GPS watch

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've been trying to find a GPS/fitness watch that works well for reffing and would like some recommendations. I won't be using this watch for anything else as I don't run on my own and I won't be wearing this to practice. I've found lots of watches that work well for runners as you start and stop the watch when you start and end your run. This then gives you an average speed(or pace), time and heart rate. That's fine for running, but I'd prefer something that tracks my speed and distance over time and presents it afterwards like the miAdidas cell does. I really want something that will give me distance travelled, average speed, max speed, number of sprints, heart rate, distance for each of those sprints and speeds for them as well. I also want all of this preferably graphed or in table form on a desktop app (forget the phone, it's too small and a pain to use compared to my PC).

I currently have the miAdidas cell for my cleats, but I'll be changing to the new predators this upcoming season, and they no longer have a place to put it. As well, I have always had issues with battery life and syncing is a headache every time (I think I have like 4-5 games still on it cause it won't sync). I also don't like that there's no on/off button as I always end up with extra data from stuff like watching teams shake hands or walking to the changing rooms or my warmups, all of which I really don't want as I want purely match data. I've attached a couple pics of the way the data is presented from Adidas, and I'd like something similar in terms of information for me to look at.

View attachment 3129View attachment 3130

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I use a Garmin Forerunner.
I sync the data to Garmin Connect and from there to Strava.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've seen a few people with Suunto watches recently, they seem to rate them quite highly

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I've seen a few people with Suunto watches recently, they seem to rate them quite highly

PGMOT were all given Ambit Suunto 3 watches recently - they're ace and do everything requested by the OP.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It woukd be good if RFU either made such a similar gesture to all Society Referees, or at least all those on Development Squads at Group / Federation / Society level, or failing that secure an "at cost price" offer, on a three year leased payment scheme to Societies.

Last edited:

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
PGMOT were all given Ambit Suunto 3 watches recently - they're ace and do everything requested by the OP.

Hadn't originally looked at that one and didn't even know it existed. After having read up on it a bit, I'm pretty sure that's the one I'll be getting. Now time to shop around a bit for a decent price.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Good luck - they look terrific watches.

£250-£700 seems the going price depending on the specification.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It would be good if RFU either made such a similar gesture to all Society Referees........

Be careful Simon, such language might stick you in the insurgent pile ! Money for referees ????? Its all been spent on great looking branded stash for whatever project is flavour of this month :sarc:

Anyone own a Beenie hat lanyard & wristband set, or a rarely used 'pathway' fleece !!

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Good luck - they look terrific watches.

£250-£700 seems the going price depending on the specification.

I'm going to get the Sport model (aluminum, 9g lighter, no weather, no barometric altimeter and smaller battery) with the heart rate monitor. They retail for $450 w/ HRM ($550 for the peak w/HRM), but I know some people who work at stores that sell them so I'll be getting it on pro deal thankfully as $450 +15% tax (about £280 tax in) is definitely more than I'd be willing to pay. I'm not sure what kind of kit you get for £700, but I hope they give you everything that could possibly work with the watch.

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Do you have any idea which analytics they run during the match and what setup they use on their watches?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Do you have any idea which analytics they run during the match and what setup they use on their watches?

I just set it going on the normal running setting. It stores everything and you then upload it to your Movescount account. No idea what Alex does with the information.
I use it more for training to be honest, as it is an excellent way of ensuring that I continue to push myself, even if it's cold and wet, I've had a bad day at work and I can't be arsed.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
I just set it going on the normal running setting. It stores everything and you then upload it to your Movescount account. No idea what Alex does with the information.
I use it more for training to be honest, as it is an excellent way of ensuring that I continue to push myself, even if it's cold and wet, I've had a bad day at work and I can't be arsed.

So every time you come training with us... ;)

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I use a garmin forerunner and upload the data to strava

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
I use a garmin forerunner and upload the data to strava
Looking at purchasing a forerunner and wanted to check whether you can pause between halves. I am sure this about as basic a question as there is, but couldn't find the info in the specs.

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Dave, yes you can, I use a Garmin 410, the watch can be stopped and restarted as often as you want

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I now use the Scorsche Rythmn+ heart rate monitor (not a chest band - and much better than chest straps IMHO), and use my phone as a gps tracker. You can use runkeeper but I use iCardio or Wahoo.

Phone goes on belt strap, or on arm.

And for good reviews on all gps and fitness stuff - try: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
He does good indepth impartial reviews of most the kit out there.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I now use the Scorsche Rythmn+ heart rate monitor (not a chest band - and much better than chest straps IMHO), and use my phone as a gps tracker. You can use runkeeper but I use iCardio or Wahoo.

Phone goes on belt strap, or on arm.

you take your phone on to the pitch ??

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
you take your phone on to the pitch ??

Yes, on a "belt" along with the radio etc. Don't look at it the whole game. But could easily be on forearm, if you wanted to use it for something else.