[Law] Hand Off or Fend to the face/head/neck

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The actual offence was aN open hand push/strike to the face to an off the ball player, so wasn’t a hand off. It was an AR call.

? "push / strike"
Well was it a push (legal) or was it a strike (illegal) ?

Last edited:

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Doesn’t really matter. It was off the ball and to the head. As far as I can see there wasn’t much force. We don’t need to go down the route of semantics on this one. Both are illegal. Both are a ‘hit’ to the head.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
? "push / strike"
Well was it a push (legal) or was it a strike (illegal) ?

Off the ball as described. ...what more do you want to hear?

Edit. ...Unless you want to differentiate between yellow and red!

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ok so by off the ball, you mean neither player was the ball carrier ?
Fair enough then

Balones

Post Likes
The actual words used by the AR were “15 struck out with a flat hand” and the ref gave his reason to the captain as a “push to the face”. Take your pick.
The player who was struck was a player attached to a ruck.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I was over on the far touch line so too far away to see and player described it to me as a hand off.
AR was in position and I am sure she got the call right.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The actual words used by the AR were “15 struck out with a flat hand” and the ref gave his reason to the captain as a “push to the face”. Take your pick.
The player who was struck was a player attached to a ruck.

The plot thickens , I wouldnt describe an incident in a ruck as being "off the ball"

So for clarity : this was between two players in a ruck. The player striking out was not the ball carrier ?

Last edited:

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Why are we trying to invent more reasons to blow the whistle? Hand off away!!

Balones

Post Likes
The plot thickens , I wouldnt describe an incident in a ruck as being "off the ball"

So for clarity : this was between two players in a ruck. The player striking out was not the ball carrier ?

For even more clarity, the ball had just left the ruck and that was why (probably) the referee did not see it. The No15 entered the ruck area late and the altercation took place. The contact cannot be seen on the video but the AR was right next to the ‘ruck’ since it was very clise to the touchline.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For even more clarity, the ball had just left the ruck and that was why (probably) the referee did not see it. The No15 entered the ruck area late and the altercation took place. The contact cannot be seen on the video but the AR was right next to the ‘ruck’ since it was very clise to the touchline.

So it sounds like a perfectly reasonable decision, and nothing to do with hand offs

Balones

Post Likes
So it sounds like a perfectly reasonable decision, and nothing to do with hand offs

I can agree with that.:) Only wanted to explain what Camquin had thought he’d heard/been told.

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
In some regions there are some variations with regulations which stipulate no hand off above shoulder height.

Under 18 over here.
[/QUOTE]

@SimonSmith is this AU wide and still current (going by flag colour on posting, so apologies if you are not referencing AU or it's a state thing)?

I ref Juniors in Victoria, U12 pathways law rules it out clearly, but I'd love a clear reference for older juniors if there is one?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
US Game Management Guidelines call out specifically that
U19: Players may not fend an opponent in the face.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t give any clarity on what is fair or unfair once you get above that age and we’re back to square one…

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My understanding is that it is legal provided it amounts to a push rather than a hit ie it is the amount of force on contact that matters.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It is an anomally but yes it is legal (dangerous play considerations obviously can change that statement) However, I see no reason to allow you to hand off a player to the face as a ball carrier but if a "defender" used exactly the same action and force he'd not only be facing a PK but a possible card as well.

Plain daft.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Its just another example of where modern considerations and law changes now create anomalies with accepted and standard practices that have been around for well over a century. The same could be said of ball carriers dropping a shoulder into contact to brace and protect the ball etc which subsequently come into contact with a defender's head with force.
Im not saying either situation (ie the accepted practice or the modern laws and interpretations ) is correct or wrong... just that far more thought is needed when implementing new requirements as to how this actually pans out in historical practise

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Under 18 over here.

@SimonSmith is this AU wide and still current (going by flag colour on posting, so apologies if you are not referencing AU or it's a state thing)?

I ref Juniors in Victoria, U12 pathways law rules it out clearly, but I'd love a clear reference for older juniors if there is one?
[/QUOTE]
Someone else quoted the USA R guidelines.