High Tackle parameters for sanction

breako

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
So, high tackle is a penalty. If there's velocity, force and it's more dangerous it can be YC / RD and it depends on the velocity, force, danger level and also the dynamics of the situation. For example, if Ball Carrier does a jink, head dip whatever - there's some common sense to this as well.

My question is, if a tackle is a seatbelt tackle, does it special treatment as in it is defo YC minimum in the same way a tip tackle would be?

In my view it wouldn't be. It is judge on force, velocity, tackle dynamics etc just like every other high tackle so could be penalty, YC or Red - depending on those parameters. There is no edict which states a seat belt must be a YC minimum?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
There isn't, and where they're penalised in the pro game it's usually a penalty only. I don't think I've seen a card for a seatbelt tackle, unless there was maybe a yellow in the first week or two of the new regime.

I can imagine that it could happen, where say a tackler swings around, the seatbelt arm rides up and catches the neck sideways or twists the head... but it's rarely that serious.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... I can imagine that it could happen, where say a tackler swings around, the seatbelt arm rides up and catches the neck sideways or twists the head... but it's rarely that serious.
For what it's worth, I'm inclined to agree.

As Dangerous Tackles go, the "seatbelt tackle" must be the least dangerous of a bad lot surely. :chin:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Seatbelt that goes round the throat?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
For me, seat belt tackle over the shoulder with no contact with head or neck is penalty only. Contact with head or neck and you are starting to look at impact and use that to determine if a card (and the colour of the card) is necessary.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
this is what we are working to:

[LAWS]World Rugby High Tackle guidance 2017
• World Rugby has provided new guidance regarding high tackles which are ‘reckless’ (minimum YC) and ‘accidental’ (minimum PK). Stricter enforcement is encouraged: ‘contact with the head’ should in most cases result in a PK minimum.
• To decide an appropriate sanction (PK, YC or RC), referees should be considering:
o Contact point – where did the tackle start/finish, was contact with hand, arm or shoulder?
o Action – was the tackling action accidental, reckless or deliberate?
o Degree of force – severity of impact, does the tackler ‘carry on’ through the tackle, e.g. around the neck?
• Referees should use common sense – but player safety is paramount.[/LAWS]

Nothing special about 'seat belt' tackles but they certainly fall into the High Tackle category.

The biggie for me is cleanouts above the shoulder line which will soon be above the nipple line. Very difficult to identify/manage IMO

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
9/10 Seat belt tackles I see are what I consider 'technical' high tackles, as in no contact with head or neck, probably no significant risk of injury, but technically high tackles, often a chase back into the 22 and penalty only for me.

I have had one that was about 5m and my immediate thought was penalty try (which I felt was harsh, yet, a penalty offence, beam him up and 100% a try), luckily momentum took the player over, try scored, and the extra 2 points would have made no difference so had a word with the tackler and moved on.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Most 'seatbelt' tackles are (generally) PK only IMHO.

However, if a team (Blue) have a high incidence of their players committing this type of tackle, you should consider escalating the sanction; after, of course, speaking with the Captain. Remember the Laws permit a YC for repeated infringements and this should be treated no differently.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I played in a game recently where a seat belt tackle was met with a Red Card. The tackler was shrugged off by the ball carrier before he was grounded. The ref blew for a PK, then called our player over, we thought that he was getting a YC but were gobsmacked when she produced a RC. He'd been on for about 10-15 mins (as a replacement at half time) and made 2 good tackles prior to this. Stunned with that call. lol

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I played in a game recently where a seat belt tackle was met with a Red Card. The tackler was shrugged off by the ball carrier before he was grounded. The ref blew for a PK, then called our player over, we thought that he was getting a YC but were gobsmacked when she produced a RC. He'd been on for about 10-15 mins (as a replacement at half time) and made 2 good tackles prior to this. Stunned with that call. lol
It will be interesting to see what the Disciplinary Committee think of it.