GPS Watch

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Right, I've found out I'm getting a bursary from the University this year, which means I have a little bit of money to spend.

My 'birthday present' for the year is going to be a GPS watch - and I have been debating between these three:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Runn...TF8&qid=1422027435&sr=1-11&keywords=GPS+Watch

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Fore...22029191&sr=1-1&keywords=Garmin+Forerunner+10

and the Pebble.

My budget is sub £100 sadly :(

Does anyone have a preference for any of the three or any other sub £100 that are really good that I may have missed?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Here's a radical thought........why don't you spend the bursary on your education instead of your hobby?

Crazy I know!!!

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Here's a radical thought........why don't you spend the bursary on your education instead of your hobby?

Crazy I know!!!

Sorry Phil - I forgot I wasn't allowed to spend less than 5% of my bursary on my hobby. I didn't realise Lancaster University demanded to ask what I spent my money on.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sorry Phil - I forgot I wasn't allowed to spend less than 5% of my bursary on my hobby. I didn't realise Lancaster University demanded to ask what I spent my money on.

It's not your money....it's mine....I'm a taxpayer.......bloody students..........:tongue::wink::booty:

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
It's not your money....it's mine....I'm a taxpayer.......bloody students..........:tongue::wink::booty:

This doesn't come from taxpayer's funds ;)

Besides - University is investing in the future and those who wish to go should be encouraged to do so. In fact - on top of being a student, it is my job to do so, and one that I enjoy very much!

Simon Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Pebble is good, my Rugby timer app is free, too.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I'm waiting for the iWatch to come on the market before I buy a smart watch.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
But a fit bit. I use it. Steve Creighton gets my stats after the game. Happy coach equals less ear bashings off Steve T

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
But a fit bit. I use it. Steve Creighton gets my stats after the game. Happy coach equals less ear bashings off Steve T

Ben - when don't you get ear bashings off Steve T?

I've looked at the Fitbit - I don't like the fact it relies on a phone's GPS. I'm not carrying around my shiny new phone on a Rugby Pitch.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ben - when don't you get ear bashings off Steve T?

I've looked at the Fitbit - I don't like the fact it relies on a phone's GPS. I'm not carrying around my shiny new phone on a Rugby Pitch.

Why not? That's what a half decent gen-y/ gen-z would do? Call yourself a uni student! :rolleyes:

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Why not? That's what a half decent gen-y/ gen-z would do? Call yourself a uni student! :rolleyes:

No that's what a stupid gen-y/gen-z would do ;).

Plus my phone is bright yellow. It's bad enough when I wear my Pink Skins underneath my main kit when it gets to cold. Especially when I'm refereeing the ladies.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's bad enough when I wear my Pink Skins underneath my main kit when it gets to cold..

Hmmm...I think that was better left unsaid. It is now permanent on record statement of fact that can hurt you for the rest of your life.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It doesn't. Trust me. Steve C thinks it's genius. Pink underskin WombleRef? Really? All I can think of is strawberry Bon bons now

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
it's bad enough when i wear my pink skins underneath my main kit when it gets to cold.

8.9 on the Richter Scale - epicentre Alton in Hampshire.

Harumppphhhhh!!!!!!

Last edited:

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
And I will say does he want me to referee a game or be distracted by the fact it's blowing a gale, far too cold to be wearing shorts and pissing down with rain.

I have done it twice this season - on both occasions it was blowing a gale and snowing.

Ben - when I say skin's - I mean that Tour Shirt from a few years back that is long-sleeved. It's the only long-sleeved thing I have that I can wear under referee's gear.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
And I will say does he want me to referee a game or be distracted by the fact it's blowing a gale, far too cold to be wearing shorts and pissing down with rain.

Totally agree with you, too many people get too precious about the fact referees want to wear long sleeved under tops and gloves if its cold, its ok for them when they are stood on the side or assessing you from the side of the pitch or sat in the stands wearing multiple layers of warm kit , gloves and hat.

If i choose to wear a long sleeved top and gloves then so be it if it makes me able to concentrate on the rugby for the duration of the match and not be worried about not being able to feel my fingers hroughout the game thereby degrading the standard of my officiating, some traditionalist will be turning in there graves at that thought.

All I would say is yes they give us a whistle and make us the centre of attention but at times you do need to blend in a little bit and I would question pink as a colour choice!!

Get yourself down to Sports direct buddy - http://www.sportsdirect.com/mens/mens-base-layer - lots of reasonably priced undershirts here.

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Pink would be OK with a pink jersey ��

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Totally agree with you, too many people get too precious about the fact referees want to wear long sleeved under tops and gloves if its cold, its ok for them when they are stood on the side or assessing you from the side of the pitch or sat in the stands wearing multiple layers of warm kit , gloves and hat.

If i choose to wear a long sleeved top and gloves then so be it if it makes me able to concentrate on the rugby for the duration of the match and not be worried about not being able to feel my fingers hroughout the game thereby degrading the standard of my officiating, some traditionalist will be turning in there graves at that thought.

All I would say is yes they give us a whistle and make us the centre of attention but at times you do need to blend in a little bit and I would question pink as a colour choice!!

Get yourself down to Sports direct buddy - http://www.sportsdirect.com/mens/mens-base-layer - lots of reasonably priced undershirts here.

I know Pink isn't the best colour and on both occasions it was very much a last minute decision to do. If I had something more appropriate then I would of course wear it!

I will probably have to wait until Easter for them - the nearest Sports Direct is in Morecambe/Preston and both aren't cheap places to get to. I have an odd body shape so unless I know the brand I need to try things on.

Last edited: