Got there early!

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Sarries v Saints 00:39 Game Clock

Sarries 11 jumps laterally with high speed and takes out the Saints 15 who was looking to catch the ball.

Penalty Only "he got there too early" "he's just mistimed it" "It's in the landing spot" and again "he got there early" to which the Saints 10 suggest "real early:sneaky:"

He jumped into a player and struck him, elbow to face and with his knees drawn up,

PENALTY ONLY😖

It's simple, you jump laterally into a static player it is reckless, you do time.

Anything else is an apology for player welfare!

PS- Sarries 11 goes on to score 2 tries in the first half.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This it?

At first glance I could see why the ref thought it was just a penalty- both players jumping, fair contest etc. that Sarries 11 got slightly wrong, opposing players affecting sight lines, and so on. And the TJ was right there too.

But if you play it slowly the ball hits 11‘s back so he’s ahead of the ball. Could that be read that he was not in a realistic position to catch it - so if so you then assume it was enough to ”intentionally prevent an opponent from having the opportunity to play the ball, other than by competing for possession” as he was never competing, just getting in the way. Then you have foul play with a forearm to the face with force, etc. which jumpers always seem to get away with.

Was there any subsequent ref discussion?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I also thought this should have been a YC. I’m not overly happy with players jumping with a high knee, particularly if it prevents a fair contest. In this case it was dangerous play, a player not in position to win the ball recklessly impacting an opponent in the air.

He was a lucky boy to remain on the pitch.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I also thought this should have been a YC. I’m not overly happy with players jumping with a high knee, particularly if it prevents a fair contest. In this case it was dangerous play, a player not in position to win the ball recklessly impacting an opponent in the air.

He was a lucky boy to remain on the pitch.
Aussie Rules rugby rewards this technique. Jump earlier than your opponent, use his body as a springboard/support with your knee, get in to position for the catch and you basically get a freekick if you hold onto the ball.

1684133482218.png

In rugby union it's a clear card, have seen it normally called as such.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Even as a Sarries fan I am struggling to see how that wasn't a yellow card.