[Scrum] Heads on shoulders

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I was under the dictinct impression that at "bind" heads were no longer to be permitted to be placed against the opposition shoulder?

This occurred throughout the Wales v Italy game.
eg

112.jpg

didds

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It occurred throughout all three games. :rolleyes:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
They even wrote it, new Law, into the 2020 Law book just a few weeks ago.

I think the elite refs are too busy watching for foot up and squint throw in too also look at binding requirements

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

I think the elite refs are too busy watching for foot up and squint throw in too also look at binding requirements

Well goodness knows how you chaps at grassroots can ever POSSIBLY manage that when you haven't got 2 x ARs, a TMO and going by other recent posts a time keeper all watching and commenting in your ear, aided and abetted with the availability of replays and slo-mos to fall back on...

It just underlines the question if referees are not going to ever enforce the laws then why have them in the first place? (I appreciate this is of course a top level issue, but as we have oft discussed does have ramifications generally for the grassroots refs faced with players that "see it like that on the telly" ).

Mind you - the scrum hasnt even started at "bind" -there are no squint feeds and feet up to look for at this juncture. Backlines & binds are done before the call of set (innit?), so at "bind" all that is left is heads and stationary surely ? how difficult is that?

didds

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Fortunately, keeping the "bind" phase orderly and patient has a very material effect on the quality and stability of the scrum for both sides, and I've yet to come across a pack that doesn't prefer that. It's a very easy sell, for me.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
appologies - I inadvertently wrote "set" in my OP that should of course been "bind" - if mods could edit that OP I'd be obliged for clarity etc.

sorry all!

DOH!

didds

Done.
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Did I miss something? I thought it was head to head that had been banned :shrug:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did I miss something? I thought it was head to head that had been banned :shrug:

[LAWS]New Law 19.10.b

The front-rows crouch with their heads to the left of their immediate opponents’, so that no player’s head is touching the neck or shoulders of an opponent[/LAWS]

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

How can you look for those things when the scrum isn't even set? :mad:

I wouldn't mind but it is only stage 3 (if you count marking the centre of the scrum as stage 1) of the whole game phase. :deadhorse:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was joking
The nomral reason given why elite refs don't look for squint feeds is that they are too busy looking at binding and positioning