Games, goals and reviews

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I quick like the idea of having a "where are you this weekend" but actually following it up with a quick review of the game that won't get lost in the drivel of inane comments.

I'll get the ball rolling:

I'm at UC Los Angeles for UCLA v Cal Berkley

Expectations: I know that UCLA will be keen to not roll over to the bears so I'm expecting a pretty hotly contested game throughout.

Working on: scrums and tackle offence versus materiality.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
ucla was very slow to roll and was confused as to exactly where the last foot was a few weeks ago. some of that was due to byu's incessant pressure. have fun but don't expect too much mate. good idea on the thread!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm at UC Los Angeles for UCLA v Cal Berkley

Expectations: I know that UCLA will be keen to not roll over to the bears so I'm expecting a pretty hotly contested game throughout.

Working on: scrums and tackle offence versus materiality.

UCLA 22 Cal 75

Worked hard on scrums and tackle and got some great results out of both. Scrum was easy to get the props working well and keeping their angles constant. One PK for lifting in the front row against Cal and two against UCLA for their second row disintegrating when the pressure came on.

Tackle was very clean so I worked on gate entry when the gate is long and thin, 1 penalty against Cal for stacking up the side to deny UCLA the ball where the player came in close but not through the gate and the rest I managed to manage players out of. Couple of ball on the ground situation where no tackle occurred so recongnised better that there's no onus on gate entry.

UCLA lots of penalties for offside from the rucks in the first half and subsequent YC for offside player going into maul and lifting legs of Cal player collapsing the maul 5m from goal line.

All in all a good game and both coaches happy.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I didnt' help you much with UCLA. byu was tooling them so bad I relaxed my standards to try and keep the byu score under 100. had a chat with the captain after and told him I was letting things slide but he should tighten it up. good guys but not good at rugby.

on another note stu...you will be glad to know that the old scoring reports are going by the wayside...they are finally learning...richard was at our agm...some other good scrum trials are going on. I hope it goes through...I can try and get the vid...

BurritoKing

Referees in America
Post Likes
Just a quick question (because I have plenty of issues with the scrum), why did you penalize the 2nd row for disintegrating when the pressure came on? And what lead you to that decision?