"He's in control of the ball"

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
France v. England. Match on YouTube www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbssh2hs--8

At 17:33 game clock and 49:00 YouTube Noa Nakaitac score for France.

This try is not debatable as far as I'm concerned but the commentators kept questioning whether he had 'control'. Even NO asks "Did he have control?".

My thought is that control isn't required unless he lost it forward. Since he had downward pressure on the ball in contact with the ground then control isn't an issue.

Now, let's say he lost contact with the ball just before his foot lands over the dead ball line and then his hand re-contacts the ball as it lands on the turf with his foot in dead ball territory. That's a try! You'd need a prize set of cojones to award that.

Tending to the View attachment 3207

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
France v. England. Match on YouTube www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbssh2hs--8

At 17:33 game clock and 49:00 YouTube Noa Nakaitac score for France.

This try is not debatable as far as I'm concerned but the commentators kept questioning whether he had 'control'. Even NO asks "Did he have control?".

My thought is that control isn't required unless he lost it forward. Since he had downward pressure on the ball in contact with the ground then control isn't an issue.

Now, let's say he lost contact with the ball just before his foot lands over the dead ball line and then his hand re-contacts the ball as it lands on the turf with his foot in dead ball territory. That's a try! You'd need a prize set of cojones to award that.

Tending to the View attachment 3207

Providing the ball went straight down or back when he lost control AND it was on the ground when he grounds it then yes, you would need a prize set of cojones to award that.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Furthermore, if the ball is bobbling inside the in goal area and a player dives at the ball , a player can still score a try even if bounces off his chest downwards/forwards and then bounces back up again if his breasts are first to ground the ball again, provided it does hit his arm\hand before going forwards of course.

Memory says I've seen a try recently where it was scored by the attackers 'sixpack' ie... not using any arm/hand grounding , but I can't remember the incident to include a video .

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
What I think they were interested in by the control question is whether they thought he was still the ball carrier when he touched the ground with the ball. If he was not in control, then he had presumably lost the ball and you are then looking at lost forward? and downward pressure? and in this case not looking at whether his foot was out!

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I am happy it is a try, but geeze I feel perhaps the referee should award a scrum for sheer stupidity. I hope that guy gets a right royal bollocking for taking it so close to the dead ball line.