Half Time

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Interesting scenario this past weekend.

L7 League match. Pre match preamble with the coaches all going well, team talks done and I'm just getting down to my own warm up routine.

Away Coach approaches me and says "Ref, this session if the changing rooms are close we go in at half-time."
I reply "Very sorry, but not this week as not at this level"
He comes back with "But every other ref this season has let us"
Me: "I'm sorry but unless the weather is inclement then you are not permitted so I am not allowing it"

Any one else had this? How have you handled it?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have had it once, also asking me before the game, and I allowed it (agreeing 5 mins, and telling the oppo, so they could also go inside if they wanted, which they didn't)

Changing room was alongside the pitch , so no problem there

TBH I had no idea there is a rule about it.

(They came out v promptly at about 4mins 50 seconds just as I had began to worry!)

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I couldn't care less if they go in or stay out!

Have seen both and never had an issue with it!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've only come across 2 teams doing it at L7 and that was only ever at home. Never come across an away team doing it. I assume they must do it at home too.

One of the teams is now L5 so I assume they keep doing it.

Other team are struggling in L7 so I'd imagine they've thought better of it. To be fair they were quite "professional" in their approach. The TJ called them on a walkie-talkie when I told him to get them out - ooohh er matron!

I'm not bothered and I'm not aware of any rule that says they can't. The only issue I can see is if the "stay outers" are ready to go and the "insiders" are still cabined up honing their second 40 tactics. I could see it being a bit of issue (a bit like teams being late out for KO) but I suppose if they're back out and ready to in 10 mins then there's not a lot I could do??

The benefit of both teams staying out is that invariably they are both ready for the second half a long way ahead of the 10 minutes allowed - is it 10 minutes?? LotG say <15 minutes but I'd seize up if I stopped for 15 minutes.

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've had it a couple of times in England at L7, is there a rule on this? If so can somebody quote it

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
.Subject to Appendix 2, all Matches shall be of 80 minutes duration, divided into
two halves of 40 minutes each. In all matches, the interval between each of the
two halves shall not be more than 15 minutes (unless both teams agree
otherwise to a shorter period) during which time the teams may leave the
playing enclosure. For matches at Level 5 and below, the Referee has the right to
insist that the half time interval is shorter and that the teams shall not leave the
pitch.

Who knew

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In all my matches , the teams stay on the pitch and half time lasts about 4 mins

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I really don’t care if they go in or stay out, but as half time here is 5 minutes they’ve got to be quick. Never happened in the 6 years I’ve been reffing.

On a side issue, I never believe anyone who tells me it was allowed previously. Had a player claim I the ref the previous week allowed a certain knee support, to which I replied he was lying as I reffed the previous week and told him to take it off then as well :D

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
On a side issue, I never believe anyone who tells me it was allowed previously. Had a player claim I the ref the previous week allowed a certain knee support, to which I replied he was lying as I reffed the previous week and told him to take it off then as well :D

I might have carded him for that if I was sure it was the same player.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
TBH if the player cant recognise the ref after just 7 days, or expects the ref to not recognise him in similar circumstances maybe he needs carding for stupidity! LOL.

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It doesn't say they can't go inside, it just says the referee can insist they stay out.

If the changing rooms are within site it would be a bit jobsworthy to insist they can't go inside. IMO

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Interesting scenario this past weekend.

L7 League match. Pre match preamble with the coaches all going well, team talks done and I'm just getting down to my own warm up routine.

Away Coach approaches me and says "Ref, this session if the changing rooms are close we go in at half-time."
I reply "Very sorry, but not this week as not at this level"
He comes back with "But every other ref this season has let us"
Me: "I'm sorry but unless the weather is inclement then you are not permitted so I am not allowing it"

Any one else had this? How have you handled it?

Why do you care where the team meets during halftime?

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Why do you care where the team meets during halftime?

Because of the faff of getting them back out again for the second half! Given there's a whole separate thread about making sure teams kick off the first half on time, it's no surprise that you also need management tools for getting the second half underway promptly.

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
[LAWS]In all matches, the interval between each of the
two halves shall not be more than 15 minutes (unless both teams agree
otherwise to a shorter period) during which time the teams may leave the
playing enclosure. For matches at Level 5 and below, the Referee has the right to
insist that the half time interval is shorter and that the teams shall not leave the
pitch.[/LAWS]

Who knew

I couldn't have quoted it chapter and verse, but I was aware that I had the right to refuse the request. It's Regulation 13.6.4 (f), if anybody cares to check!

In all my matches , the teams stay on the pitch and half time lasts about 4 mins

Ditto again. Don't most teams just want to get on with it?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It doesn't say they can't go inside, it just says the referee can insist they stay out.

If the changing rooms are within site it would be a bit jobsworthy to insist they can't go inside. IMO

Agreed. Surely the point of such a regulation is to allow for "special" issues and not to allow us to be jobsworths.

I've only once experienced going back to the changing roomsand this was allow both sides and me to change kit and warm up as the conditions were dreadful. We had a 20 minute break agreed but myself / coaches and captains.