Goole v Hullesians

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
On my way up North in a few weeks to do Goole v Hullesians.

Anyone got any inside knowledge or tips?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Take a jacket, it'll be cold!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Whahey!!!!!!!!!!

Ding ding seconds out round 1.

No not really. L8 Yks 2. Goole bottom and looking like relegation candidates already (after promotion to yks 2 this year) after relegation the year before. Boing Boing. I did them pre-season at my club and they got beat by my club Yks 3.

Hullensians are middling Yks 2 side who went up about 3 yrs ago.

Goole - young backs who will get out-bullied by Hullensians and iffy scrum. Have some big young forwards who can run and support well on their day. Neither side dirty but will not be backward in coming forward if needed. Pitch flat and hard (usually) next to Ouse so can be windy. Food rubbish but good hosts.

Hullensians usually do a video of the match so ask for copy and we can all have a laugh/help you with any development points! :biggrin:

Also you can use my well paraphrased joke.

What's the difference between a woman from Goole/Hull and a Walrus? One's fat, got a moustache and smells of fish and the other one........................................ lives in the sea!!Ta da!!!:wow:

If you've done a Yorkshire game it won't be anything special however if it's your first be prepared for lot's of "dominating up front", leading with forearm/elbow (especially Hull) and robust tackling between waist and eyebrows. They will behave if you get topside of it. Crowd will be ok.

I have to take #2 son to a University open day otherwise I'd have popped up to see you. Good Luck (not that you'll need it)

Last edited:

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks LLP handy heads up. Assumed that the league influnce in tackling and leading with the forearm would be strong there. How do they normally react to getting pinged for it (that was fine you bloody soft shandy drinking wotsit or it's a fair cop guv) Shame you're not around would have been good to meet you.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Leading with forearm. It's not that bad and a word at down time with a player tending towards it usually works (assuming he hasn't broken someone's jaw). You may have to speak to the skipper(s) but I doubt it. Just ping high tackles as you would down South and they'll get the message - Peep PK "That's too high fella - below the shoulders please". They'll probably expect you to, given your shandy drinking tendancies. I wouldn't make a song and dance about it pre-match just sort it when/if it happens.

They are two easy teams to referee the real knob heads tend to be down in Yorkshire 5 - Level 11.

Last edited:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
I live in Sheffield so if you are staying somewhere on Friday night nearby I'd be up for going for a drink or two...

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
So Hullensians made it into Yorkshire 2 at last. I remember reffing their game at Morrtown to decide who would be promoted to Yorkshire 2 that year. Classic game of very hard fought rugby that was back and forth until the end, Moortown were up by 1 in the last minute but Hullensians were on the attack and were about 10m out from the Moortown goal line. Ruck had set, the ball was ready to come out and one of their subs (had literally just come on) run straight into the Moortown side and took a player out. Hullensians captain standing next to me just went Noooo and realised that they were going to be penalised and lose the chance of promotion.

As LLP said, they are a hard team but eminently fair.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Don't call them "Goolies".

Bungle

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Toby, they always seem to have a London exchange at Goole. I did it on a cold January day, pitch thawing nicely but soggy (its very near the river) and the only scenery can be described as the concrete mass that is the M62 bridge. However, if you like tennis for a warm up, its great!

I remember I got a good game out of it despite the near quagmire. Goole were pretty weak then and were on the way down. Typical yoyo team 8/9. Just make sure you get the assessor to explain in great detail about "material non-compliance" - there's always plenty of them in yorkie :biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Toby

This is shaping up to be a bottom of the table encounter. Goole, if they lose, will be well adrift whereas if they can fashion a win they'll drag Hullensians in with them.
Goole have not been getting hammered so it could be close!!!

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've been keeping the occasional eye on their results - looks like it could be a relegation decider in October!