a merry peep and said "I haven't finished....or scrum on 22". He then said "Oh in that case - scrum". Other Captain then questions why I allow him to change his mind. I told other Captain to go away and we all laughed.

Would you deal with it differently?

This was a friendly albeit a decent level. 2nd teams of National 2&3 sides.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
seems fair and reasonable tome .

we can argue that as a skipper he rea;l;y shoudl know the options, but on the basis that he didn;t know (presumably!) then you could hardly expect him top provide one, so aquiescing to his request to l;ist them uis sensible.

having decided to do that it makes sense to ensure he is fully aware of his options.

The oppo skipper was just being a pillock, as I am sure he would like to be treated the same way! You shoud have told him to go away and suggest to his kicker that he doesn't kick directly to touch again and the issue will never arise!

didds

didds

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fantastic decision...if you can make them laugh - they are with you all the way! I think too many refs I have seen at my lowly level are schoolmasters and terribly precious about it all....

As long as they are laughing WITH you.......