glen jackson is a damn good referee

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I thought he had a very good match yesterday and hope to see him wrestle away more from the old, stale, boring guard. gj was consistent, I could figure out his standard very easily and was very good with the flow of the match. the feeds at the scrum are another issue and I think the top refs are missing the boat there but I think that must be coming from the top down. good young referee and good on him for his hard work.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
He was pretty handy as a player too according to Wikipedia.

See HERE

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Although I think he's a good referee, I thought because of his fast tracking into this level that his inexperience showed a few times.

I thought his accuracy at the breakdown wasn't so good in stages and so I doubted his consistency. There were a few times PKs for the 2nd or 3rd offence, which was clear and obvious, but he'd missed the clear and obvious ones prior to it (often PK was still to the correct side so no harm done) and a couple that looked a 'gotcha'. I thought his scrums were weakest of all, but as he's a back I can understand he, like many of us, see it as a dark art and struggle to figure out who's to blame for what!

I found when I've seen him he seems to have one or 2 law errors each game (and ones you wouldn't expect). The one in the Ireland game was that he called the lineout over and called the backline up while the ball was in the air and looked to be going long but the back pod (which back up in field) took it well inside the 15m. :shrug:. By the time the ball came off the top the Ireland backline was well up.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Wow - I didn't expect it would take 5 days for it to be raised.

About what in particular? The last pass or the grounding?

I have Eno issue with the grounding as GJ was in the best position to see the line and ball.

When I first saw it live and the replay from behind I thought forward pass! No doubt. Then I saw the overhead replays...and changed my mind that it was not clear and obvious forward and was probably flat. What made it look forward was Phibbs going backwards after he passes and foley going forward and reaching back to receive the past.
From these 2 pictures the point where Phibbs releases the ball is all but parallel to where foley grabs it.
View attachment 3094
View attachment 3095

In the end I could not say it was C and O forward and I guess neither could the TMO (if he said anything at all they GJ could understand)

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I might be reading it wrong Menace, but I wasn't convinced ( by his body language) that GJ didnt disagree with the TMO call ?!?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Perhaps he didn't but he did ask the question 'any reason I can't award the try', and the TMO could not find a C and O reason. The alleged forward pass was not clear and obvious (if you look at the 2 frames I posted now that I have it sorted!). As I see it the ass of the green player in picture 2 is about where Phibbs released the ball and that is all but parallel with where foley is about to receive the pass. That's not c and o forward a TMO is going to call.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Perhaps he didn't but he did ask the question 'any reason I can't award the try', and the TMO could not find a C and O reason. The alleged forward pass was not clear and obvious (if you look at the 2 frames I posted now that I have it sorted!). As I see it the ass of the green player in picture 2 is about where Phibbs released the ball and that is all but parallel with where foley is about to receive the pass. That's not c and o forward a TMO is going to call.
I agree, that was his initial Q? So he was minded to award , but I suspect once he'd seen the replays then he could've been wishing he'd worded his referral differently ..... Hey, we'll never know, interesting though.

FWIW I'm cool with the try decision.

PS... Takes a few days for the clips to appear! Least on you tube it does .

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Menace ,
Can you post the frame that shows the ball leaving Phipps hands, I think the one you have posted might be before that split second.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry , no, I've deleted the game now. But I think you'll find that the big white blob is the ball just leaving the hands. I wanted to make sure of that when I posted it.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agree with the thread title. But after yesterday it is clear that he must not be pushed too quickly. He has a very good reputation among watchers etc that will be undermined if he is allowed to flounder again. He needs support not chucking in at the deep end with poor support from his assistants.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree with the thread title. But after yesterday it is clear that he must not be pushed too quickly. He has a very good reputation among watchers etc that will be undermined if he is allowed to flounder again. He needs support not chucking in at the deep end with poor support from his assistants.

Yes I totally agree. He is not of the required standard yet.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

why? what happened?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Recent displays, especially at scrum time suggest he is being push too far too quickly. That's a shame. Let him develop properly.