Hislop RC rescinded

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Forensic analysis of whether there was a real "step forward into the tackle", as seen by the referee. Different panels may well decide differently.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Forensic analysis of whether there was a real "step forward into the tackle", as seen by the referee. Different panels may well decide differently.
I am not clear why it should make a difference?
We are saying you can execute an upright tackle , high risk of head to head contact , and if you take care not to step forward it's not a RC ?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
They make it up as they go along.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
But if the bc runs into an upright, stationary defender, who braces himself for impact... Should the bc be rewarded?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
But if the bc runs into an upright, stationary defender, who braces himself for impact... Should the bc be rewarded?
Following the law, yes. Assuming the defender is attempting a tackle - active or passive - and not dropping their height then the law gives an advantage to the bc to essentially reward their possession.

If the defender is stepping into the bc path and not tackling them, then that is obstruction so bc can try to get through.

The law that “Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player who is not in possession of the ball must not hold, push, charge or obstruct an opponent not in possession of the ball” only applies to a player without the ball implies the bc can hold, push, charge or obstruct :)

Beyond the general prohibition of “reckless or dangerous to others” the bc gets a lot of leeway.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
A RC should never be a "reward" for the play of the other team
If that's the case we have seriously lost our way. A RC should be for egregious dangerous play

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I am not clear why it should make a difference?
We are saying you can execute an upright tackle , high risk of head to head contact , and if you take care not to step forward it's not a RC ?
Did you read the report?

"The panel, having heard evidence from the club and player, found that the player was entitled to mitigation under the Head Contact Process (HCP) having deemed that he was “passive” in the tackle whereas the match officials had decided that there was no mitigation available to the player under the HCP as the player had been “dynamic” in the tackle."

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did you read the report?
Yes, of course. Did you read my post ?

my question is why is the HCP written like that ? Why should being "passive" allow you to escape RC?

Last edited:

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
So to clarify the protocol WR will now have to define ’passive’ and ‘dynamic’?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I have often thought that a ball carrier should be sanctioned for head-butting a ‘static’ player.
(Now WR will need to define the difference between a static and a passive defender!)

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have often thought that a ball carrier should be sanctioned for head-butting a ‘static’ player.
(Now WR will need to define the difference between a static and a passive defender!)
If WR are really serious about player protection then the same protection needs to be given to all players wheter or not they are in possession of the ball.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Sorry, I should have been clearer - I was envisioning them being offside and deliberately impeding the bc but was in a rush to get back to the IT v WA game stream. ☺️
Fair enough....thanks.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I read passive tackle as a soak up tackle ie falling backwards with the advancing BC with a wrap to bring them to ground - that wouldnt require any forward step by the tackler - the tacjler just waits for the BC to arrive and falls over backwards hoilding them.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A RC should never be a "reward" for the play of the other team
If that's the case we have seriously lost our way. A RC should be for egregious dangerous play
And yet we sometimes find ourselves sanctioning a player due to the action of another player (and cue my usual rant about players who jump into a player waiting to catch a ball who the get a PK or more awarded against the static player….)

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Yes, of course. Did you read my post ?

my question is why is the HCP written like that ? Why should being "passive" allow you to escape RC?
Why would anyone in this group know why it was written like that?