Genge vs Sexton round 1

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anybody have a video of the incident with the elbow and the discussion with the referee that followed?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not one that shows what actually happened (just the few seconds that looks dodgy but doesn't show the before and after contexts)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Shame. Seems odd that Genge apparently admitted using the elbow to the head but the referee does not card him. I was wondering what the reasoning was.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's discussed at the beginning of the good, the bad, the rugby podcast (Ellis is a co presenter) and he describes it as your normal, being held in to the ruck, swinging arms to get out / up, accidentally caught him shenanigans) and he talks about being tried by 4s of video.

Same as the 'not clapping' at the end of the Wales game (clip circulated didn't show before or after when he was).

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
From 6:50 on video clock.

Play goes away to right. Genge has Sexton pinned to ground in front of the posts nearer LH post as you look at them.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
From 6:50 on video clock.

Play goes away to right. Genge has Sexton pinned to ground in front of the posts nearer LH post as you look at them.

Depends which way you look at it....Some might say, Sexton is holding Genge on the ground and stopping him from getting up?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Depends which way you look at it....Some might say, Sexton is holding Genge on the ground and stopping him from getting up?

That's the claim, I've seen enough silly incidents like that to believe him - doesn't mean he escapes sanction if he catches him in the head mind, always the retaliator that gets the worst sanction - but probably two to tango

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agree coud be either player doing the holding but there seems to be a case to answer. Has it been confirmed that Genge admited to elbowing Sexton to the face?

still done and dusted now.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Poor little whiter than white jonny. You can see he already has Itoje's head guard in his hand so extremely probable that he is holding Genge in/down. Not to say that is correct but it's almost like asking the Mealamu about Grewcock biting him.

But interesting when you watch that through and observe the flying start and stolen yard by green 9 it also inhibited Jamies George's pass to enable a clear overlap and a 2v1 walk in. In line with all the other claims for them his weekend why no penalty try?

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Poor little whiter than white jonny. You can see he already has Itoje's head guard in his hand so extremely probable that he is holding Genge in/down. Not to say that is correct but it's almost like asking the Mealamu about Grewcock biting him.

But interesting when you watch that through and observe the flying start and stolen yard by green 9 it also inhibited Jamies George's pass to enable a clear overlap and a 2v1 walk in. In line with all the other claims for them his weekend why no penalty try?

Which he got a YC for.

England wouldn't have needed a PT if Ben Youngs could fall over the line without dropping it.

Stander may have got in to dislodge it (couldn't really see) but still a piss poor finish. Bierne was still first on the dropped/dislodged ball too.

Young's and May's tries just papered over the cracks of an abysmal performance and tournament (the last minute victory over the French notwithstanding) - 5th and a negative points difference and that's with the Italians as opponents and the two ties as above.

Last edited:

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I didn't realise that if you gave a yellow card you couldn't give a PT ;)

To me it was the the thought that people often look only at the bit that interests them, a forensic examination of every breakdown could bring many more offences to light but a lot of the stuff that doesn't make it to the highlight reel doesn't get scrutiny.

But yes England's use of the ball, decision making and distribution were shocking and has been for a while. I wonder about the forthcoming shake up; a minor tremor or a 6+ on the Richter scale.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I didn't realise that if you gave a yellow card you couldn't give a PT ;)

I appreciate the smiley but all I meant was that if PT did enter MR's head it didn't stay there very long.

Perhaps the fact Jamie George had the ball was a consideration :biggrin:

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Against erm........Italy. :biggrin:

I think you deliberately miss the point, Jamie George put the long pass to Tuilagi on the nose, some others can do it, some can do it well under pressure and may have even tried it, Cipriani or Russell for instance, but with the offside line being broached the viability of the option is reduced by illegal play. If the pass had been sent and intercepted or knocked on would you have awarded a PT?

I fully admit to being a JG fan and make no bones about posting these but there are many vids where he has performed against opponents other than erm.....Italy. ;)

Compilation

Grubber kicks, great hands, direct running at pace, beating international wingers for pace, and its not just me: