Going Up A Level

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've got a match on Saturday. It's at a club I have done quite a few times before. A bit of history as first time I was there (6th ever match) I gave 2 red cards. Been back a good few times and always had a lovely and warm welcome. Normally I do the third team. Seems that Saturday I have been entrusted to do the seconds. So, I won't know them, but it is going up a level which is great news for me.

Anything I should be especially aware of, or manage differently. Will they be better at cheating?

Any advice, much appreciated.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I've got a match on Saturday. It's at a club I have done quite a few times before. A bit of history as first time I was there (6th ever match) I gave 2 red cards. Been back a good few times and always had a lovely and warm welcome. Normally I do the third team. Seems that Saturday I have been entrusted to do the seconds. So, I won't know them, but it is going up a level which is great news for me.

Anything I should be especially aware of, or manage differently. Will they be better at cheating?

Any advice, much appreciated.

Relax and referee the match in front of you.

The Devon appointments team think you are good enough so get on and do it.

Things will happy quicker, less errors, more pattern to the play, more physical, and more open match. Players will respond to your preventative calls if you use colour, number and required action.

Don't be negative and just think they will cheat more.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
3rd team to 2nd team IME.

Faster, more physical, more lippy, less forgiving, better skills, more compliant.

Good luck.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think Simon advice is great, and the best sentence is.. "Referee the match in front of you"
not the match you were expecting

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think Simon advice is great, and the best sentence is.. "Referee the match in front of you"
not the match you were expecting

If he could just say it in a Yoda voice!

Perhaps ST is Yoda and OB is really Obi-wan Kenobi?? PHil E = Chewbacca? :pepper:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If he could just say it in a Yoda voice!

Perhaps ST is Yoda and OB is really Obi-wan Kenobi?? PHil E = Chewbacca? :pepper:

Funny you should say that as both at work and in the Society Committee nickname Yoda I am...........

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Funnily enough Taffy, you might find it easier in some ways. I don't know what level it is, you don't say, but a decent L9/10 where players at least try to stay on their feet at the breakdown can be a far more straightforward proposition to referee that a L11/12.

Ronald

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
As somebody that also went up to seconds and u/21's this year, I understand how you feel. I agree with all the comments above, the game will certainly be quicker, and the players usually respond better to management. I also found it almost "easier" to handle, as the players seem to play more structured, so it's easier to spot their intentions at a ruck, and you can adjust your positioning accordingly.
My first second team, first league game was between the 2 university sides here in Johannesburg, and I very quickly learnt that you don't have time to get too close to the action...at the 1st ruck I went in to find the ball and manage, and when I turned the other way, the ball was at the outside centre! Quickly realised to stay a bit further away, otherwise I have no time to manage the off-side lines.
Enjoy and let us know how it went!

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
How did it go, Taffy?

Really well I felt. It was a quicker game, no doubt, but there were few issues. Probably some stuff on the floor I missed when tired in the last quarter, but initial feedback very positive. I want the first team games now..........interestingly I saw a first team ref this week lecture the players in a big huddle for what seemed ages. My pre match was brief and to the point. Less was definitely more. Few discipline issues though the match.