Glaws v Bath

dickell

Post Likes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26941254
Sounds tasty.....

Anyone watch it? Glaws down to 11!

Look forward to video emerging

There was a lot of player indiscipline. For much of the game Wigglesworth could have been accused (and was by the commentators) of being whistle-happy, but as even they admitted, in the last 10-15 minutes when a lot of big decisions had to be made he was superb. Big questions about Glaws front row subs and uncontested scrums.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just watched it. There's whistle happy, and there is no option. Players cheated continually, couldn't control their behaviour and he didn't have many other options. No sympathy with either side, especially Gloucester

Biropen

Post Likes
Bath v Gloucester

What a wonderful advertisement for our Game!!!!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Re: Bath v Gloucester

I can detect the sarcasm in your writing from the other side of the Globe, even without the sarcasm smiley

What it was, was a bloody disgrace to the game. The RFU should fine both Clubs heavily, and deduct competition points for bringing game into disrepute.

Biropen

Post Likes
Re: Bath v Gloucester

I can detect the sarcasm in your writing from the other side of the Globe, even without the sarcasm smiley

What it was, was a bloody disgrace to the game. The RFU should fine both Clubs heavily, and deduct competition points for bringing game into disrepute.

Sorry Ian> Fairly new to the site so could not find the Sarcasm smiley.

I am with you without question, but fear that the RFU will try and forget the whole episode.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At the next lineout following the YC for taking the jumper in the air by charging into a maul before he got back to the ground, Gloucester did it again and took the jumper in the air in the very same fashion. Could've been another YC there, am I wrong?

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Nope, and they were warned as well.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
the highlights seem to show a bath player throwing a huge punch at the start of the silliness at the end. odds on a citing?

JJ10

Referees in England
Post Likes
The "highlights" are a little unrepresentative - I missed the full 80 so it would be interesting to see if Wigglesworth couldf have mitigated anything that came later. He seemed to get the big calls though (both reds, pen try, the second yellow at the line out) spot on.

Unhelpful comments from Melville at the end of the game too - although again having not seen the full 80 maybe he had a point? He didnt have any argument with the reds.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In about 10 to 15 mins, this link will work. It starts just before the lineout and ends after the restart.

Blue Smartie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
On first viewing of the first Bath try I thought that the ball carrier was barely hanging on and not bound to the players in front of him.

Maybe just add to the list of gripes about mauls...

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
From what I saw of the highlights on ITV4 there are no issues with the cards.

This week's "The Rugby Paper" has some fairly scathing comments about player discipline.

IMO I believe the Citing Commissioner will have some more fines/bans to hand down before the end of the season.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I think I heard the AR make the call for the line out YC

Jonny May or Tindall could have walked for that event, but Tindall knew exactly what he was doing when he was on the floor

I didn't see the match, just the highlights ....but on the aviva highlights Flatman agrees wigglesworth got all decision correct but offered something like ' ref kept sending players away rather than letting them talk at him'

Dear David,

having various players chuntering in your ear over their one-eye personal agenda IS an awful distraction, don't excuse it, don't expect it, we don't want it ..... If you think they should, then you try being in the middle ............if your balls are big enough you'll take up this challenge.

Will be an interesting few days re: dismissals and citings

Well done ref.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Oh, & it was also suggested that glouc were being 'cute' by claiming uncontested scrums despite having a Front row replacement on the bench

Flagman said, the replacement hadn't played in that position for two years, so it wouldn't be safe !

Really? If he was STE two years ago, why isn'the STE now we don't have the HIT anymore?

Uncontested at this level isn't a good look. What with that and the mass brawl it looked like a RL match ! :) :) :)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Oh, & it was also suggested that glouc were being 'cute' by claiming uncontested scrums despite having a Front row replacement on the bench

Flagman said, the replacement hadn't played in that position for two years, so it wouldn't be safe !

Really? If he was STE two years ago, why isn'the STE now we don't have the HIT anymore?

Uncontested at this level isn't a good look. What with that and the mass brawl it looked like a RL match ! :) :) :)

What was the makeup of the bench?

Was he over and above the minimum requirement for 5 or 6 STE players according to Law 3.5?
NOTE: Are RFU are using Law 3.14 - 22/23 players, 6 STE?

If he has been playing another position, say, Openside Flanker (where he could have taken off weight and have trained and conditioned for those skills) and had not played or trained as a front rower for two years, then I'm not sure I would allow him to play even if he and his team wanted to, particularly since he will not have trained with the new engagement procedures so he would fail the "experience" requirement of Law 3.5 (b).

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I took my Dutch club on trip a couple of years ago, we went to Brizzle. Our top flight game was Bath v Glaws.

As we were taking our seats: probably 2 mins into the game: 2 yellows. Jim Hamilton and Ryan Caldwell. Not being so nice to eachother.

Just saying ;-)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Hamilton?

One of my favorite players. Proper old fashioned raw boned forward. If all the Scottish players were like him...

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Can anyone throw light on this,

are players named as position specific replacements, or merely named as front row replacements which presumably covers all front row positions? .....ie... can a THP insist he's not STE as a LHP ?