General Kicking

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Ricard,

There are lots of areas like this in the law, just like the hand off, until it was finally put into law this year.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Richard

You suggested that the doesn't say you can kick the ball forward.

It doesn't need to. If it wasn't allowed it would be forbidden (in the same way that throwing forward is).

Because it isn't forbidden then it must be legal. The exceptions are covered as unsporting behaviour.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It doesn't need to. If it wasn't allowed it would be forbidden (in the same way that throwing forward is).

Because it isn't forbidden then it must be legal. The exceptions are covered as unsporting behaviour.

I tend to agree but was pooh-poohed in another thread for this sort of thinking.

OB said "If the laws were that good, then that approach would be fine. But they aren't.

We have:
(1) Technically illegal but accepted practice:
(a) throwing the ball forward for a kick
(b) scrum half picking the ball out of a clearly won ruck

(2) Not specifically outlawed, but not allowed
(a) spitting at an opponent
(b) yanking an opponent's pony tail"

This site is excellent for gaining an appreciation of the differing attitude that refs have. I'm not suggesting one is right and the other wrong. It's a tricky job and you should all be commended for the thought and consideration you give to the game (except Andy Scott)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the discussion on whether, in the Laws, we are really allowed to kick it is rather arcane.

but the discussions about

(a) player loses the ball forward and it happens to hit his toe before it hits the ground..

(b) player loses the ball forward but before it hits the ground he cleverly manages to poke a toe at it...

Are good --

Personally I would call a knock-on for both (a) and (b).
but many here would class (b) as a kick (and indeed a clever and skilled recovery by the player). Some might even allow (a)

That's an interesting inconsistency between refs

I'll run a poll