Gloucester v Saracens

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Owen Farrell “fully accepts he needs to change” his tackle technique after he was named as England captain for the Six Nations despite his three-week suspension. In a further development which lays bare the extent to which a disciplinary loophole has been exploited, it is also understood Farrell is due to play a full part in England’s training camp next week despite his “availability” for a club fixture.

This makes a total mockery of the whole disciplinary process.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Owen Farrell “fully accepts he needs to change” his tackle technique after he was named as England captain for the Six Nations despite his three-week suspension. In a further development which lays bare the extent to which a disciplinary loophole has been exploited, it is also understood Farrell is due to play a full part in England’s training camp next week despite his “availability” for a club fixture.

“fully accepts he needs to change” - He'll be 32 in May! :ROFLMAO:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

shrug.
Don't like the process - Change the process.

It's evident that any loopholes etc will be used. Its hardly a surprise.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
shrug.
Don't like the process - Change the process.

It's evident that any loopholes etc will be used. Its hardly a surprise.
Yes, I'm not bashing England for taking advantage of the loophole. It's the disciplinary panel that should have been explicit about what should happen in these circumstances, rather than leaving it murky like this. After all, it was hardly unexpected that OF would get picked for England and be unavailable for his club for all practical purposes on the 3rd match of his suspension, as he'd be part of the national training camp.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Yes, I'm not bashing England for taking advantage of the loophole. It's the disciplinary panel that should have been explicit about what should happen in these circumstances, rather than leaving it murky like this. After all, it was hardly unexpected that OF would get picked for England and be unavailable for his club for all practical purposes on the 3rd match of his suspension, as he'd be part of the national training camp.

I feel it was the only decent thing to do from the perspective of the disciplinary panel... England need every bit of help they can get!!! ;) 🤣

We approach yet another 6N with me feeling that we have equal odds of finishing anywhere from 1st to 5th. :rolleyes:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Surely World Rugby can step in and ensure the integrity of the game!
YMBFK

They are concerned with The Product. If they can squint, and kinda sorta make integrity fit in with The Product, job's a good 'un. Don't kid on it's otherwise. That's charmingly naive. In large parts of the States, that earns a "bless your heart"

Last edited:

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
YMBFK

They are concerned with The Product. If they can squint, and kinda sorta make integrity fit in with The Product, job's a good 'un. Don't kind on it's otherwise. That's charmingly naive. In large parts of the States, that earns a "bless your heart"
Got the response I was expecting

Really says something about those that manage our game

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Got the response I was expecting

Really says something about those that manage our game
I was thinking about this quite a bit over the last year because...y'know.

I am becoming more and more convinced the Game is run at the Community level. County level in England, and its equivalent in other countries. Above that, it's the business of the game that is being run. The actual spirit of the game, and I think most of what we think about and why we participate, is all handled at the lower level, and most of the Administrators share our values.

Above that? Well, there may be some good eggs. But their primary concern is money, and the product, and producing winning WC and tournament teams. They have a narrow 4 year horizon. Are there some good administrators looking beyond that? Maybe. But there's not a lot that I can name off the top of my head.

Take a look at RA. The youth pipeline to International is gash. It's a really narrow base. Instead of spending money on the base, what's huge strategic initiative (and yes, we've seen in before)? Look at poaching from NRL.

It's disheartening. If you deal with anyone at HQ, either RA or WR, you're left wondering WTAF they actually have to do with rugby. I'm still in it because, y'know, 40+ years sweat equity. But the more and more exposure I see of what the top level does, the more I wonder what I've actually given my time, and effort, to. Because it certainly isn't the game I thought it was.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Interesting points Simon - thank you.
Id add to that though that the existing dichotomy is that the LAWS are driven by that business end. Every law change/trial is driven by perceived issues in the pro game. the community game ends up inheriting the new/changed laws even though they may not be pertinent to the community game.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I don't know the circumstances and haven't seen the incident but it appears Slade has had his RC rescinded and will be free to play in the 6N... :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think we should have One set of laws, but separate and public GMGs for the elite and amateur games

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think we should have One set of laws, but separate and public GMGs for the elite and amateur games
I dont have an issue with that in itself - though I see that all that would do is end up with more confusion.
Though I dont have a better idea being fair CR :)

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
another one suggesting that a 20min replacement would be fairer ?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Looks like the right decision - I watched it live and thought it was a bit harsh at the time. It got a million replays from the local TV hosts while strangely acts of foul play by the Bulls didn't 🤷‍♀️

They must have brought in a French TV producer! ;)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Should have sent the 15 off for wearing a scrum hat :mad:

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Looks like the right decision - I watched it live and thought it was a bit harsh at the time. It got a million replays from the local TV hosts while strangely acts of foul play by the Bulls didn't 🤷‍♀️

You can justify either a yellow or a red for that.
Yellow because of the dynamic movement by ball carrier before tackle and the start at shoulder.
Red because he got him round the neck and didn't release.

Once again, the 20 minute red makes so much more sense as a better balance for the game between punishment and spectacle

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

I'm surprised that people are surprised that OF appears to be a protected player.

The body of evidence on his bad tackling is overwhelming

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
whatever.

They make it up as they go along.