Grounded Not grounded?

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Today; Crusaders vs Western Force and the Crusaders try 26 minutes in (perhaps someone can help with access to the clip?)

Grounded/Not grounded by the Force - seems to be getting a few people a bit hot under the collar!

I was watching the game and I know my view but thought I would throw it out there

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 22.22.20.jpg
Looks to me like Gold grounded it.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Looks to me like the gold player is trying to pick up the ball to make a clearance. It doesn't look at all to me like he his trying to ground the ball (or does so). The claim that he has grounded it is just a reaction to the Crusader player getting to the ball first.

I wonder how Gold would have felt had the referee just blown his whistle and ordered a red 5m scrum if there was no prospect of a red try?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Looks to me like the gold player is trying to pick up the ball to make a clearance. It doesn't look at all to me like he his trying to ground the ball (or does so). The claim that he has grounded it is just a reaction to the Crusader player getting to the ball first.

I wonder how Gold would have felt had the referee just blown his whistle and ordered a red 5m scrum if there was no prospect of a red try?

I thought the ball carrier grounded it, rather than the Gold 3 :shrug:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I thought the ball carrier grounded it, rather than the Gold 3 :shrug:

I think the ball carriers hand is always under the ball preventing a grounding. I also think that the ball carrier would be very surprised to learn he had grounded it, as he seems to be holding the ball up off the ground for the halfback to pick it up and clear it.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
.........that's why you don't try to mess around inside your own goal line.

Let's just delay any thoughts of a grounding to see how it plays out and see if I can get a better exit outcome, something better than a 5m scrum? The ref will never suspect i was trying to avoid grounding it.

Will defenders never learn!

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
TRY, not releasing by gold ball carrier, advantage played, Try awarded.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
.........and our old friend, the offside line. The ball is over the goal line, enter from wherever you like, the offside line no longer applies . Round the side, from around the back, from wherever you please!

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
IMO the Gold player is holding the ball in his hand in order to present it to his half back. Whilst it does rock from side to side in his hand I do not believe that the ball is grounded.

Ball over the gold line is playable so I would award the Try.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
surely when the ball is held "grounding" basically means a part of the ball touched a blade of grass?

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the photo in post #3 can be nothing but grounded

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That's a really bad decision -
1. by the referee to award a try without first referring it; and
2. by the TMO to still award a try after review.

Clearly grounded by gold.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
surely when the ball is held "grounding" basically means a part of the ball touched a blade of grass?
Exactly.

Gold was clearly trying not to ground it
I'm not so sure Crossref. I think he tried to present it first, then (realising he was under pressure and risked a PK) he twisted the ball to ground it - probably because a 5m scrum was preferable to a PK.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

didds

Evidently not .....when your hand is underneath it!

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
That's a really bad decision -
1. by the referee to award a try without first referring it; and
2. by the TMO to still award a try after review.

Clearly grounded by gold.

to the extent that RU laws require an on field decision prior to referral, not a bad decision.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Evidently not .....when your hand is underneath it!

It has been argued on these very forums that is a brave referee that is confident that a single hand beneath the ball has prevented any part of it touching a single blade of grass. That view has been made regarding a defender trying to prevent an attacker from scoring. I feel it inequitable not to consider the same for this defender's actions.