guideline question

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So this thread was an interesting enough thread, with a good question to start it off, and some back and forth on the nature of tactical advantage, which is almost always an interesting topic. No one was getting heated.

but then in the middle of it we got post #27 where Ian says that any ref making a certain advantage call would be "Mr Gotcha" a "clever dick",a "rhymes with hunt", "rhymes with anchor"

it's just name calling isn't it? and the sort of language that could earn a RC on a rugby pitch?

I'm not upset about it - but would like to ask the MODS, is that post within the guidelines/code of behaviour of the site? is the tenor of that post type of discussion/argument that the mods want to have on the site?

(I did hit the report post button but got no acknowledgement, so asking here)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I didn't read it the way that you did if I'm honest.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I didn't think it was particularly polite, but I don't think calling out a forum member in this way is appropriate either.

If you're not happy contact the mods direct, if they feels it's appropriate they will issue a sanction. There's no need for a whole thread in this to try and name and shame people.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
He did contact the Mods, as he makes clear in his last sentence.

I can't speak for the others, but I took NFA because, as I said, I had no issues with the post.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I didn't think it was particularly polite, but I don't think calling out a forum member in this way is appropriate either.

If you're not happy contact the mods direct, if they feels it's appropriate they will issue a sanction. There's no need for a whole thread in this to try and name and shame people.

I did contact the mods direct, but got no response, and Ian, of course, is a mod

Mods lead, presumably, by example. I was asking if that post is represents the type of discourse the Mods want and encourage on Rugby refs.
I guess I got an answer to my question

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I think - speaking personally - you got the reaction that I disagree with your diagnosis.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I didn't respond to the mod pm either as I didn't see anything to respond to.
Ian can be abrupt and direct sometimes, and I suspect that's what you really don't like, but he didn't use any offensive words, so I saw nothing to deal with.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
so it's only naughty words that we should be offended by? and we can circumvent that by saying, for example, duck off? or stop being a total anchor?

i don't have a particular view on the original incident, just that it's ok to say or do whatever you like as long as you don't use any naughty words. i believe this is the premise that the South Park film was based on...